Ebay 1970 Omega Constellation 168.029 - Need Advice on Purchase

Hello Everyone,

I'm considering purchasing this watch and need advice on whether it's a good idea or not. The watch seems to tick all of the boxes, but I the only thing I can't tell is if the movement is in good shape

Assessing the condition of a movement by one blurry picture is gambling at best - you’ll have to factor in a service. Also, how are we to judge if it’s possibly a good buy without knowing a price? 😀

Assessing the condition of a movement by one blurry picture is gambling at best - you’ll have to factor in a service. Also, how are we to judge if it’s possibly a good buy without knowing a price? 😀

Definitely going in for a service if I end up getting it. And my apologies, price is $750 and it's being sold by Closer0924 on ebay (whom I've heard is reputable)

…it's being sold by Closer0924 on ebay (whom I've heard is reputable)

I’ve purchased 3 Omegas from Closer and had a great experience each time.

Welcome Newb! Closer is a reputable seller . This watch appears to be in pretty good shape- finishes look intact on the case, edges shape, bezel is still covered in DNA which is a good sign the watch hasn’t been gussied up for sale (which is common with Japanese sellers- they like it shiny).
I would I say for a working linen dialed Connie- head only (as that bracelet is not an Omega factory bracelet). The price is fair- not great, not bad, but fair.
Factor in $2-300 for a service and an additional $250-300 for the correct bricks bracelet is you want that and you are in at around $1.3-1.4K.

Closer is certainly a reputable outfit, but they don’t service the watches or hold your hand through the process, so there are sometimes more or less serious issues with the merchandise. That rusty stain around the bottom of the crystal would give me some concern.

Three points:

1. I don’t care for the bracelet and square ends. It would niggle and I’d be inclined to look at the seller's other watches and pick one with the right bracelet. Bracelets seem to be selling separately for around £250 so it makes sense to try and get the correct bracelet with the watch - even if your initial outlay is a little more.

2. Depending on where you are you will have to factor in import duty.

3. I’ve also bought from Closer and, nice though his watches and prices are, I would factor in the cost of service.

Closer are effectively a wholesaler. Minimal customer service or detail on the item in question. The emphasis is on the buyer to ensure they know what they are buying and have satisfied themselves of the condition via the photos.
That said, once you understand that, they’re a great place to buy good watches at ok prices. Unfortunately they raised their prices a couple of years ago and due to excessive import duty charged by DHL I haven’t bought from them since.

I like the condition of the watch but as other member from here said the price it's not a bargain. Also I did not see a picture with the logo from the case back but I assume that everything is ok if you decide to buy it. Personally I will wait on eBay the buy at auctions..

Closer is certainly a reputable outfit, but they don’t service the watches or hold your hand through the process, so there are sometimes more or less serious issues with the merchandise. That rusty stain around the bottom of the crystal would give me some concern.

I ask this purely out of curiosity, how can you tell that it's rust?

Also, now I'm worried, because looking at the picture with the open case back, could that be rust/pitting on the left side?

I assumed everything I was looking at was just dirt/grime build up.

I like the condition of the watch but as other member from here said the price it's not a bargain. Also I did not see a picture with the logo from the case back but I assume that everything is ok if you decide to buy it. Personally I will wait on eBay the buy at auctions..

My apologies, I've now added the picture with the logo on the caseback.

I ask this purely out of curiosity, how can you tell that it's rust?

Also, now I'm worried, because looking at the picture with the open case back, could that be rust/pitting on the left side?

I assumed everything I was looking at was just dirt/grime build up.
I wrote that hurriedly and was trying to describe the color. I don’t know that it’s rust. The watch is not squeaky clean but I don’t *think* I see anything that looks like water damage.

I wrote that hurriedly and was trying to describe the color. I don’t know that it’s rust. The watch is not squeaky clean but I don’t *think* I see anything that looks like water damage.

Ah I see. Could the discoloration within the bezel/crystal be an indication of rust?

Ah I see. Could the discoloration within the bezel/crystal be an indication of rust?
Could be a reflection/refraction of the gunk sitting against the edge of the crystal.
Mine has some really funky stuff down there that would only be able to be cleaned if I removed the crystal

6BB110DA-C3DE-4A1F-A39B-7AE5DFB80835.jpeg
I tried to get at it with a toothpick, but its too deep.
It will get cleaned out at the next service.

OTE="JwRosenthal, post: 2062131, member: 52920"]Could be a reflection/refraction of the gunk sitting against the edge of the crystal.
Mine has some really funky stuff down there that would only be able to be cleaned if I removed the crystal

6BB110DA-C3DE-4A1F-A39B-7AE5DFB80835.jpeg
I tried to get at it with a toothpick, but its too deep.
It will get cleaned out at the next service.[/QUOTE]

I think you may be right, it may just be sitting on the outside of the crystal. Thank for mentioning that. However, I'm a little worried of the stuff sitting around the edge of the inner case (picture of the open case back). Can't tell if that's rust & pitting or just dirt & scratches. I've reached out to the seller for verification.

Hello @Newb I too am newb. I recently bought a very similar 168.029 (seen on the excellent Ebay recommendations thread https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-watches-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/). I got it for a similar price but have since been sourcing a new crystal, replacement for damaged crown, planning a service, eyeing the cost of a ‘correct’ bricks bracelet, … . Seems like a common learning curve for a newb! Not sure where you are based but this watch https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155190321019 was also recommended on that thread and might be worth keeping an eye on. I stand ready to be corrected but I think that’s the correct early crown for the reference. Needs a service and the buckle looks like a fake, so still money to throw at it to get to a condition you’d see in Private Sales for probably a lower total outlay 🤦

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I think this one is a much better purchase compared to the UK one unless you're in the UK: https://www.chrono24.com.tr/omega/omega--cal561--ref168017--697434--id25662104.htm

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 19.57.16.png

The 168.029 looks good but I don't think it's worth the risk, best case scenario the green gunk is in between the crystal and the case and you'll need to get the crystal removed for cleaning too, worst case scenario it could be on the edge of the dial

You should share links to watches for feedback, as closer hints of these issues in the description

So.. took a gamble and bought lol.

Everything on it is just gunk. Scraped off super easily with a toothpick. In addition, dial is immaculate, hands are in great condition, case is sharp, watch is running at +15 seconds, and crystal is in perfect condition and authentic (has the omega logo in the middle).

Despite the watch running better than expected, I'm still worried about the insides. Taking it to Omega for service on Friday/Saturday and hoping nothing major is found to be wrong with the movement.