Forums Latest Members

eBay global shipping programme

1. nxw1969 Jan 4, 2015

Hi,

If I sell am item on ebay, which is shipped via the global shipping programme, all fees are handled up front by the buyer.
    If the buyer then decided they wanted a refund, does anyone know how the return is handled?
    I have been reading ebays policies, but it isnt very clear (at least not to me!)
    I dont want to find myself in a situation, where a watch is returned from the USA and having to pay import charges to get the watch back.

Obviously, I will try and ensure anything I sell is described as clearly as possible, but it is still a concern.

How does it work with regular post, if I sell something to someone in the USA and it is returned, would providing proof that I had sold it and it had been returned, ensure that I wouldn't have import fees to pay?

Thanks
    Nick

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 4, 2015

Hey Nick, I would call eBay costumer service and talk to a representative in person abut this issue. I would think that better than hearing the "interpretation" any of us may have.

This said the risks on return fees would be the same as if you ship directly. Also eBay has set limits on the value of the items they are willing to insure so check the actual limit for each country before you engage on the program. I personally have found no benefit over just shipping with USPS.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 4, 2015

This "service" from eBay was discussed a couple of months ago and IIRC, the issue of re-packaging was a cause for concern. That, coupled with the fact that they mark the import duty up by quite a large amount puts me off of bidding on anything that is auctioned in this way.

4. Mothra Jan 4, 2015

+1. If you are shipping via ebay, you exclude me as a potential buyer due to the absurd overhead.

5. Hijak Jan 4, 2015

I've used eBay's global shipping, once, and it takes for ever
    to be deliver on top of everything else mentioned here.:thumbsdown:

6. nxw1969 Jan 4, 2015

Thanks all - I dont buy from the USA anymore, due to the price charged. Some people seem to like it though??

I have sold a watch and hadn't realized that I had opted into the GSP, the buyer
    didn't seem to mind, and I have told him everything there is to know about the watch - I do this so that they know exactly what they are buying, and for my own benefit, that there is no reason to return the watch.

He paid immediately after winning including the GSP costs.

My worries are that in the event of a return, I end up getting stung, just to get my own watch back!

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 4, 2015

yes you will get stung if there is a return, but that's the case no matter how you shop. That's why many people don't ship overseas.

8. lenny Jun 7, 2015

I just had it happen to me - this time as a U.S. based buyer! The GSP "customs" charge would be ~$225 for a $1500 item. Normally, customs would be $0 through USPS...