Forums Latest Members
  1. tjdwhite Sep 6, 2022

Hello all, my first Omegas arrived today and I'd like your opinion please.
    I set out to find an early 1950s Constellation but have gravitated towards the 1960s 5xx models. I don't really know what I'm talking about yet so please forgive any clangers!
    They are both steel - a 1961 14393 with lyre lugs (thanks to @dsio and the fantastic Ebay recommendations thread) and a 1962 14900 with dogleg lugs (that was a bit of a punt).
    I took them to a watchmaker where I live in Bristol today (Horological Underground) for an initial assessment, to get the backs opened and see what was inside and to book a service. Case back and movement pics thanks to them. I've been struggling to take pics in the night-time kitchen lighting on my phone so any tips would be welcome - probably take them in the day time!
    The 14393 first - it's the original crystal, would you have it polished or replaced? Not the original crown, would you replace with an original? Not the original strap or buckle, would you search for an Omega buckle? My initial thought is polish the crystal, don't replace the crown, nice new strap, non Omega buckle and wear it :)

14393 case back.jpeg 14393 movement 1.jpeg 14393 movement 2.jpeg image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpg
    Kik_Kat_Kish, nicks, tamura and 2 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2022

tjdwhite likes this.
  3. tjdwhite Sep 6, 2022

Now the 14900 - it's not the original crystal, would you search for a nos Omega replacement? Not the original crown, would you replace with an original? Not the original strap but could be the original buckle, or I presume it's Omega. Can anyone please confirm?
    I'm also really pleased with this purchase. It came with the original box in really good condition and the certificate matching the serial number noting it had "exceptionally good results". The seller's photos were really bad, but like I said in my original post I have a better understanding of how difficult it is to take good ones! The lugs look really sharp but it's difficult to capture in the pics.
    My initial thought is replace the crystal with nos signed, replace the crown with the thin decagon, transfer the buckle to a new strap. As I've got the box and cert, I thought to get this closer to factory specification and keep it for special :)

14900 case back.jpeg 14900 movement 1.jpeg 14900 movement 2.jpeg image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg image7.jpeg image8.jpg
    bananapeanut, nicks, Zapatta and 4 others like this.
  4. tjdwhite Sep 6, 2022

Perfect advice, thank you! And thanks again for the recommendation .. that thread is great viewing ::love::

5. Engee Sep 6, 2022

Great start to your collection!
    Take pictures in daylight. It's perfectly possible to take decent pictures with an iphone depending on the generation. Close ups in focus is the test.

If you want the watch to be desirable to collectors, DO NOT HAVE THEM POLISHED.

DO try to find the right crown. Interesting that @dsio disagrees with me here.

DEFINITELY have the crystal polished if it's original. If you're not satisfied with how it turns out have it replaced. It's not a big deal but I think always nicer if the original crystal is still there, but not if it's knackered. Those pictures would suggest the crystal will polish up OK. If it has any cracks change it.

Strap and buckle is a matter of personal choice. I think most collectors would say that an original buckle is a nice to have, with or without an Omega strap. Where a watch might have originally been sold with a bracelet many will look to pair the head up with a bracelet, but again, it's not crucial. Many people prefer to use a particular type or brand of strap that they find comfortable.

tjdwhite likes this.
  6. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 6, 2022

Those dogleg edges are really sharp! :thumbsup:

On vintage Omega watches the originality of parts add value to the watch so I would tend to look for original crystal and crown. In the case of the 14900 the crown is already original so leave as is. The crystal is quite banged up so probably worth changing instead of refurbishing.

tjdwhite likes this.
  7. MtV Sep 6, 2022

Nice catches! The dogleg case seems to be pretty sharp, too - more often than not they’ve lost their awesome shape.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry too much about a non-original plexi, but ask your watchmaker. If he can source one, why not.

I politely disagree - a thin decagonal would be correct. Again, a matter of personal taste but especially with the doglegs the right crown makes a difference to me, as it mirrors the edgy case style. Doesn’t have to be a flat foot logo one (which would set you back ~100$ or so), but service replacements / repros (same shape) can be found on eBay regularly for 20$ or so. Imo that’s worth it.

Dan S, Deafboy and tjdwhite like this.
  8. tjdwhite Sep 6, 2022

@Engee Thank you! The watchmaker thought the 14393 crystal would polish up ok. Does that mean you lose the logo? Yeah pleased one came with an Omega buckle. I don’t think I’ll be able to resist searching for another one :)

9. tjdwhite Sep 6, 2022

@Deafboy @MtV thank you yes the dogleg facets look really good to me in the flesh. Hard to capture in the pics. The watchmaker said he thought it was unpolished but did hmmm afterwards and say maybe a little. He also said the movement was in excellent condition which was great to hear.
    I guess the damage on the lugs is from changing the strap? I wouldn’t have the case polished but would you have localised repairs of nicks like that?
    My research so far agrees with @MtV that it should be a decagon crown.

Deafboy likes this.
  10. MtV Sep 6, 2022

Never mind a little nick on the case. It’s 60 years old - let it have a scar here and there. :)

tjdwhite likes this.
  11. tjdwhite Sep 6, 2022

Even better :)

12. Engee Sep 6, 2022

Not sure if the logo is etched onto the inside or outside of the crystal - I think the outside so you may lose it, depending on how it’s polished up. For sure, keeping the Omega symbol on the crystal is the reason to preserve it, for me at least. Crystals are not expensive, so you’re weighing the cost of the watchmaker or their assistant spending time polishing an original against paying for a replacement.

tjdwhite likes this.
  13. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 6, 2022

Logo is inside the crystal so no problem when polishing.

nicks, Engee, MtV and 1 other person like this.
  14. tjdwhite Sep 6, 2022

@Engee ok thanks, appreciate the advice!

15. tjdwhite Sep 6, 2022

Excellent, thank you.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2022

Yea the crowns I’m a bit of a pragmatist about, I have several Connie’s with original dodecagonal crowns and I hate them because they’re terrible to use, I have lots of Seamasters with clover crowns too and they’re about as bad, so I like my watches with grippy knurled crowns and when I get a crown like that on a watch that didn’t originally come with it… I just use it because spending more money to make thing harder on myself isn’t my idea of a good time. I’m a minority in caring less about crowns as long as theres a practical option on it, most people would agree with you on that. I tend to avoid the Omega buckles just because of how many fakes there are and use the ones that come with the straps I buy too out of convenience.

nicks, Engee and Dan S like this.
  17. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 6, 2022

So true. Although pretty, those things are so difficult to grab.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2022

I’ve been meaning to get one of those Bergeon crown turner thingamiebobs for about 15 years but they’re probably going to get lost like the half dozen Bergeon springbars tools I’ve misplaced anyway.

https://www.watchmaterial.com/bergeon-watch-crown-winder-tool-ber30409/

Syrte, MtV and Deafboy like this.
  19. nicks Sep 7, 2022

Well done, nice watches.

My personal approach to scratched crystals is to have a good whack at them myself with Polywatch. Mostly that works just fine; if it doesn’t (because the scratches are so deep) I get them replaced.

tjdwhite likes this.
  20. tjdwhite Sep 25, 2022

Took a few pics in daylight today. Gone for it a bit - got new crowns, a more period buckle and a bracelet. Didn't mean to buy the bracelet, just kind of happened.

IMG_3380.jpg IMG_3384.jpg IMG_3386.jpg IMG_3390.jpg IMG_3396.jpg
    bananapeanut likes this.