Forums Latest Members

Endless supply of Respirators?

1. Habitant Oct 27, 2013

Hi, perhaps this has been discussed here before, but I didn't find any thread relating to it. It seems to me that there is a significant group of Turkish watchmakers (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/peneyes/&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2754 is one such... perhaps just one guy with multiple IDs, can't tell...) who appear to have any endless stream of Respirators coming through every week on eBay.

Are they all frankens, cobbled together from stray cases, dials and movements? There really doesn't seem to be a particular pattern to their offerings, though. Al

What's the story? Is Zenith a super popular brand in Turkey, and particularly Respirators? I know it's a bigger brand in Italy, for example, than it is in the UK, but Turkey? Kind of a premium priced watch brand for a country which used to be of limited means, no?

Okay, the offerings are probably lower than the general tastes of Zenith collectors here, but I admit that I've got a taste for Respirators and always keep an eye out. Any thoughts, opinions on the subject?

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 27, 2013

I think most of these are frankens, made of parts that are generally not in the best shape.

Regarding the the Turkish origin, I have never seen any evidence (apart from perhaps the railroad pocket watches and the old Serkisoffs) that Zenith was popular in Turkey that way that it was in Italy and Finland. It has occurred to me that like the occasional very fine vintage that appears on sale from Bulgaria and Romania, these watches (or more likely parts) have been picked up in western Europe (junk sales or perhaps less savory methods) and sent to local watchmakers who assemble them into working product.

3. Habitant Oct 27, 2013

As I suspected. Thanks for your take on it.

4. Lex4TDI4Life Oct 28, 2013

I fell for one of these as part of paying my noob tax. Probably a franken, but it was cheap and looks good on the wrist. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered.

[​IMG]

5. Habitant Oct 28, 2013

The interesting thing is just how many early Respirator case and 2542 (etc) movements they seem able to find. Believe me, I've looked for parts movements and there aren't that many around (and maybe this is why!).
    Anyway, here's one of mine as a toast to non-Turkish Respirators... as usual, a dance to replace the crystal (I'm fast friends with

elisabeth9679 now) and the usual white knuckle ride trying to clean off the melted rubber gasket without damaging the dial.​

Sigh.

_MDH8566.jpg

SeanO and Lex4TDI4Life like this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2013

You summarize the Respirator experience very well, melted gaskets, odd crystals and all. That's a terrific result BTW.

7. Habitant Oct 28, 2013

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 28, 2013

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2013

Habitant likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Oct 28, 2013

What happened, did somebody raid a Zenith dumpster 30-ish years ago?

11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Oct 29, 2013

12. Habitant Oct 29, 2013

Heeeeello! What's not to like about chunky? Just waiting for a new crystal from my pal, Elisabeth (small crack, hard to see). Case not as perfect as the German eBay one, which is sehr schön, as my German friends say.
    _MDH5724.jpg

cicindela and Veritas99 like this.