Forums Latest Members
  1. sjg22 Jun 8, 2017

I'm looking at an Evil Nina that's currently for sale and was curious about the Board's take.

To my eye, the dial seems correct for a later 885103/01 (Printed UG logo, Swiss T 25 markings, overall feel). The serial number (#256XXXX) is clearly in range for a later dial. Hands all look good (could use a light cleaning...).

On the negative side, I think bezel is a replacement (no accent on TACHYMETRE - no DON) and imagine tracking a correct one down would be a challenge... Also, appears like there's some water damage on the dial (perhaps dirt... but looks more like water to me), although not enough to make this a total stay-away in my opinion. The bottom pusher and top pusher, from the photo, look like they're different distances from the case.... maybe the photo, maybe the top has been replaced... Also hard to tell from the photos about the lume.

I'm going to see the watch in person tomorrow so will post additional pictures. Interested in movement condition given that it appears as if it's seen water in the case....

What are these trading for right now? I've seen pricing anywhere from $11,000 at auction to $28,000 (for a white dial listed right now on Chronocentric), and everything in between. Condition looks ok (Clearly would need a service and cleaning...) - certainly not top flight but not a total dog - what should I be paying for this?

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

Evil Nina.PNG
    Just Livin likes this.
  2. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 8, 2017

You've done your homework - glad to see that (a nice refreshing change from many others who have posted similar topics).

I've stayed pretty close to the Compax market over the past few years and would generally say a "good" Evil Nina is high teen's to low 20's at the moment (which appears to be where they've settled in consistently..hasn't been much variation). The example above, however, would fall closer to the "Running" category, which is likely half of the range above. I would think pretty hard about dropping close to $10K on a watch with a couple issues that will never be corrected (staining on sub-dials and replacement bezel that's essentially unobtainium). The "condition, condition, condition" mantra matters more now than ever before, so I would personally advise that you wait to find a good example and spend more, as opposed to buying this one. That said, if the asking price is something like $5K, then of course go for it!

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 8, 2017

+1 .... no way.

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 8, 2017

Don't really know much about these, but @ChicagoFrog is spot on this one. The case looks soft to me, and that is deal breaker in my book...then you add the dial and other issues, and what do you have...a really mediocre reference. Save your money and get the best example you can.

If it were $5k, hell yeah, buy as a beater and wear the hell out of it.

If $10k...then I can think of a ton of watches that I would rather have that have so much more upside.

5. Kmart Jun 8, 2017

Even at $5k (which, let's be honest, the seller is probably not asking anywhere near $5k), there are so many better options. Even in today's collector market that kind of money can still can buy you a lot of watch.

6. Diabolik Jun 8, 2017

I dont see that evil nina as a complete loss. evil nina dials are easier to find than nina dials. Considering current prices, i would edge of 5 or a little higher on that one while factoring in a dial. The only thing that i would ensure is that there is no corrosion on movement and that numbers are intact on case back as case does look a little worn. I have a problem with the bezel but they can be found ... My cheese is serial and reference, no numbers no deal ...

7. melanieux Jun 8, 2017

i kind of like the looks of the discolored sub-dials...
    :unsure:

Mapearso likes this.
  8. sjg22 Jun 8, 2017

Thanks for all the feedback guys! The knowledge provided by members of this forum is incredible.

The watch is being auctioned two blocks from my office in a "modern jewelry" auction. Kind of hidden in the middle of the catalogue, randomly, amongst pearl earrings and some ladies datejusts.

Estimate (for what it's worth) is $3.5k-6.5k. And they referenced "Evil Nina" in the item description, so someone, somewhat, knows about this reference.

I cropped the lugs a bit (strap it's on in the photo is hideous), so I'll have to see it in person to see how soft it is.

From what I'm gathering, if acquired inside the estimate range, it would be a pretty good buy. Outside... not so much.

Edited Jun 8, 2017
    GuiltyBoomerang, watchknut and bazamu like this.
  9. melanieux Jun 8, 2017

Let us know how it goes! :)

noelekal likes this.
  10. Diabolik Jun 9, 2017

It may go for a much higher amount. There are lots of collectors out for a bargain.

Larry S likes this.
  11. sjg22 Jun 9, 2017

Saw it in person. Clearly needs a service - minute hand can only be set in one direction. Apparently hasn't been opened - so movement condition is a question mark.

Dial clearly seen water. They've removed an inscription from the caseback, although the case otherwise didn't seem as soft as perhaps was thought. They also said the bezel was replaced, which was already clear.

Terrible strap.

Clearly this could sell above reserve as it's a collectable reference. At $5k I might be a buyer and then spend some money on a service and go from there, but anything more and I think it gets tenuous from a value perspective...

IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0512.JPG
  12. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 9, 2017

Case looks much better in those pics. Good luck!

13. MaiLollo Jun 9, 2017

The dial still looks wereable though, not all of them need to be perfect! I'm probably an outlier, but I prefer a grandma that aged quite a bit vs a lifted grandma

Tet, aap, andy_s and 2 others like this.
  14. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 9, 2017

I prefer grandmas that sat in the dark for most of their lives and still look perfect...wait, this metaphor is getting weird

frederico, aap, Kmart and 8 others like this.
  15. Diabolik Jun 9, 2017

looks like the canadian one. well, having had a second look, i think you will find that it will go for a lot more. I think it is a bargain at 5. the minute hand not moving or only moving one way could be a number of things all pretty simple. Parts for the V72 are readily available so service or fix is again straight forward.

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 9, 2017

Donald is that you? Love Melania...

Edward53 and billving like this.
  17. sjg22 Jun 13, 2017

Mine for $5,500 (USD - auction was in Canada) incl. buyers premium.

Good buy I'm hoping?

Will need a service but I'm happy!!!

Thanks for the guidance - this board is an incredible resource.

Edited Jun 14, 2017
  18. melanieux Jun 13, 2017

ooooo, congrats!
    i think it's rather attractive.. hope it works out well for you :)

sjg22 and propervinyl like this.
  19. billving Jun 14, 2017

Good luck with it

sjg22 likes this.
  20. Mazoue Jun 14, 2017

An absolute steal at that price, congratulations. I was greatly surprised it did not sell for more.

sjg22 likes this.