Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 27, 2012

We were talking in another thread about moving towards your "end game". What are people working towards and why?

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 27, 2012

I believe there is no such thing as end games if you are still very much into the hobby. You just go slower.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 27, 2012

I'll rephrase. I want to see pictures of people's dream watches!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

For me, it was always moving into more elusive vintage Rolex models or possibly entry level Patek models, but that's changed in the last year or so quite considerably. I think part of it is that I had this odd concept of rarity and exclusivity that I thought was associated with certain brands and models which I now find rather silly at this stage.

I looked at models like the Rolex 1665 DRSD, 1665 Explorer II Orange-hand, and standard Daytonas as rare and special watches, and on the Patek end of the scale, the Ref 5712 Nautilus Moonphase and Ref 5036R Perpetual Calendar Moonphase on bracelet as being the best way to spend $15,000-30,000 and saw them as the ultimate in rarity and exclusivity that mortals could afford. The Paul Newman, arguably the most well known "rare" watch on the internet was a grail such that I even had it as my wallpaper at one point, but I think the turning point in that was when I typed "paul newman daytona" into the search engine on chrono24.com and saw how many watches were available.

Then when I saw photos from the Rolex Passion Report with 30+ Paul Newmans, 30+ Milsubs, and regular Daytonas by the bucketful I realised... wait a second, these watches are not rare at all... if I can click this link, and view 144 Rolex manual wind Daytonas for sale, knowing that it has a commonly used Valjoux 72 movement, and a design that echos the Speedmaster, only with a less impressive case design, dial layout and reduced readability, what makes one that's been polished hard and knocked around worth $20k?

The reality is rare Rolexes are not rare, they're common watches that every dealer has. Similarly, there are dozens of Patek 5712s and 5036s for sale, all you need do is look. To get a truly rare Rolex is much harder than that, 18K gold Jean Claud Killys, original explorer dial Submariners and prototype SeaDwellers exist but you're going to have a hard time getting their owners to part with them, while 18K 6542 GMTs with mint original bezels and 6062 moonphases are deep into six figure territory. Then... to get a truly rare Patek is near impossible for a human that works hard but hasn't won Lotto or been born into money, Eric Clapton's 2499 being at the upper echelon, 7 figures are regularly surpassed by 2499s and vintage perpetuals even without being white metal.

Which leaves me with Omega, and the fact that this site has been here a year and a half and taught me a great deal has probably helped me make this decision, but there are a couple of directions within Omega I'd like to explore.

The first is the Seamaster line in precious metals, I'd like to add at least one Cal 352 Seamaster chronometer, and in particular I'd like to find a nice Ref OT14324 Seamaster Deluxe 352, ideally with bracelet. I'd like to complete the Seamaster Pie-Pan Calendar set with all four dial versions, and then a Seamaster XVI. An 18K Ref 2520 plank dial, or a 2521 jumbo plank dial. The final stage in that if it got that far would be the Seamaster Cloisonne Neptune currently expected to reach $100k+ at Christies.

The professional sports line is another option, the holy trinity, CK2913, CK2914, CK2915, the later of which is extremely difficult to find (compare the 2915 on chrono24 with the PN Daytona).

Then there's the Constellation line. I like no-date Constellations, but in particular, I like 18K in Deluxe and Grand Luxe versions. An ordinary 18K Constellation Deluxe would be ideal as a daily wear piece, with a Grand Luxe in PG with stepped Pie-Pan dial on full brick bracelet being something rather special I would genuinely like to one day own. The Cloisonne is once again magic and a legendary piece, but the white gold Constellation Grand Luxe on brick bracelet looks even more special, with its extremely bright dial and blue second hand in contrast, while the platinum Grand Luxe, which carries its own uniquely different varient of the brick bracelet, more slab shaped and possibly even more beautiful than the brick is hard to overlook.

[​IMG]
    Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 9.40.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 9.40.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 9.39.20 PM.png 128.jpg 1701.jpg

Melhadary and MKelley like this.
  5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 27, 2012

Too many..just sharing one.

3.jpeg

6. ulackfocus Oct 27, 2012

At first, I was into lower priced vintage brands like Bulova, Benrus, Wittnauer, etc. When I started with Omega, I owned watches like these:

caliber 562 gold filled
    [​IMG]

caliber 611 gold capped
    [​IMG]

caliber 351 stainless
    [​IMG]

caliber 751 gold capped
    [​IMG]

All nice watches, but now most have been replaced with similar solid gold models. Buy, try, and flip is how I find out what I really like to wear.

My "end game" watches for Omega would be a hooded lug Grand Luxe - preferably a caliber 504 in pink gold, an early Seamaster caliber 321 - preferably in solid gold, and maybe a Seamaster chronometer of some sort. I've already got a few keepers, including the 2799 Constellation.

MKelley likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Oct 27, 2012

My long term goal - the end game that was mentioned in the other thread - is a killer high end dress watch like a Breguet 5197 or Chopard 1860.

[​IMG]

5197BB.jpg

I'd prefer the 5197 in white gold, and hopefully by the time I complete my real world obligations and get the funds together a few will become available on the pre-owned market. I'd also like a red gold with black guilloché dialed model too, like a Roger Dubuis Sympathie or Urban Jergensen Reference 5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they'd be proper stabile mates for the Malte Grande. The problem is the Sympathie has been long discontinued and only 28 were made.

MKelley likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

One of my brother's mates has about half a dozen Roger Dubois and a few Grahams, trouble he has is he only wears the Grahams now, and he literally cannot sell the Roger Dubois', even at a 75% loss.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

[​IMG]

Friends don't let friends settle for Chopard

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

There does seem to be a distinct lack of Calatravas and Jules Audemars in that set Dennis, or is guilloche a pre-requisite?

11. ulackfocus Oct 27, 2012

That's because most RD's are ugly as sin. Which ones does he own?

I like quite a few versions of the Calatrava, and a couple Jules Audemars. I've got the two AP's I wanted the most, although there is one modern model I really like. And yes, I'd prefer guilloché.

Settle? The Chopare L.U.C. series are TRUE in-house calibers while the Breguet uses refinished ones from Piguet and Lemania since they're all Swatch Group. It's one of the finest microrotors made.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

Not sure, I'll have to ask him, the two I've seen are bigger than most Panerais though and on rubber straps

13. ulackfocus Oct 27, 2012

Probably Easy Divers of some sort.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

Don't care. Don't like.:p

What can I say, I'm a Philistine.:D

15. ulackfocus Oct 27, 2012

I didn't know you like the sports teams from my area! :p

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

I'm with you, Chopard doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling James May talks about.

17. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 27, 2012

I am with Dennis on this one. LUC is understated. Although many of their designs are not as appealing but I have to say the level of finishing of their movements is on par with Patek. Just my 2 cts.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2012

Well if you're saying that most of the sports fans from your area are Philistines, I'm with you there.:p

19. pknopp Oct 27, 2012

I wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't or wouldn't wear on a regular basis.

20. SeanO Oct 27, 2012

the grail for me would be a custom jobby like Voutilainen et al.

everything else you can either buy from a shop or from someone else.