Elegant Vintage ETERNA-MATIC Chronometre (Rare Variation)

I have owned many vintage ETERNA over the years, and consider their automatic Chronometres to be among the very best value of any watches on the current market. I say that partly because of their high quality, and partly because chronometers tend to be broadly undervalued. The explanation for the latter is simple: values are often inflated because of fashion, and technical characteristics become secondary considerations.

When I find attractive, high-quality chronometres, available at fair prices, I have a tough time resisting. After all, watches are produced to keep time, and chronometres, such as the subject watch, that were manufactured during the peak of the Golden Era of 20th Century watchmaking, represent the pinnacle of that goal, and were also very important to the manufacturers that produced them for marketing purposes.

ETchrAd21.jpg

These top-of-the-line ETERNA models were very well designed and executed, and I'll touch on the various aspects as I review the subject watch. It dates to around 1952, is conservatively in very good to excellent overall condition, and, with the possible exception of the crystal, I believe it to be fully original.

The unpolished red gold-capped snap-back case measures 34.5mm. The elegant lugs are literally multi-faceted, and reflect light in a pleasing manner, and compliment the uncommon dial nicely. Under magnification, a few very light scratches, typical to watches of this age, can be seen here and there, but there are no serious flaws. The steel mid-case is vertically brushed, which adds nice contrast to the design.

Note that this case is significantly thinner than the steel screw-back chronometres, and that the crown is also restricted in size. These models were definitely marketed as dress watches at the time.

The dial is both an uncommon variation, and in excellent condition. I find it to be an attractive and elegant design, with the "12" in Arabic, similar to some Patek designs, along with the unusual type of markers at the 3, 6, and 9 positions.

The hands are in very good condition. The second hand features a red enamel tip, which was something of a signature for ETERNA during that period. I have always liked them, as the contrast is attractive, and also practical in that it makes following the hand more easy. It may seem a bit odd that the choice was made to use a contrasting silver colored second-hand, but I believe that this was done to compliment the combination gold/steel case, and like the decision in that context. Note that I have seen this combination previously, though it was used in a small subset of the model line. Here is an another example, interestingly featuring the same, uncommon dial variation:

https://www.timeperiodwatches.com/mens-watches/eterna-matic-rose-gold-12825tc

The movement is high-class, and well-finished. ETERNA made some of the finest full-rotor automatic movements of any manufacturer during the '50s, and this cal. 1247TC, dating to ~1952, was one of the earliest produced. Note that while it was of chronometer standard, it was not marked as having been adjusted, in contrast to most of the later versions. I particularly like the look of this caliber, with the "window" in the rotor, and also the contrasting mirror and brush polishing. Note also the attractive perlée (pearls) or perlage finish on the base plate.

The movement is working properly, but I have not timed it, do not know the last date of service, and would, of course, recommend one for regular wear.

PLEASE NOTE: I Guarantee that this watch will look better in person! My mediocre photos simply do not do it justice.

Sold head only, I ask 750€ (or USD equivalent), and will include EMS express shipping from my home in Portugal. I can accept either a bank transfer, or PayPal, but would prefer the former with an EU sale.

As I mentioned at the top, good examples of these Chronometres arguably represent excellent value in the market, and I believe that to be the case with this early, uncommon, and very well-persevered example.

Feel free to ask any questions!

ETGCC16.jpg

ETGCC17.jpg

ETGCC15.jpg

ETGCC14.jpg

ETGCC18.jpg

ETGCC10.jpg

ETGCC7.jpg

ETGCC9.jpg

ETGCC6.jpg

ETGCC5.jpg
Edited:

If I weren't on consolidation mode, I'd jump right on it. GLWS!

Sold! Thanks, as always, to the supportive members, and the OF staff!. 👍