Forums Latest Members

Embarrassing / interesting watch stories.

1. Lukeeesteve Feb 28, 2017

It all started with an old Railmaster I picked up late in the afternoon. I was going to have have 3 empty hours ahead of me....sitting in a parking lot waiting for my daughter as she trained with her coach.

I decided to pick up my tube of polywatch to lessen the scuffs on the plexi.... dropped off my daughter as the sun set...and found a quiet parking lot to wait for her. I fiddled with the radio to find a channel more suited to my listening taste, then turned on the dome lights in the car to inspect what needeed buffing.

To get proper leverage,I removed the watch from my wrist and placed the watch on my thigh and started buffing away with a small smile on my face (from getting one of my Dream watches) and a slight grimnace as I rubbed the plexi vigorously with a soft cloth and a dab of polywatch.

Just then, a lady exits a nearby building. Her eyes are drawn to my car (I assume because it's lit up on the inside) as her expressionless face turned to disgust as she make a sudden change in direction away from my vehicle. It suddenly dawned upon me that my smiling grimace ...my moving arms polishin a watch on my thigh.... ugh...she thinks I'm a pervert! Needless to say, I make sure she doesn't come around to check my license plate as I wasn't sure how I would explain that incident to the cops.

Would love to hear yours....

kkt, Paedipod, abrod520 and 7 others like this.
  2. w154 Feb 28, 2017

Cool Story :)

I'll have to remember to keep a tube of Polywatch and an old watch with a scuffed up crystal in the car, could come in useful as a good alibi :whistling:

kkt, Lukeeesteve, Paedipod and 3 others like this.
  3. Canuck Feb 28, 2017

This didn't happen to me, but to a friend who runs his own jewellery store. A long time customer of his came into the store to tell him he had a break in, and a number of items were stolen. Among the items stolen was a wrist watch which he described to my friend. This watch had been repaired in this very store by the owner's late father! Fast forward a couple weeks, and some guy walks into the store with a watch he wants to sell. You may have guessed the outcome! My friend thought he recognized the watch, and out of sight of the customer, he removed the caee back, and found his father's repair number. He checked the repair record archive to find this was the very watch which had been stolen! A quick call to the police with the guy still in the store? Instant karma!

ahartfie, Lukeeesteve, Uniqez and 3 others like this.
  4. Canuck Feb 28, 2017

Up until 2015, I owned a Rolex Oyster Daytona Cosmograph which I bought brand new in 1989. When I bought it, the Daytona was in the early stages of being recognized as a hot collectible, as this manual wind version had been discontinued. I wore it frequently to NAWCC regionals. At one such event, a dealer recognized it on my wrist. He informed me that the market for these had peaked and was on a decline. But he would be glad to take it off my wrist for $5,000.00! I thanked him for his "generous" offer, and walked away. Fast forward to 2010, same regional, same watch, same dealer. He obviously didn't recognize me when he recognized the watch. He offered to swap a brand new 18-karat gold modern Daytona on a crocodile strap, and $2,000.00 US for my Daytona. I thanked him for his "generous" offer, and walked away. I spared him the humiliation of reminding him of the earlier offer he'd made. Eventually, I did sell it, for more.

Lukeeesteve and Uniqez like this.