Forums Latest Members

Eterna experts: sleeper Super Kontiki Shayetet 13 on eBay?

1. jaspers Feb 10, 2020

With the risk of angering some folks who thought they were in for a steal, I found this Eterna Super Kontiki on eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network that prompted some questions for me. The seller either is playing coy or doesn't know what he's selling.

The bezel is obviously incorrect, but the markings on the back clearly indicate IDF--correct? Can we assume this one was issued to the Shayetet 13, or were these kontikis more widely distributed amongst the IDF in the 1970s? And are replacement bezels easy to come by?

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.58.08.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.58.21.png

Litempo likes this.
  2. simonsays Feb 10, 2020

Those markings are incorrect. Wrong type face and size. One to avoid. The Super Kontiki on the dial is also in an odd typeface I have not seen before, I think it's a re dial?

Edited Feb 10, 2020
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 10, 2020

Agreed with the above. It looks like a laser etched fake.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  4. janice&fred Feb 10, 2020

Oh the memories. Back a decade or so My wife and I bought an authentic IDF Super Kontiki from James Dowling complete with original bracelet in spectacular condition and including a paper trail of provenance for the astronomical sum of $1500. After a few months I felt the thing was a bit too chunky, got bored with it and traded it to Pavel at the 26th st. Chelsea weekend market for some random datejust. I still wake up in cold sweats over that blunder.

5. asrnj77 Feb 10, 2020

The case back looks like it’s been “aged” with sandpaper. All the scratches are in the same direction.

6. janice&fred Feb 10, 2020

the less obvious red flag is Hebrew engravings that closely follow the circular case back curve. The engravings are always "off" and make for a larger curve.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  7. jaspers Feb 10, 2020

Thanks folks! Upon closer inspection, some things do look off. When comparing the case back markings, to a legit IDF Super Kontiki, a few things stand out:
    - The zeroes and nines are quite different
    - the curve of the Eterna and IDF markings indeed differs

Furthermore the "super-kontiki" on the dial (instead of Kontiki [full stop] Super) on the legit IDF looks more similar to a 1960s iteration of the same watch—which is strange.

Anyway, thanks for educating me here. I know nothing of Eterna, but have a soft spot for issued watches.

8. simonsays Feb 10, 2020

The Davidoff Brothers watch in that link is also not a correct military example. Those engravings are also not in the correct format.

Here are two correct examples. The style of the engravings are quite distinct, and unlike other military watches never change in style. The issue number at the top always has curved topped 3 and open 4, while the stock number at the bottom has flat 3 and closed 4 and the 0 never touch. IMG_2962.jpg

The other genuine engravings are the drunken m style. These are also very distinctive in style.

11230000c_zoom_v1558205442232.jpg

Edited Feb 10, 2020
    Mark020 and jaspers like this.
  9. jaspers Feb 10, 2020

No kidding! Who can you still trust these days? You obviously have done your research on IDF Kontikis—how have you gathered the required information? I'd be eager to learn.

10. janice&fred Feb 10, 2020

Mark020 and jaspers like this.
  11. markie916 Jun 18, 2020

Hi Simon. Have you read the Michele Galizia book that says the drunken "M" is for Marinah which means Navy. So those pieces were issued to officers or divers. The watch engravings with lots of numbers he says are pieces listed as issued to Shayetet 13. Have you ever had a direct translation of the engravings from Hebrew. I have and the meanings left me with more questions. One being to get another translation done. Whats your understandings of the direct translations? Mark.

Litempo likes this.
  12. river rat Jun 19, 2020

Here is mine all original
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For comparison bezel insert wrong plus marking on the ebay one avoid don's waist your money on it.

Mark020 likes this.
  13. tzachi Jun 19, 2020

Havn't read the "Michele Galizia book that says the drunken "M" is for Marinah which means Navy". but the "M" is for MIL, not Marina.
    The markings of M issued to S13 as well as "many numbers" (נ xxxxxx צ ). I have both examples, directly from the S13 men, they are at thier 60's -80's . so both versions are Legit for S13. There are additional watches issued to S3 and S7. I'll write someday about the watches issued to IDF .

sgoody1 and Litempo like this.
  14. Mainspring1665 Sep 29, 2020

I’m pretty sure there are a group of us that would pay you to drop some issued IDF watch knowledge.

tzachi likes this.