Early Seamasters.

What about those crowns in your fisrt picture ? Do they exist in real or only in the catalogue ?
If you blow up the picture the ones in the catalog seem to be the same "clover" crown as those in most of the other pictures.

These crowns were used almost exclusively on the Seamaster line.
gatorcpa
Edited:

I have been thinking a lot about your question. How do you define an early Seamaster ? By ref. is there another reference ? Early bumper mvt with waterproof case ? A case with beefy lugs ?
It seems like you are looking for something in particular or know something we don't. Please give us some elements.
Most interesting thread, since a long time.
Kind regards
Mounir

Hi Mounir.
As you can see in the first pic of the catalog, the watch was advertised as 18k solid gold with De Luxe dial. But Seamasters with de luxe dials came with later models with date at six.
I asked but did not expected to see an early seamaster with a de luxe dial, have you seen one?

About the crown, mine is the traditional vintage seamaster crown and I think it is original to the watch.

A 1949 Omega advertisment on the launch of the Seamaster. Note the text about the famous 1000 "super-chronometers" pulled from the production line and tested for accuracy. I seem to recall that @gatorcpa or @mondodec may know more about these...
aaf9469e9d450820357264fe4c19fdab.jpg
Edited:

An Omega advertisment from the 1949 launch of the Seamaster. Note the text about the famous 1000 "super-chronometers" pulled from the production line and tested for accuracy. I seem to recall that @gatorcpa or @mondodec may know more about these...
aaf9469e9d450820357264fe4c19fdab.jpg
I think the launch was actually 1948

The famous 1,000 consecutive chronometers testing was done in 1949.

OmegaHistoryMakingMovement1_Page_2.jpg
The Seamaster advertisement is misleading, since only raw movements were tested. No mention of watches in the letter above, just movements.

Omega generally didn't case these chronometer rated movements until after certification was completed. Therefore, there was no way to know if these movements were put in Seamasters or any other Omega model.

BTW, I have never seen any movements with those serial numbers in a complete watch. Has anyone else?

Note that in the ad below, Omega makes a similar claim for the Automatic Chronometre model.

_57_zps8ci2u43w.jpg

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

I think the launch was actually 1948
Yes. I should have said "A 1949 Omega advertisment..." Edited my post to avoid future confusion.

Hi Mounir.
As you can see in the first pic of the catalog, the watch was advertised as 18k solid gold with De Luxe dial. But Seamasters with de luxe dials came with later models with date at six.
I asked but did not expected to see an early seamaster with a de luxe dial, have you seen one?

About the crown, mine is the traditional vintage seamaster crown and I think it is original to the watch.

I think that in those days, there was a premium to be paid for raised gold markers, hard presentation box and other features that were not included in a basic watch. I think that what is referred here as de luxe dial is a dial with gold markers and has nothing to do with later solid gold dials found in DeLuxe versions of the Constellation model.
Like here :

Hi all.

According to Omega, the first Seamasters were produced in 1948 and I've been trying to search for the first Seamasters for a long time.
As far as I know, the early Seamasters did not have Seamaster printed on their dials and what I have so far is a 2491 and a 2519.
If you have an early seamaster, info or pictures, please share. I am very appreciated.
Thank you.

The first pic is a page from a catalog of Gator that he posted long time ago.

View attachment 379717
Here is my 2519, 18k and rare "plank" dial:

As far as I know, the early Seamasters did not have Seamaster printed on their dials and what I have so far is a 2491 and a 2519.
If you have an early seamaster, info or pictures, please share.
View attachment 379717

I only just found this thread, after Hoi and others recently posted some beautiful specimens, including that super 2519. The one below has made a couple of appearances on WRUW and elsewhere, but I now see this thread is its right place for the record. I really hope there are others to come.

Proto-Seamaster, possibly ?1948, ref.2518, cal 343, YG, case serial 10.8xx m, movement serial 11.5xx m.

Edited:

Thanks for posting your great watch, #TimeODanaos.
I believe case reference 2518 and 2519 were the first Chronometer Seamasters (without Seamaster on dial) produced by Omega on 1948.

I also decide stop looking for the one on left
because it did not ever exist. 😁

it did not ever exist.
Looks like there may have been one at least?
Photoshop wasn't very good back then.
Keep looking, Hoi, it will keep you young.

Thanks very much to Hoi for the warm words 😀 We agreed about the Kreuzer unicorn on another thread - so it can only be a matter of [hours] before... 😗
Edited:

Hi all.

According to Omega, the first Seamasters were produced in 1948 and I've been trying to search for the first Seamasters for a long time.
If you have an early seamaster, info or pictures, please share. I am very appreciated.
Thank you.

The first pic is a page from a catalog of Gator that he posted long time ago.

View attachment 379717
Hi Hoi and all
This is my ref 2515-1 cal 333rg. Does it really exist? Although I finished the dial again, it looks good and looks good to me.

Hi Hoi and all
This is my ref 2515-1 cal 333rg. Does it really exist? Although I finished the dial again, it looks good and looks good to me.

I am sorry, yours is NOT an early Seamaster because it is not waterproof.
This thread is for the early Seamaster with waterproof cases.

Thanks for posting your great watch, #TimeODanaos.
I believe case reference 2518 and 2519 were the first Chronometer Seamasters (without Seamaster on dial) produced by Omega on 1948.

Hi @hoipolloi

the one in the left does exist ( model ) . I saw one once at on my watch makers bench . I begged him to ask owner to sell it to me but it was a family watch and was not for sale , that was back in 1994 .

good hunting
Bill
Ps never seen another except at Bienne.

Hi @hoipolloi

the one in the left does exist ( model ) . I saw one once at on my watch makers bench . I begged him to ask owner to sell it to me but it was a family watch and was not for sale , that was back in 1994 .

good hunting
Bill
Ps never seen another except at Bienne.
Would be great if you can share movement caliber, case reference etc...

Llikely cal. 343 in a 2576 case.

it was a 343 but don’t remember the case ref

Llikely cal. 343 in a 2576 case.
My 343 in a 2576 case.

Case is nothing near, beefy lugs and leaf hands? To me, it still is a product of imagination.

Hi H

it is real , right down to the railroad min track and leaf hands .

be safe and good hunting

bill
Edited: