Early English Wrist Watches

In order to contribute to this forum not only with a question (see https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-125-caseback-code-research.68098/ ), I present an example of lesser known UK products, which I personally regard as second to none.

Not many persons have English wrist watches in their scope. If so, one thinks perhaps of the Smiths watches, mostly post WWII. However, there are few made in the first three decades of the last century, which have continued the traditional English watchmaking, which has been superior in the 18th and 19th century. They, of course, were not competetive with respect to their price and a representative example for the decline of english watchmaking excellency.

One Example is the firm Rotherhams, who made very traditional English high quality movements and provided these the a few retailers. Below are photos of a Benson with Rotherham movement. Note the technical details: ratchet tooth lever escapement, bimetallic compensation balance, quarterscrews, overcoil hairspring, screwed jewels, cap jewels for lever and and escape (and of course the balance). Enjoy!

Cheers, Bernhard

1.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
4.jpg

Here is a recent purchase, not so old (60s), but still English quality movement (Smiths 27.CS). 9K case and with original box.

1.jpg 5.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

This thread is making me drool. Keep them coming, please. I have nothing to contribute here except mine goggling eyes!

David Penney has written an interesting and beautifully illustrated pamphlet on this subject, available on his website and eBay, I believe. No connection, just saying.
IMG_3958.JPG

Now that is a fabulous SmithS, hearty congratulations.....and Dibs! If I may, and I don't say that often.

Is that a menu from one of the Hillary dinners?

Now that is a fabulous SmithS, hearty congratulations.....and Dibs! If I may, and I don't say that often.

Is that a menu from one of the Hillary dinners?
Thats the menue before the mounting of Bill Clinton on Hillary

Thought I would add this Benson catalogue image from 1960 as 3 of the 4 watches are all British made.
BENSON CATALOGUE 1960 01.png

Well, that's not very British is it?::facepalm1::😝😁
my misposting of other photos clearly didn't help!!

I sold my WWW a few months ago but still have an A404, A409 and a gold Everest and enjoy wearing them and they all keep excellent time. The Everest as you can see was recently serviced by watchguy.
P1050823.JPG P1040669.JPG smiths everest 2.jpg

recently added this Deluxe GS issued in Australia and love it, and the W10 (actually a 0552) is a great day to day watch GS-8.jpg Smiths 0552 1.jpg

my misposting of other photos clearly didn't help!!
The "...not very British..." comment was directed at Fallout's polluting Presidential smut 🙄😀, rather than the swiss made movements :whipped:😉

The model name referred to the water-tight case. That was before the phrase "tropical" was adopted by vintage watch dealers for not perfect dials.