Forums Latest Members

Embossed Seahorse On Seamasters - How Come A Lot Of Seamasters Don't Have 'em?

1. Ted Shred Jan 21, 2013

Been lurking for a while and just joined up. I've always wondered why so many Seamasters I see don't have embossed seahorses on the back. Is there a hard and fast rule about this?

I have 2 vintage Seamasters and 1 of them (a Deville) has the seahorse. The other one has a totally smooth back except for an engraved "Waterproof."

Thanks

2. MyVintageOmega Jan 21, 2013

One reason that may apply is that the pre 1957 seamasters have only waterproof as the Seahorse was not added till after 1957. If they added at that time, the Seahorse to all of them or not....... I'am unclear on that. (opinion only)

3. Ted Shred Jan 21, 2013

Okay, thanks MVO (hello fellow Canucklehead!). From poking around a bit, I'm also gettting the impression that the early early 50's Seamasters didn't even have "Waterfproof" on the back.

4. Dablitzer Jan 21, 2013

That's sure helped me place mine a bit better! ;) DSCN0075.JPG

5. ulackfocus Jan 21, 2013

That large logo was only used on a few references in the mid / late 50's. I forget which ones but Desmond did an article on them I think.

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. Dablitzer Jan 21, 2013

I'll have to have a good read of that one, I never realised that.

7. agee Jan 21, 2013

A story I heard was that the seahorse was not always on the case back so that the watch could be engraved as a presentation watch