Forums Latest Members
  1. GlenM Jan 3, 2014

Hi all,
    As stated in an earlier thread, I'm starting to look around for a vintage omega. Not necessarily a WW2 example, but one of a similar opinion.

So that I can learn what is good and bad, could I have opinions on this one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1940s-RAR...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item5af9d7051ePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

My view is that it is certainly a redial, but what are the chances of the case matching the movement, and both being authentic? What signs should I be looking for?

I'm willing to wait for the right one, and in the meantime I'm having fun reading and learning!

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 3, 2014

There are several things that make me uneasy about the watch. First, the dial is a refinish (as stated in the description). Second, the hands seem odd. The shape seems to be o.k. but they are too slender compared to many other examples seen over the years. Third - the wear on the inside of the case back is severe. This is not normal, as if someone is trying to hide/obscure something. Finally, look at these sellers previous auctions and you will see that he regularly lists watches that are franken watch and misrepresents the items he is selling.

Common sense dictates to stay aways from this watch.

3. ron n Jan 3, 2014

People who took issued items from the military often cleaned off government markings.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 3, 2014

But one would think they would try to remove the markings from the back, where they are visible. Not where they cannot be seen unless the watch is opened.

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 3, 2014

Isn't it odd for the military to label the inside of the watch?

Those markings are usually for the use and tracking of the ordnance corp, who don't have to tools to open a watch.

somethin' fishy?

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 3, 2014

No, the WWW had markings also on the inside. This is normal.

7. ron n Jan 3, 2014

WWW was, watch, wrist, waterproof, the broad arrow was the military marking, I HAVE A m9 bayonet with the broad arrow, IT WAS A BUCK OVER RUN

8. GlenM Jan 4, 2014

As I thought, one to avoid. I'm still learning, I think it may take some time for me to spot a good one!
    Thanks for all your input

9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 4, 2014

My US military watches are marked on the outside only, as was a 1930s Jaeger RAF watch I had, but it was an older GSTP piece.... not the "broad arrow" type marking. Well we learn something new every day! thanks Joe!

I was at the "shop" today, run by a watchmaker friend of mine.... he had a WWII "Longines" A7 USAAF navigators watch to show me. We were amazed at the effort that went into creating the frankenwatch: Genuine dial, badly lumed hands from something else, fully texted back cover, with all correct markings for the wrong era... and spelt wrong!..... the text was EDMed in and the back sandblasted to age it.... so they made an electrode to burn it in (so likely a series were made!), they hadn't completely remove some old scratches that still showed through the sand blasting either. Inside the back was also blasted to death to hide something, it must have been paper thin as a result. The movement was some piece of Chinese poo (i can use that language here can't I?) with a later font Longines logo machined in and no serial number (not uncommon on wartime pieces, the above mentioned chronometer grade Jeager didn't have one either!) The face was attached with double sided tape and the movement was loose in the case!

It was left by a very sad customer who had bought it, for serious money, on ebay as a Genuine Blaa Blaa Blaa......

Properly ticks one off does it not!

10. ron n Jan 4, 2014

Another example of no markings would be the hamelton model 23 chronograph stop watch, most with clean backs, no military markings were sold to the civil population at the end of the war, as contracts were canceled Mfg.s needed to sell stocks on hand. a model 30 remington express started out as a 1917 enfield, but remington found a use for stock on hand.

11. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 4, 2014

Respectable Member GlenM

A watch with a refinished dial comes with lots of question marks (?????????).

Thank-you.