Forums Latest Members

Enicar Chronometer in Pink Gold

1. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 21, 2013

Enicar made a lot of excellent tool watches, but they aren't known for chronometers. They produced watches they called "Supertests" in the 60's, with in-house automatic movements which they "certifed" themselves after running them through their own series of tests, but they don't seem to have submitted a lot of watches for observatory testing.

At some point in the 50's, however, before Enicar began to produce their own automatic movements, they dressed up some Adolph Schild automatic movements (the AS 1361N, also used in the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms), upping the jewel count from 17 to 30 (at least that's what the rotor says), and made some certified chronometers. Ebel, Rado and Zodiac produced certified chronometers in the 50's using the AS 1361N (examples can be seen in von Osterhausen's "Wristwatch Chronometers"), but I didn't know Enicar had done this (nor did Von Osterhausen, it seems, so they probably didn't make very many of them) until I saw the watch below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the Enicar next to a competitor of similar shape and size. Both watches measure about 34 mm across by 41 mm lug-to-lug, but the Seamaster is just a hair bigger in each dimension.

[​IMG]

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jul 21, 2013

You're starting a very nice Enicar collection. Keep them coming!

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 22, 2013

Haha so true! They should have squeezed the words "engraving-proof" in there somewhere for extra protection.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 22, 2013

Nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo......

Stop telling them about Enicars!

They're my "secret Swiss Watch next big thing" and now everyone on the forum is going to be grabbing them with a resultant supply and demand result that prices will go up and my supply will be gone:(

And if Dennis sees any of the superflat ones we're all done.:mad:

5. ulackfocus Jul 22, 2013

Nice beefy lugs. Very 2757. :thumbsup:

Are they in-house ultra-thins? More info please.

6. Dablitzer Jul 22, 2013

That's a superb watch, beautifully sharp case too.. ;)