Forums Latest Members

Early Heuer Carreras - Heuer Leonidas movement but Ed Heuer case back

1. Davidt Apr 16, 2022

I’m looking at a vintage 3647 with unsigned crown and poly back but noticed the movement is signed Heuer Leonidas whereas the caseback is signed Ed Heuer & Co.

The unsigned crown obviously fits with the poly back, but as far as I’m aware the caseback and movement should match. I.e. if the movement is Heuer Leonidas the caseback should also show this. Is this correct?

Thanks

2. abrod520 Apr 16, 2022

For these very-early Carreras and Autavias, the movement should also be signed 'Ed. Heuer & Co'

Only for the last batch would I think a mix would be acceptable as original, as the last of the 'Ed Heuer' signed casebacks were probably joined with newer-production Heuer-Leonidas signed movements.

Davidt likes this.
  3. Davidt Apr 16, 2022

Yes exactly. The one I’m looking has the correct serial for a poly back but has a Leonidas movement with an Ed Heuer back. I’m unsure about it as I cannot find another example of a mis match movement and back

4. abrod520 Apr 16, 2022

This would have been my next question, since I wondered if it could have been a put-together entirely. But if it's all matching otherwise, it's got a donor movement.

I wouldn't be turned away completely by this issue alone if it were otherwise a nice example, though - I just wouldn't pay top price.

Davidt likes this.
  5. abrod520 Apr 16, 2022

Oh and what I mean by this, is the last batch of pre-merger watches - which would not have had poly backs or been in that earlier serial range.

The watch you're looking at has a donor movement

Mark020 likes this.
  6. Davidt Apr 16, 2022

That’s what I’m thinking as well. Everything else checks out.