Forums Latest Members
  1. Macobrien1 Dec 22, 2014

Hey. I recently got a Omega Aqua Terra master co-axial. The idea is to commemorate a loss and have something that I can pass down to my son.

I want to get two names engraved on the watch. The aesthetics of the engraving doesn't matter to me. I want to get two names engraved on either side of the crown.

Anyone have any advice? Will this jeapordize the watch at all? I realize i won't be able to resell the watch or return it if i engrave it.

let me know if you have any experience/comments on best way to get it done. Thanks.

2. OrangeSport Dec 22, 2014

I like my watches to be engraved, but I go for replaceable parts (case back, clasp etc).

3. Tritium Dec 22, 2014

I would personally try to engrave the case back instead.
    You can try to ask Thomas Preik if he can make a custom one to engrave on it and preserve the original.

Taddyangle and sarir97 like this.
  4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 22, 2014

It's your watch and your choice. I actually think that engraving the case is a good move for two reasons:
    1. It is engraving the thickest metal so any future polishing won't have a negative effect on the integrity of the case.
    2. As it will detract from the value of the watch on the second hand market (or at least, severely limit the potential purchasers) it will ensure the watch stays in the family for generations to come.

So, from me it's a thumbs-up.:thumbsup:

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 22, 2014

When asked this question on previous occasions, I've always recommended adding a nice engraved plaque the the box, rather than engraving the watch itself.

6. Lee CL Dec 23, 2014

If you want the watches to pass down from generation to generation, engraving on the watch itself will ensure that the watch is likely to lose most of it's value and there is a very remote chance of selling off.

7. datniche27 Dec 24, 2014

I wouldn't engrave the watch itself personally, but if you do I'd do the caseback.

8. fskywalker Dec 25, 2014

Can be done as some watches comes with such engravings from factory (like my 150th SMP Titanium), but getting it done by a third party seems risky. I concur back casing cover might be a better idea.

9. Macobrien1 Dec 25, 2014

image.jpg Hey all. Thanks. I ended up getting it engraved. I had a pro do it by hand and watched the process. No strain on the watch. Very happy with it. image.jpg

lerxst, Taddyangle, Nactex and 2 others like this.
  10. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 25, 2014

Looks good and if it really means that much to you then so be it. That can be repaired via a good laser welder so no worries.

11. fskywalker Dec 26, 2014

Looks good!

12. sarir97 Dec 26, 2014

It's your watch and your heirloom. Congrats on doing what makes you happy, rather than worrying about resale.

13. TLIGuy Dec 26, 2014

Look nice. Much better than the guy that did this one....

EdWhiteSpeedmaster.jpg

Diverdown likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 27, 2014

Looks great mate enjoy it

15. Nactex Jan 29, 2015

I think your engraving was very tastefully done. Plus on the left side, it will be scene every time you look at the watch. Very nice remembrance.

16. iflyem1 Jan 29, 2015

I think it looks good. I have 2 watches I want to pass along to my sons but I think for me I will have the back casing engraved.

17. Diverdown Jan 29, 2015

Clearly it's not a watch you intend to sell, so good for you for starting a family tradition (not sure if that's the right word, but 'heirloom' doesn't seem to fit right). The work looks clear, clean, and discrete. I don't think you jeopardized the watch at all; you added to its awesomeness. Your son will no doubt treasure it when he inherits it.

This was given to my grandfather after 25yrs at his work. He wore it all the time (the man - and the company - had taste). My father had it for years after Grandad died. It was passed down to me not so long ago - and I gifted one of my watches up to dad later. For me, the engraving makes this watch (the splash of red on the dial is in good taste too); a piece of my grandfather I carry with me often. Some watches may come and go, but this one will never leave my family... at least it better not!
    image.jpg

OmegaRookie likes this.
  18. jrpippen Jan 30, 2015

Ah, no. Just no.

19. bill5959 Jan 30, 2015

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    :thumbsup:

20. 250scr Jan 30, 2015

Do as you wish. It's yours.