Forums Latest Members
  1. Mapearso Dec 12, 2016

Hello,

I am a long-time lurker but I don't post very often. I am also admittedly a bit of a hoarder and I have managed, over time, to source a number of UG "Nina" parts

What I have --
    *Movement, dial ("Evil Nina") , case, case back, bezel, pushers, crystal and bracelet (with unmarked endlinks)

What I NEED --
    *Handset
    *Crown

If anyone has a handset or crown (or can point me in the direction of them) please let me know. Alternatively, I know from aggregating all the parts I have that it can take time (and be expensive), so if you have suggestions on reasonable alternatives for the hands and crown, to use in the meantime until I find originals, I am open to ideas

Please note, I KNOW that this watch will be a FRANKEN... but with prices what they are, it's all I can do right now (timing is everything... shoulda bought one a few years ago instead of my Tudor big block... oh well). Also note that it is not my intention to sell and in the unlikely event I ever decide to do so, I will fully disclose.

Many thanks in advance for any help....and for the insight and info this forum has already provided!!

2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Dec 12, 2016

I don't know if I would consider a properly assembled watch a Franken. The term "franken" is generally used when someone builds a watch out of a hodge podge of parts not correct. For example the correct dial and case, but hidden underneath is a similar but not correct movement and hands from an earlier reference...or similar franken builds.

While what you are doing should be disclosed if ever sold...its hardly a Franken.

3. sgtpry Dec 12, 2016

I agree, if all parts are correct, it can be described as more to a "build up" like Watchco SM300 Vintage
    Franken if some parts are not correct to the original watch IMHO

4. Mapearso Dec 12, 2016

Thanks guys. Maybe I was being too hard on the watch. Just wanted to make it clear that I'm not going to pretend it's 100% authentic / original / legit as it came from the factory on day 1. That said, I sure would like to find the few remaining bits so it can be as close as possible!

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 13, 2016

If everything but the hands and crown are original/came from the same watch, I wouldn't even be quick to call it a put-together. I mean - it would be a vintage watch with a few replacement parts. Crown are replaced all the time. Hands not so much - but it happens.

6. Mapearso Dec 14, 2016

Thanks again for the replies. Like I said, perhaps I was being too critical in my assessment of what I have and what I am doing. Didn't mean to open up a can of worms, but I understand it's an important and at times controversial issue.

Back to my main question -- If anyone has a handset or crown (or can point me in the direction of them) please let me know.

Alternatively, I know from aggregating all the parts I have that it can take time (and be expensive), so if you have suggestions on reasonable alternatives for the hands and crown, to use in the meantime until I find originals, I am open to ideas. So for example, a blank crown would be OK for now, but I would at least want it to be original spec in terms of size

Thanks again

7. keywerd Dec 28, 2016

8. Tbone Dec 28, 2016

Boom...great find @keywerd !

@Mapearso - I'd jump on that like white on rice....

9. Mapearso Dec 29, 2016

Thanks guys. It went quick, but unfortunately I didn't get it
    I contacted the seller to see if he has any other parts

10. keywerd Jan 8, 2017

11. Mapearso Jan 8, 2017

12. keywerd Jan 8, 2017

For what its worth, i've bought a number of pieces off of him with no issues whatsoever.

13. Mapearso Jan 8, 2017

Thanks. Reassuring to know you've had good dealings with the seller

14. Mapearso Nov 15, 2017

She's not a concours-quality restoration or an untouched survivor ... but I think she will make a heck of a daily driver.

IMG_4752.JPG IMG_4753.JPG IMG_4754.JPG
  15. clundp Nov 15, 2017

Looks fantastic!

16. Dre Nov 15, 2017

Congrats mate, seems like a nice beater! That's an interesting bezel, mind sharing on how or where did you get it?

17. Mapearso Nov 16, 2017

Thanks Mate. The Bezel came with the case when I bought it. I know the font is wrong in that it lacks the serifs of an original UG Bezel. Can't say for sure if it's a service replacement but that's what I was told. I'd love an original but I'm not holding my breath.

18. ELV web Nov 16, 2017

It is still a DON!

Lucasssssss likes this.
  19. Lucas Nov 16, 2017

HOLD UP!!!!

Whatchout these are coming from Vietnams and are likely to be fakes!

20. keywerd Nov 16, 2017

Do tell...