Forums Latest Members

eBay Authenticators Can Do No Wrong

1. JwRosenthal Apr 9, 2021

I did too, I wrote they should make the authentication service optional.

2. timoss Apr 10, 2021

It will be optional eventually—and come at a cost. My prediction...

3. Dan S Apr 10, 2021

For the seller? Buyer? Either? :)

4. kkt Apr 10, 2021

I'm glad there was a good outcome, however a good outcome after spending hours fighting over it still sends Ebay watches worth enough to get authenticated to the bottom of my "buy" list.

5. sgrossma Apr 11, 2021

I think it has the potential to be a good thing, but being optional would be nice (for specific watches that I don't want going through). When it is required, I would like them to include authenticator notes, if any, and also to list exactly what was done and any relevant findings (watch was opened, movement was loose, noted a screw was missing, etc.). And possibly even a picture or two. It would also be cool if they required time keeping accuracy too.

6. sgrossma Apr 11, 2021

At this point there is no intention to add a cost to this service for watches (shoes is a different story). They want a safe marketplace with minimal disputes and returns. Just by saying all watches are authenticated, I bet they scare away a large number of would be criminals.

Dan S likes this.
  7. Dan S Apr 11, 2021

Understood. I've sold a couple of authenticated watches and fortunately it went smoothly both times. I'm also in agreement with you that eBay will eventually attempt to pass the costs on to someone else and was just interested in your speculation about how that might be done. Would the seller be given the option of authentication at the time of listing? Would the buyer be able to request it after the sale? The first seems more likely to me. Or maybe the seller could choose to offer it as an option for an extra fee? Just spitballing here on a Sunday morning.

8. JwRosenthal Apr 11, 2021

As I said earlier- there are going to be growing pains. This program has the potential to be a good thing if they listen to the feedback from their customers.
    Someone buying a 2 year old Hulk is not the same customer (usually) that is buying a 60 year old UG. If they want to run the whole authentication on the Hulk, great. But on the UG, just verify that the watch meets the description (running if described as such, same as pictures, not a rock) and put back in box. I hesitate on time- keeping being punch-list standard because if I knowingly buy a watch that is described as needing service and they fail the watch based on timekeeping and send it back- then that’s a kink in the program.

I say, just verify it is as the listing describes it, that’s all they need to do- at least with older watches.

connieseamaster and sgrossma like this.
  9. Todd Alt Jun 7, 2021

I have purchased a watch on ebay. It is being sent for authentication. How do I trust the authenticator? How was the authenticator vetted? How do I know the watch will not be tampered with by the authenticator? Will I now have to have my own jeweler check the watch? What do I do if the authenticator keeps some of my watches documentation. How is it a good thing to have another party involved in handling a high end purchase? How is it a good thing to have something shipped twice instead of once? As a buyer, I feel less involved in the process. The seller it seems, is off the hook and I am basically at the mercy of the authenticator. I for one have always felt that the feedback process and communication with the seller gave me confidence or not, enough to buy. Another set of fingerprints on my merchandise does not make me feel any more comfortable.

kkt, wsfarrell, Stripey and 2 others like this.
  10. Cayohuesovespa Jun 7, 2021

This is along the lines of where my mind was going!
    who are the authenticators? what are their backgrounds? education? experience?
    why are they opening the backs? (other than to check the movement obviously)
    when they do open the watch, do they guarantee them to be water proof after tampering with a factory sealed and water proofed case back? do they check them for water resistance after opening them?
    do they have the case back torque values for every single watch out there?
    how about nuances of rare watch case backs?
    what if they slip a tool and scratch the watch? are they responsible?
    so many questions for this authentication program...
    i have bought a few watches on Ebay, and only up to a couple hundred bucks as I would be prepared to take a chance on it.
    I understand why this program exists but the story from the OP makes me shudder.
    did the authenticator break it, pack it back up and say it was good and off it goes???
    ugh,
    i am not comfortable with this program. too many shady people that could be involved.

kkt and Stripey like this.
  11. Todd Alt Jun 7, 2021

Exactly what I am saying. I especially dislike the water resistance question. Once again, I suppose I have to take my watch into my own jewelry store to have them reopen and pressure test it. What a waste. The whole program should be optional with the buyer able to sign off on it if he wants to buy without it. Ebay could then shirk their responsibility which is what they are about anyway.

kkt likes this.
  12. passingtime Jun 7, 2021

Sounds like government officials with their qualified immunity...Untouchable.

Thanks for sharing this story. Going to make me think twice about buying from eBay now. As if I needed another reason to shy away from that platform.

Edited Jun 7, 2021
  13. Dan S Jun 7, 2021

The authenticators are Stoll & Co, in Dayton, Ohio. The time to ask the rest of your questions was before the purchase, since you did not have to make the purchase. Now you have no option.

14. Stripey Jun 7, 2021

I had assumed, perhaps wrongly, that these were rhetorical questions.

15. wsfarrell Jun 7, 2021

This is absolutely 100% true. When the authenticator says a watch is "authentic," the seller is completely absolved from any further repercussions. I had to go through several levels of eBay staff to get to someone with the authority to deal with a watch that was broken, and my refund came from eBay, not the seller. I'm quite sure the seller heard "watch has been authenticated," then nothing more. An unscrupulous seller could unload all kinds of watches with nicely-repainted dials, franken-movements, etc. If the authenticator says "genuine," the seller is home free.

kkt, connieseamaster, Mark020 and 2 others like this.
  16. sgrossma Jun 8, 2021

I'd imagine if your job involves opening 50 watch cases a day, you'd probably get quite good at it.

I think eventually eBay will change the policy about vintage watches and list the check points more clearly.

I've said it before, but most people are fundamentally good and the majority of the time you will be dealing with a seller that will still try to help you and resolve your issues.

Mark020 likes this.
  17. Anthony Lane Dec 16, 2022

Currently have a watch that was delivered to an authenticator (Stoll & Co) this morning. After hearing all of these horror stories I'm a bit nervous to be honest. Really hope I don't find any surprises.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 16, 2022

The vast majority of these go through just fine. You will always hear about the horror stories, but they are certainly in the minority, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  19. 140dave Dec 16, 2022

Usually you only hear the bad, and it is a small % I am willing to bet. I have had several watches go through the eBay process with no issues (yet, knock on my wooden head) so I wouldnt worry too much.
    And on the plus side, now it is on the buyer to decide if they want it or not, they pay the $80 fee if they want. To me this encourages a little more noob buying especially around Christmas. Takes some of the worry out of it for the spouse or whomever is buying the gift.

20. Anthony Lane Dec 16, 2022

This is exactly what came to mind after I hit 'reply'. Humans have a tendency to take to the internet when things go wrong, and remain silent when things go right.

I'm glad to hear that people have had good experiences. In this scenario I am the buyer. I'll report back horror story or not!