Forums Latest Members
  1. tcs Jun 7, 2016

At Christies just sold for only 9k? Am I missing something here? I was expecting multiple(s) of that....

2. Mazoue Jun 7, 2016

It sold for less than the gold uni-compax in the same sale, which had a significantly lower estimate.
    Perhaps everyone did what I did, which was to assume that the price would be stratospheric and not bid?
    I didn't even consider it seriously. Was there something in the condition report that deterred bidders?

littlesheep81 likes this.
  3. tcs Jun 7, 2016

Not that I am aware of. I didn't register for the same reason as you. Could also be the placement as Lot 1, with some coming late and others saving for later pieces. But wow - winner is doing backflips. ::psy::

littlesheep81 likes this.
  4. littlesheep81 Jun 7, 2016

Even if absentee bidders thought it would not be within reach, have to question why those in the room held back?

tcs likes this.
  5. smitty190373 Jun 7, 2016

Very surprised there was no reserve if top notch.

tcs likes this.
  6. littlesheep81 Jun 7, 2016

7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 7, 2016

Among others, this result surprised me. There were quite a few attractive lots that were passed on early in the auction, and I expected strong results for the Evil Nina, Zenith A386, Autavia 3646, Autavia 2446C GMT, and 6238 Pre-Daytona right out of the gate. All struggled. Somewhat hard to explain.

More specifically, to the Evil Nina - the condition was rough. Not in the top-half of examples that I've seen, so I expected it to end at roughly $13-14K before premium (placing it in the high teen's). The previous owner apparently found it in a thrift shop for $2.49, which could explain why there wasn't a reserve on it...the guy was playing with house money anyways. Still, a very tepid result for UG in a second consecutive auction.

gophishin, smitty190373 and tcs like this.
  8. littlesheep81 Jun 7, 2016

Maybe Hodinkee hasn't been writing about them "enough" lately....? :rolleyes:

cristos71 and tcs like this.
  9. rcs914 Jun 7, 2016

*weeps* I never found deals like that. Still not as good as the $5.99 JLC here in Phoenix, but pretty good none the less.

tcs and littlesheep81 like this.
  10. E-diddy Jun 7, 2016

i didn't watch the a386, but it had some issues -- otherwise i would have bid on it for fun. i assume it had a reserve hence the pass?
    I think a little reality is setting in. people are being more selective (as they should be).

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 7, 2016

Yeah, there were six passes in the first 20 lots, which is a pretty terrible ratio. Guessing it had to do with reserves that were fairly high (I wasn't following along live so don't know how high the actual bidding went).

I know nothing about A386s (other than admiring them from a distance), but just assumed that it would be coveted by someone.

tcs and littlesheep81 like this.
  12. Mlafra Jun 7, 2016

that A386 had several things wrong: wrong tachymetre scale insert, wrong crown, all hands probably replacements, no mention of the serial number (which is very strange...). That is probably why it did not do well, also if the reserve price was the lower estimate, by the time the premium is taken into account it would have alreaday been 12.5k+ .... not really a bargain, especially for a watch with so many problems.
    I think the market us just becoming more aware and picky, that's all. I believe the right all-perfect A386 would sell for very good money.
    I also think that if the market is maturing and becoming more picky is only a good thing

13. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 7, 2016

I think that's a really good point, and it's been my chief contention to the "OMG THERE'S A BUBBLE ALL OF THESE WATCHES WILL BE WORTH PEANUTS NEXT YEAR" crowd. I think people are starting to realize that unless the condition warrants a high price, it's better to save the money and wait for a superior example to eventually come along. The gap between a "Good" example and "Collector" example is not linear, so it's completely conceivable to see a "Good" example sell for $11K in a Christie's auction, while a "Collector" grade is still worth $20K or will even continue to increase due to scarcity - not only of the reference, but of excellent examples of the reference.

There will always be a market for quality.

Gatsby, aap and tcs like this.
  14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 7, 2016

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 1.58.59 PM.png
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 7, 2016

Good grief. My uni is as nice as this. Didn't pay close to that last March in OF
    private sale.

Edited Jun 8, 2016
  16. Mlafra Jun 8, 2016

Saw this, it does puzzle me indeed as well. Perhaps it was incredibly mint? Perhaps the rare 2-tones dial? Not sure, but considering it was gold and relatively small at 34.50mm (i.e. both things not currently a favorite by the market) I'm a little surprised....

17. Diabolik Jun 8, 2016

I do feel that there are very few reputable auctions out there and shill bidding as well as artificially raising prices is
    rife. Seems the powers above have latched on and are squeezing honest collectors out of every penny they can. Just look at the the Heuer 2446M abomination on Auctionata and the 3646 at the same auction that fetched Euro 60K and Euro 40K respectively ...

It is a disgrace !

Larry S likes this.
  18. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jun 8, 2016

The market regained a small degree of sanity and we couldn't believe it?! :eek:

Dre, LouS, Carlton-Browne and 3 others like this.