Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 20, 2019

Over the past couple of days I spotted a listing as seen in the picture below (I can't post a link to the listing since eBAY removes these pretty quickly):

scam.jpeg

The seller is offering the watch for a BIN and then provides a link, asking buyers to use the link to provide shipping information and a contact e-mail. The seller will then send an e-mail to that address confirming the sale and indicating that eBAY will send another e-mail to confirm the details of the transaction.

The next e-mail looks very much like a message from eBAY, but it is not! It provides an eBAY transaction ID, but the representative on eBAY could not locate the transaction. Bottom line - be careful and examine all aspects of the transaction before sending funds. FWIW - the seller asked to be paid by bank wire.

If in doubt - contact eBAY directly to validate the transaction.

Edited Jan 20, 2019
    Farmer, HIRO, gemstar and 11 others like this.
  2. KP-99 Jan 20, 2019

I have seen (and reported) this auction (and others, i.e. an Omega dresser with 321 for parts) about 20 times.
    Everytime the same procedure:
    The scammer puts in about 70-80 different goods at one time.
    This scammer uses a lot of different accounts.
    Think, they were hacked.
    Sometimes, Ebay needs minutes to remove all, sometimes they need a hour.
    Be carefully.

joso and Foo2rama like this.
  3. wsfarrell Jan 20, 2019

Gone...

4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 20, 2019

Good to see you here, Joe. How is life? still hunting Mil. Watches? kind regards from Australia. Achim

Joe K. likes this.
  5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 20, 2019

Achim! good to hear from you. Still here, just more quiet :)
    Best, Joe

6. repoman Jan 21, 2019

I too have been reporting this same scammer for months and months... he certainly is persistent, he uses the same small set of images for every scam post

7. speedamatuer Jan 21, 2019

He seems to post from different accounts each time, and all usually have a significant amount of feedback. I think there's also some account hacking going on behind the scam listings.

8. Jokr Jan 21, 2019

Be careful when selling as well. Scammers often "buy" watches you offered for a BIN without actually paying. They then try to get your e-mail adress and send fake paypal or ebay payment confirmations, hoping you'll ship the watch.

If You're not sure about a mail you received, you can always forward it to spoof(at)paypal.com and spoof(at)ebay.com.

chronos likes this.
  9. Fatcat Jan 21, 2019

Well at this price anyway can be only a scam whatever the form used :))))

10. rfordo Feb 10, 2019

Another batch of these just went up. Under the username sb79420.

Buyer beware.

airansun likes this.
  11. Neek U-neek. Get it? Feb 10, 2019

Thanks for the heads up!

12. gemstar Feb 11, 2019

Make sure also you check the page source option on the email as you can see in the coding where the actual email came from and ip address

mgarelik likes this.
  13. mgarelik Feb 11, 2019

Today, it looks like thousands of listings using Adorama's account.

gemstar likes this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 8, 2020

15. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 8, 2020

typical MO for hijacking accounts is by email phishing. You would be surprised how well these email can be disguised

16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 8, 2020

I particularly liked this scam offering as I already own it :(
    9049A6D9-3C32-45A6-878F-D6BD0447A180.jpeg

Steve1haggart likes this.
  17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 8, 2020

How well? At least with specifics we can better all protect ourselves.

18. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 8, 2020

I followed up with one of these scammers not long ago and corresponded with him through the eBAY messaging system. He asked me to pay through Paypal and said he would send me the link through eBAY. The link that arrived led to a spoof Paypal page that had a url like http://www.payments.paypal.com/XXXXXXXX. Obviously this is the wrong format for a Paypal link. In any case, if you are suspicious of a transaction you can ask the seller to send you a payment request through Paypal and then log onto Paypal directly and check if the request is in the system.

19. Farmer Feb 8, 2020

IO recently nearly fell for this scam, I was selling a Rolex Seadweller, I rather stupidly had the BIN function, he hit early and hard, after a lot of games I sucked him in and said: " watch ready to post, what address please?" the idiot sent a street address in Nairobi.
    Lesson, don't buy or sell on the internet
    Iain

20. mr_yossarian Feb 9, 2020

https://www.ebay.de/itm/324067597283Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

.Same hacked account, go check and report the dozen of Speedies he has listed.