Ed White (pictures removed sorry)

Hi all, i have been offered (via photos, can't check in person) the attached 105.003-65 and... it has been a long while since i have found one with apparently almost everything already correct including DON and bracelet.
This one, excluding the crown, seems in order to me and has even a cool tropical dial.
Am i missing something?
Also, as we still haven't talk money, what could an actual realistic value for such an item?
Thank you guys and the forum for your infinite knowledge, support and almost always fun 😀

Hope i didn't mess up with so many pictures

As per second page of this post after what looked to be nothing more than a candid and healthy conversation about a watch, for some weird reason the actual owner of the watch asked me to take down the pictures.
I apologise if you read this post for the first time and don’t have the chance to see them pictures. Truly a shame. Needless to say that i won’t be buying from him.
Edited:

That dial!

A lot depends how that dial looks in the flesh. I’d say -$14k based on those pictures. Less if it’s not as attractive in real life. More if it’s stunning.

Looks correct and in stunning condition. As you mentioned the crown is a later replacement but everything else checks out. Including the flat link bracelet with 6 end links. Won’t come cheap— I would assume $15k+

I don’t see anything that’d make me overly suspicious. Nice EWs are still out there. My -63, also a very recent purchase, says hi:

This one was FS last week at 24k euro. Sorry I didn’t screenshot it. Maybe a consignment that got withdrawn, maybe a sale. There are lots of Ed Whites, but not so many chocolate ones. There are even more -69s, and a ton of chocolate ones, and they have fetched more here. If you can get that head-only for 14k it would be a steel imho (bracelet and endlinks are a valuable bonus) . Good luck and keep us posted

That dial - 😲

I agree that is a steal at $14k. Think it is worth much more than that and would assume over $20k.

Maybe my price is low. I see it as probably a 10k watch and I’m adding 50% for the dial.
I think it would have been 18-20k a year or 2 ago but the market has changed. In an open auction I’m not convinced it would get towards 20k right now.

Still a stunning watch.

There’s probably a much more narrow window in terms of pricing for a good, solid example without anything special than for one in outstanding condition, or a brown dial. They’re scarce, find two interested parties and the price might go through the roof - might. Speak to the seller and see what he’s asking. Who knows, it might be a no-brainer, especially with the bracelet.

IMHO would get $20K even in today's market.

Until the OP talks turkey and gets a price it is all conjecture. No sense getting excited as the owner may be expecting a higher price than expected. Get a firm opening offer price and go from there.

See if the seller will put an asking price on it. That's always helpful.

Beautiful specimen. I agree best to ask their offer price. I would probably be prepared to pay $20K+ with a dial like that.
FWIW I would think the hands might have been relumed at some point. Not sure what others more expert in such matters think.

Thanks a lot guys for the support! That said, as a happy owner of three other pre-moons, including a beloved Ultraman, I absolutely don’t expect this specific one to be below 20k even in this recent market, regardless of the dial.
It’s basically impossible to find on ebay or Chrono24 ANY 003 with basically all original parts.
And even if we all can still survive without the original bracelet, endlinks, hands, bezel etc… if you want to make it “right” these spare parts now cost a fortune, and good luck finding a decent original DON below 3k 🙁
I’ll keep you posted about the outcome of the negotiation !

Interesting that several people have mentioned the current market: are prices less than, say, 2 or 5 years ago? I assume so from the posts here. If so, why and by how much?

Interesting that several people have mentioned the current market: are prices less than, say, 2 or 5 years ago? I assume so from the posts here. If so, why and by how much?

Why? Economic decline, less disposable income; Covid, and possible shifting of priorities; may be one of the many “down” cycles, that inevitably happens.

Some believe only mediocre pieces have been affected, the nice examples still bringing a premium.

How much lower? Others can help with that. No firm idea.

My understanding is that the market for new models, especially the ones in high demand or recently excessively jumped in price, has taken sometimes even a 15/20% hit.
On vintage i am not sure, on the contrary i see a lot of traditionally Financially/stock oriented investors moving toward our passion and looking for historically significant pieces, keeping the values up. Just imho