Forums Latest Members
  1. rjdemarco Oct 15, 2020

I don't usually get emotionally attached to material items. But, some watches seems to have a different, more intimate quality than other "things" in our lives. A few months ago my Seamaster Professional went missing. It's a watch that I purchased 8 years ago when my son was born and I've worn it all around the world on various business trips and adventures. While traveling it always reminded me of him, the brevity of my time with my son, and my duty to get home safely. The watch was to be his in 10 years or so. So, when I couldn't find this watch it really set me off course. I wound-up buying several other Omega's, trying to find a "replacement", but really nothing would suffice. There was clearly and emotional attachment. Just the sort of thing I'm supposed to release through meditation, which I do regularly. Today when I got a call that it had been found, I was elated. My new PO Ti came off, and my old comfort watch went right back where it belongs!

Personal Attachment.jpg
  2. Evitzee Oct 15, 2020

Congrats, but you need to fill in the details on how it was lost and where it was found.

3. rjdemarco Oct 15, 2020

Well, the cleaners were doing a deep clean of the sofa and low and behold it was hiding in there. Now it's a not a sofa I ever sit on so I'm not sure how it ever got there in the first place. What's ironic, is that my "lost" watch was sitting just several feet away, while I sat many a night searching for a replacement!

4. janice&fred Oct 15, 2020

All's well that ends well and besides now you got a few more Omegas to play with. :D

5. LesXL Oct 15, 2020

Happy ending :)

Dedlock likes this.
  6. Marsimaxam Oct 15, 2020

I'm glad you found the watch.

Though many look down at materialism, being attached to possessions isn't all bad. Objects can be bridges to other people, places, and times, and create meaning and comfort for their owners... as you have discovered. Take care of your watch till you pass on to the next generation.

7. Dan S Oct 15, 2020

SOOOO much better than all the threads asking whether a particular watch will be a good investment. Thank you!

8. MtnMarine Oct 15, 2020

Great story!

9. jaguar11 Oct 15, 2020

So pleased for you. Enjoy and keep building those memories!!!

rjdemarco likes this.
  10. M'Bob Oct 15, 2020

This is a great story, and I’m glad you found it. I, too, note that I have a different emotional attachment to some of my watches than others, though I understand that this is completely irrational. It’s obviously what we’re thinking and placing on the object, not the other way around.

But the story is a good reminder to keep our cherishing of objects in place, because they are all ephemeral.

I bought this bike with hand-cut intricate lugs from the original owner, who owned a large bicycle shop. He got it from his son as a Christmas gift in 1963, and six years later, when he was on vacation, they hung it up in the shop with a ‘for sale’ sign on it as a joke. So I wander into the shop as a little guy, see it, fall in love with it, and bug the crap out of him to sell it to me, even though that was never the intent.

About 15 years later, when he was quite old, I brought it back into the shop for him to see it. He examined it, and said, “Man, that’s one beautiful bike.” And I said, do you miss it?” And he said, “I never miss things; I only miss people.” I never forgot that.

3B1C9F7D-EC54-492E-9623-FBC62123A591.jpeg

11. thelinendial Oct 15, 2020

Glad you had cleaners to that. I'd never have thought of that.

Reminds of the story of the lady who found the Rolex Daytonna in her used $25 thrift couch. I always feel sorry for the guy who sold his couch without looking.

apsm100, Celestron, rjdemarco and 2 others like this.
  12. Rudi99 Oct 15, 2020

Congratulations on your reunion with your timepiece.

I understand where you are coming from, as I practice a faith and I also chant and meditate regularly.

Even though we might try and detach ourselves from our possesions, in order to live in modern society we need stuff like clothing, a roof on top of our heads and food so we don't starve.

Also, I am for instance a musician and I feel extremely attached to my instruments. I sold one of them a few years ago and it was very difficult to let go.

I believe the same way a particular food can take us back to a place or moment in the past, so can an object, like a sweater or... a wristwatch.

Edited Oct 16, 2020
    schoolboy and rjdemarco like this.
  13. pw92676 Oct 15, 2020

My heart was racing as I read this. So glad you found it!

14. Celestron Oct 16, 2020

Sounds like the cleaners in this story are about as decent as it gets.

What would have stopped them from pocketing the watch and selling it?

15. rjdemarco Oct 16, 2020

Right? I did give the young guy who found it some reward money. He didn’t want to take it, but changed his mind, and I’m glad he did.

schoolboy and yande like this.
  16. krogerfoot Oct 16, 2020

This is also a great story.

M'Bob likes this.
  17. vbrad26 Oct 16, 2020

If I had lost my Speedmaster (which I got right before my first daughter was born) my house would have been dismantled.
    Just sayin' lol.
    But nevertheless, I'm very happy to hear that it was found.

rjdemarco likes this.