Forums Latest Members

Excessive play ceramic bezel on SMP?

1. Raybone Apr 16, 2018

Hi all, i was just gifted a wonderful Brand new SMP W/ ceramic bezel, (manuf. Date 6/2016), and my only gripes thus far: the bezel has play in it. You can press downward on it and can feel it move slightly and even sometimes an audible click. I owned a 2221.80 b4 and it did not do this.
    20180416_134541.jpg
    Also not a fan of the sharp edges on the links which my old one also did not have. But can live with this one.

I tried the search func.and found no mention of the bezel issue. Would love to hear thoughts? Insights?

Shailor and savio.79 like this.
  2. Speedmasterfan88 Apr 17, 2018

Hi! I don‘t know if this is normal play, but my 2254 SMP does the same.

I wouldn’t call it excessive, but noticeable, and I also get the „click“ from time to time. I doesn’t bother me a bit though and the bezel seems to be securely in place. Lock up on the rotation is firm and positive, without any play in the clockwise direction.

Cheers,

Max

Edit: oh and congrats on that beautiful SMP, wear it in good health! :thumbsup:

Raybone likes this.
  3. taz101 Apr 17, 2018

I 100% had this issue. Was assured by the OB it was normal as he showed me the play on a display model. It was at this point I sold my beloved SMP and went to the Submariner.

4. Raybone Apr 17, 2018

Hmm. Thanks for replies all. The only mention I've read before someone at an o.b.said it's not normal. Yeah not THAT worried about it if others seem to do the same. But just for kicks I may drive 100+ miles to the nearest o.b. to see what they say. (THE 1 instance I've read, service eventually replaced his with a new one)

5. ostneb Apr 17, 2018

Please keep us posted. Mine has a little play in it as well.

Raybone likes this.
  6. Raybone Apr 17, 2018

Thank you this is my 2nd omega but my 1st automatic! Super stoked!

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  7. Raybone Apr 17, 2018

Will do. Hope to make the trek soon! No a.d.s nor o.b. in my city

8. verithingeoff Apr 17, 2018

My 2009 Seamaster has no play in the bezel[​IMG]

Raybone likes this.
  9. chanbar Apr 17, 2018

Mine does not have any play to it.

10. whitestripes Apr 17, 2018

Mine has no play.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 17, 2018

Lol 1 guess what the other is lol.

12. Raybone Apr 17, 2018

Uh quartz model lol. When i purchased it i literally couldn't wait to save the extra 600 or so for the mechanical one. But it wasn't a bad choice.....

13. Meme-Dweller Apr 18, 2018

maybe it's time to get your bezel clickspring replaced (or adjusted if you have the time)

Raybone likes this.
  14. REckroat Apr 18, 2018

I noticed a similar issue with my '09 Seamaster PO Chrono. After recently having it serviced trough Omega, I discovered some play on the bezel, both laterally and vertically. I took it back to the OB and they replaced the clickspring, and it still has a little play in both planes. I compared against my new Diver 300m chrono and there is no play in the bezel whatsoever. The technician staff in the OB that I spoke with all said that there should be no play on any bezel and offered to send back in for warranty work. It doesn't put the movement or anything at risk, but why not have it perfect?

Raybone likes this.
  15. Raybone Apr 18, 2018

That a what I'm saying haha. It's just not what I expect from omega. When I can i plan to drive to the o.b. in Nashville to check on it.....

16. any4xx Apr 18, 2018

I am wearing my SMP today. I just pushed, pulled, yanked, shoved, etc. On my bezel. Nada.

Wondering what’s up with yours....

17. Raybone Apr 18, 2018

Same here with the wondering. My 2221.80 didn't do this at all. Imma compare it to others there is just no stocking dealers closer than 100 mi.

18. vitriol Apr 22, 2018

Black and blue SMPc are mine whole actuall "watch collection". The blue has a noticeable vertical play, while the black bezel has zero play. Also the click of the black one is much nicer. That's funny, as I would expect the play comes with the watch's age, but the black one is almost twice time older than the blue.
    A topic of the bezel play comes over all the time. I've read the reason may be in the cases, originally SMPc had only one case and later Omega introduced an another case. I don't know was that a replacement or both are still in use(?).

19. chev33 Apr 23, 2018

I purchased a SeaMaster Planet Ocean right after Christmas last year (2017) and when I got it home noticed the play that you are speaking of. I couldn't hear a click but it defiantly moved left to right, too much for a watch of that price. I called the Omega store I purchased it and brought it back in. The in-house tech replaced a spring and it no longer has any play. Took like 20 minutes, easy fix. Bring it back to them.

20. Shailor Apr 23, 2018

Simple fix. Luckily you have nothing in it, so you may as well get it right sooner than later. By the way, my blue one has no play.

IMG_0296.JPG