Forums Latest Members

Ecole d’Horlogerie Le Locle observatory chronometer pocketwatch & wristwatch chronometer chronograph

1. wouter van wijk Mar 29, 2020

Hi Guys,

Recently I posted an article here on OF about a schoolwatch. Quite a lot of people appreciated it so I thought i will show you a bit more this time.

I kind of fell into the rabbit hole of school watches and i can tell you one thing it's great out there.

Since I am soo enthusiastic about this niche I wrote a really big article to explain others about the world of school watches and observatory chronometers.

Link to the article: https://www.wristicons.com/blogs/articles/ecole-dhorlogerie-le-locle-observatory-chronometer/

What we have here is a graduation masterpiece set consisting of a pocket watch and wristwatch chronograph. Both watches were made by one single student. The pocket watch was tested at the Neuchâtel Observatory. The chronograph underwent chronometer testing at the "BO" (Bureaux officiels) in Le Locle. The watches come as a full set with all the documents possible. This is the first time such a complete set has been available to the open market and it has been preserved as a time capsule, as an untouched time keeping heirloom from a bygone era.

I also made a crappy video to show you even a bit more. I lost my Youtube virginity so please be gentle with me.

Hope you will like it!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 29, 2020

Very nice, thank you! I have owned a few school watches over the years, but never a pocket watch. Great to have the Bulletin, as well. A also love the interesting bezel.

Congratulations.

(Note that I think you may have copied and pasted the photo links twice.)

3. TexOmega Mar 29, 2020

Special. Enjoy. Great pix and video, thank you.

4. wouter van wijk Mar 29, 2020

Hi @Tony C and @TexOmega thank you so much. That pocket watch is next level. The level of finishing on these late sixties pocket watches is so refined. It took me a long while to really get it. But within pocket watches there is so much to discover. Just read a great article on ACollectedman with Dr Crott where he states "In a pocket watch, you can show a lot more horology than in a wristwatch". @Tony C I changed the picture for the Youtube picture, it first had a really crappy video picture, changed that for one better looking picture which gives a better overview.

5. TexOmega Mar 29, 2020

Well, if you really want nice finishing, gotta hop the pond..........

Hamilton grade 990.JPG

Omegafanman, UncleBuck, aggie and 2 others like this.
  6. connieseamaster Mar 29, 2020

Peak movement decoration happened in the US between 1890 and 1925 and I dare anyone to try to change my mind.

JohnLy and TexOmega like this.
  7. TexOmega Mar 29, 2020

Mine is a grade 990 Hamilton circa 1910-11

This grade is my choice for beauty.

Another pix

Grade 990 circa 1910.JPG

8. connieseamaster Mar 29, 2020

[​IMG]

Elgin 216 (not mine) from 1900. I personally think Elgin probably had the best of the lot.

UncleBuck likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 31, 2020

I would agree, peak decorative cluttering happened in this era. If you are a "more is better" person, then no other era really surpasses this. I would suggest that the absolute quality of what was done doesn't match the volume of what was done in all cases.

For me personally, it's way over the top. Reminds me of many skeletonized and engraved movements you see out there - I admire the work, but it's just too much.

10. connieseamaster Mar 31, 2020

I view movement decoration similarly to diamonds on watches. If you're going to go for it, go for it. Half measures have no place. That being said, that's generally not something I'm willing to spend money on, I just like looking at them :cool:

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 31, 2020

I know what you mean. And trust me, I had lots of fun with my older sister's Spirograph set when I was a kid (when she would let me near it), but I don't necessarily want that on a watch movement.

Spirograph.jpg

When it comes to US pocket watch movements, for me the 1940's and 50's Hamilton movements are more my style...

[​IMG]

But I think that's because I really do prefer the Swiss style of decoration...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

12. JohnLy Nov 10, 2021

I enjoyed your article on school watches very much and love your 2 examples. To have the complete set such as yours is amazing. I also have fallen down the rabbit hole of school watches and enjoy reading articles such as yours...thank you.
    One note, you mentioned that 37mm is the largest known school watch, I have one that measures 38mm. I also have a 37mm.

IMG_2921.JPG