Forums Latest Members

Europe travel advice needed

1. calalum Aug 15, 2022

We are heading to Europe for the first time since the pandemic began and due to a flight scheduling change find ourselves with a free travel day. We are arriving through Munich airport and will be heading to San Cassiano in the Italian dolomites. We have a free day to spend in Munich or somewhere between Munich and San Cassiano. Unfortunately, since it is a family trip, I am not looking for watch related activities, We would be interested in must see historical sites, museums, natural sites, etc. We will have a rental car. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. pdxleaf ... Aug 15, 2022

Deutsches Museum is one of the world's premier museums.

3. Donn Chambers Aug 15, 2022

When will you be in Munich? Octoberfest starts September 17 and lasts until October 3. Well worth visiting (and it is family-friendly). Wouldn’t take the rental car there, though!

Edited Aug 15, 2022
    connieseamaster and watchyouwant like this.
  4. RI Omega Fan Aug 15, 2022

5. flw history nerd Aug 15, 2022

I've never been to Germany (yet), but my wife has been there many times, and Munich is one of her favorite destinations. If you or anyone in your family are automotive enthusiasts, she says the BMW Zentrum is a fantastic museum. She also says that the Glockenspiel on the Marienplatz is amazing when it chimes on the hour. She recommends eating at the Hofbrauhaus as well, for the experience.

Archer likes this.
  6. Dan S Aug 15, 2022

I don't know how old your children are and what type of experiences might interest you, but the Dachau concentration camp is close to Munich, and it is very much worth visiting one of these places at least once in your life, IMO, especially given the times in which we are living with the rise of nationalism and authoritarianism.

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 15, 2022

Eating at the Hofbraeuhaus? Oh Dear. That is only for American Tourists. Weisses Braeuhaus around the corner only. Or the Augustiner Keller or outside , the Augustiner Beergarden. All around the Main railway station in the center. That's were locals go....

8. sheepdoll Aug 15, 2022

One thing I did, which worked out great, was to take my old iPhone6 (which i had unlocked.) I then was able to purchase a local sim card with an unlimited data plan. Gives one a local number for call backs and some systems use two factor authentication texting a code to a local mobile.

Be sure to check with your carrier, as roaming charges can be a bit of a shock. If you let the provider know when you will be there they can do this as a flat rate, but 20 bucks a day can add up quickly.

Edit: this also enabled google maps which uses the cell towers to activate the GPS location services.

Edit edit: You are reminding me of my trip to Munich and Salzburg, Austria. Speaking of GPS it is amazing how close Salzburg and Munich are. When we took the obligatory tour to the field where "Sound of Music" was filmed, One could see the top of the Munich TV tower.

-j

Edited Aug 15, 2022
    kkt and noelekal like this.
  9. sheepdoll Aug 15, 2022

Come to think of it, I now remember our cuckoo clock played "Dr. Zhivago" on the hour, and "In Munich there's a Hofbraeuhaus on the half. I still have the movement waiting for a new speed govener. The clock itself has been stored in a paper bag for about 30 years. WD-40 got sprayed in it, and it ate the mechanism. The only real repair is to replace the whole thing.

I could have got a toy cuckoo clock in the Zurich airport with my pocket change but I got this instead. I had in mind to get some mars bars (Not available in the US) but the ones I had in my purse melted.

-j

IMG_1948.png
    iamvr and Dan S like this.
  10. paddymoran Aug 15, 2022

I would second the Salzburg recommendation- it’s about 1.5 hours from Munich by car. It’s a really picturesque town and the home of Mozart. In Munich the Olympic Stadium is close to the BMW Museum and is worth a visit. The Olympic pool is also open to the public.

noelekal and watchyouwant like this.
  11. johnireland Aug 15, 2022

Or you could decompress from your flight and just go for a walk in the city...get a feel for life there...visit a grocery store, buy some food, and have a picnic in a park...later hop on a bus or trolly and see the city from that point of view. Make it a relaxing day with little to no agenda except getting lots of sleep that night. Also, take some Melatonin to help reset your sleep clock. Better to buy it here than over there.

12. Evitzee Aug 15, 2022

Just take it easy on your drive south, spend extra time along the way. I never found that the first day after an overseas flight was the best time to go sightseeing. Going to a museum the first thing would be a killer for me.

kkt likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 15, 2022

I could easily live in Munich. I agree that the BMW museum or factory tour are good things to catch.

The Hofbrauhaus is definitely an experience, but the food isn’t the greatest.

Mark020 and FREDMAYCOIN like this.
  14. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 15, 2022

Just realized, that this is a family trip: your best bet for one day in Munich might be: stay in the City. Enter the inner city pedestrian zone from the Arch entry. That's where the old Mayor's building is. If you can, watch the Glockenspiel with the real life large Schaeffler figures dancing daily 11am and noon. Turn left to the Victualien market, a pituresc and very old open air food market with Bavarian specialties. A must in Munich. Then the rest of the family can go window shopping in that long pedestrian street for expensive clothes or Rolex.... And do not miss the best Bavarian restaurant in the area , Im Tal. Weisses Braeuhaus/ Schneider Weisse for lunch/breakfast ( weisswurst breakfast with fresh Pretzels...) If you have Energy left, walk from there to the Deutsche Museum. Pick only one section; it is overwhelming with technical exhibits.... Enjoy Munich !

Screenshot_2022-08-16-10-02-04-411_com.android.chrome.jpg
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 15, 2022

If you stay in Munich and visit the clock tower at Marienplatz, go to the Ratskeller in the City Hall building. A little touristy, but much better food than Hofbrauhaus. No oom-pa-pa band there though.

The BMW Center was also fun, but don’t miss the top floor where they keep the prototypes and show cars.
    gatorcpa

janice&fred likes this.
  16. calalum Aug 15, 2022

You guys are the best. Thanks for all the information.

Taddyangle and noelekal like this.
  17. pdxleaf ... Aug 16, 2022

And pictures afterwards!

18. FREDMAYCOIN Aug 16, 2022

All of the above are great things to do and see, while at the clock tower with the family I snuck into the Sinn boutique and even got a couple of free caps.

janice&fred likes this.
  19. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 16, 2022

Münich is one of my favourite cities so I would definitely spend the day there.

20. FREDMAYCOIN Aug 16, 2022

Disregard the Sinn store was in Frankfurt