Forums Latest Members

Estimated value of my watch

1. emax Apr 7, 2015

Hello Guys and Experts

I got a watch from my mother's uncle after he passed away.
    I would like to know the estimated value of it and some hint about where should I send it to be repaired.

Thank you,

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG
  2. calalum Apr 7, 2015

Others will need to chime in, but I am going to guess somewhere in the low to mid three digits. Find a good local watchmaker that specializes in vintage watches to have it cleaned up and enjoy it.

3. ulackfocus Apr 7, 2015

4. emax Apr 7, 2015

Well, I found crazy numbers to repair it, just want to know that would it worth to repair or shall I keep it as it is ?!

5. emax Apr 7, 2015

But seriously how much do you guess it worth to pay for service ? Any idea ?

6. peatnick Apr 7, 2015

[​IMG]

The gentleman pictured seems to be more a renter than purchaser, not that there's anything wrong with that . . .

AAAKK likes this.
  7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 7, 2015

Wes Grau at Cornerstone Service in Gurnee IL. I believe his base cost for servicing is $275.

Tom

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2015

Not sure what "crazy numbers" are for repairs, but generally speaking the cost of doing a repair has nothing to do with the value of the watch.

Only you can decide if it's worth putting the same money (or more) as the watch is worth into fixing it up. I often charge more than a watch is worth to repair it, but most of those watches have sentimental value, so the monetary worth doesn't mean anything to the owners.

And if you let us know where you are located, it would help giving advice on who to send it to. Some people assume everyone on here is in the US it seems, but that is far from accurate.

Cheers, Al

PatrickJ likes this.
  9. Canuck Apr 7, 2015

Think of in terms of whether you will derive x dollars worth of pleasure out of wearing the watch, rather than repair cost vs current market value. Lots of people blow lots of money on transitory things that are gone in a heartbeat. Whereas, a successfully repaired watch will give you pleasure for years.

10. emax Apr 8, 2015

Hello Guys, I live in Sweden and interested to repair the watch So please tips me some good place for get it repaired.
    I will open it and check the omega caliber serial number which seems needed for repairing!?
    Would "caliber serial number" useful for estimation of the value of the watch ? Any idea ?

11. Fusion Apr 8, 2015

Ask Al for your options for shipping to him, he is in Canada and a lot of us including me have used him with great satisfaction in the past.. I think the valuations are pretty spot on by the members, I would guess between 300-500 USD but I am NO expert so take our opinions with a grain of salt. Servicing it will likely cost more than the watch is worth but if the watch has sentimental value, freaking do it man!! I just had this citizen serviced: 2015-04-03 13.04.38.jpg

it needed a new movement among many other things, the cost was more than what it goes for new, but it was a gift from my father in the 5th grade and my first automatic so it was worth every penny. Hope this helps.

PatrickJ and blufinz52 like this.
  12. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 8, 2015

Living in Sweden it makes little sense to send a watch of relative limited value across the pond to Canada. I am also sure that Al has more than enough work on his hands as it is.
    I would estimate the value of the watch, if all else is ok with the movement, at best around SEK1500. It is not an uncommon or really collectible model except from a personal/sentimental side.
    As for servicing, I would expect the cost should run at about SEK1200-1800 depending on parts needed. Please PM me if you would like some recommendations. I am in Norway but will normally send my watches to the UK for service as the prices locally is not of this/my world.
    Like in many other cases, spending the money needed for a service will not give you a SEK5000 watch! At best you could perhaps get SEK3000 after it has been fully serviced, so service is for sentimental reasons only and not to make money.
    On the other hand if you use it without servicing it will not survive for long.

13. emax Apr 8, 2015

Thank you guys
    I would like to change the glass and strap too, do you know if there are Omega services in Europe that do these services ?

14. marturx Apr 8, 2015

Vänd dig till Axel på farfars klocka. Ingen ide att gå över ån efter vatten.

15. emax Apr 13, 2015

Hello Guys,

Do you perhaps know a shop that sells good strap for Omega with good price ?
    I don't fake stuff but not either the super expensive ones ?