Forums Latest Members
  1. Kapka Oct 5, 2017

Hi guys

I'm quite new to the UG watches but I came across a vey early version (according to reference table I found) of the polarouter and I'm very curious about this specific dial. I did look trough @Severin amazing post about all dial versions but I don't see this one. What I mean is the position of the "Polarouter" word. The dial it self looks very legit in my eyes and the watch looks unpolished and original (case/movement/crown etc). Movement inside is cal 138 SS, bumper. The watch it self needs a service. Is it worth investing in a spare movement? Found some on ebay (cal 138)

Grateful for any comment!

20171005_233611.jpg 20171005_233641.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 5, 2017

Never seen one like that either.

My gut tells me it’s legit, although it’s an unusual variation.

If the price is reasonable, always a good idea to have a spare movement for parts. Cheap insurance, as Universal parts can be difficult to find. However, if the watch is running reasonably well you may never need spare parts.

Nice one. :thumbsup:
    gatorcpa

Kapka, sdre and gop76 like this.
  3. gop76 Oct 5, 2017

I saw that Polarouter placement before. Here:

advertisement24-big.jpg

The watch looks good to me, i would go for it. Movement issues wouldn't worry me too much, parts are available.

Giff2577 and Kapka like this.
  4. Dre Oct 5, 2017

Dial looks good, any spare parts for UG is always a plus! And dibs!

Kapka likes this.
  5. ARP488 Oct 5, 2017

Fantastic example grab it!

Kapka likes this.
  6. x3no Oct 5, 2017

Have seen that dial variation quite a few times, and as others have said, it's legit. Good luck!

Kapka likes this.
  7. panaitchrono Oct 6, 2017

I like it very much, if the price is reasonable go for it.

Kapka likes this.
  8. Kapka Oct 6, 2017

Guys, thank you for confirming the legit dial and for the note it is already in my possesion . It is just hard for me to understand what I actually possess since this is my first UG.

The watch is running but it does need a service. Don't think it has been use for many years. Does anyone know more precise what year the watch is manufactured? The table I found is saying rougly between 1952-1955 (based on the case number).

I think that I got a good deal but it was a wild and risky shot due to my very limited knowledge in this topic. I hate to ask the most awkward question but if anyone can give me the rough estimation of this piece I wold be greatful.

Many thanks again. Will post some more pictures late.

9. gop76 Oct 6, 2017

Is known that the Polarouter was launched in fall 1954, so the year of production can be restrained to 1954/1955. I've doubts that you can get more precise information than this.

According to value it's difficult because there aren't many reference points but, and i can only speak for myself, i would pay any value below 1k without any doubt.

Nice catch:thumbsup:

Kapka likes this.
  10. valjoux72 Oct 6, 2017

Fantastic watch, good work from gop76:thumbsup: to show the reference with Polarouter writing at 6.
    On the first glance I thought that Polarouter writing was added later as the fond is so much thinner and colour turns towards grey.

As said estimation of Polarouters is very difficult because they don´t come to the market often. But 1k would be a bargain imho.
    I guess you would have to pay at least the double, but only if you can source one for sale. From my point of view there are a lot of collectors looking to add one to their collection. And if you were lucky to snap one, most of the Universal Geneve addicted won´t ever sell it. Together with the Tri-compax these are the most important references.
    At least I wouldn´t sell neither my Polarouter nor my Tri-compax even for a premium...
    tricompax Polarouter.jpg

rosspo, x3no, Kapka and 2 others like this.
  11. gop76 Oct 6, 2017

I was only considering the dial and the case, i'm considering, in the worst case scenario, that the movement is lost and needs to be replaced by another one, most likely in the need of service...

So, maybe we're not so far in our estimations ;)

12. valjoux72 Oct 6, 2017

About estimation.... We will see what will happen with the Polarouter for sale at the bay right now, ending in three days with 1k bid at the moment...
    Watch has a later UG signed crown, dial & case look O.K. for me, but not sure about minute & hour hands...

Polarouter.jpg

13. Kapka Oct 6, 2017

Thanks guys @valjoux72 @gop76 for answering my questions so fast. The watch is growing on me every minute and thanks to you all I understand how rare this particular version is.
    I'm from Sweden so SAS connection is also quite interesting.

As for the value like many other rare watches I understand it is hard to put the finger on something that doesn't come up that often. At least I have rough picture. I thought that finding a nice Speedy pre-moon is hard but this thing seems to be much more rare. I was simply very lucky to run in to it .

Tomorrow I will try to "run" in to Tri-Compax and the rest should be easy to find .

Dial & Bezel likes this.
  14. Dre Oct 10, 2017

I won the watch, paid right away, then seller refunded my money and cancelled the sale within minutes. South America huh

[​IMG]

15. Dial & Bezel Oct 10, 2017

Not uncommon. :thumbsdown:

Dre likes this.
  16. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Oct 10, 2017

nice and catch it

17. valjoux72 Oct 10, 2017

Dre,
    I feel sorry for you, I think you would have made a great catch...
    Just can´t understand this sellers behavior. But at least you have one or two ;) other beautiful Universal Geneve in your collection, so it won´t hurt to long (I hope)...
    Cheers Georg

Dre likes this.
  18. 10H10 Oct 10, 2017

It would be nice to know the seller's pseudo, so we know for the future that he's not reliable...:thumbsdown:

Dre and valjoux72 like this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 10, 2017

This is why South American eBay auctions are on my personal “do not bid” list.

Life is too short to deal with people like this.
    gatorcpa

Dre likes this.