Forums Latest Members
  1. LBH23 Aug 26, 2017

So my Speedmaster collection stands at three; the classic 3570, the Tintin and the Dark Side of the Moon. I am beyond in love with the new Speedmaster Racing 9900 white dial. Don't want to outright buy it, have rule of one in, one out, so would have to make a trade and since I only want one larger watch, the DSOTM would have to be the one. So, let's discuss!

If it makes any difference, the entire collection is as follows:

Rolex Submariner Hulk
    Rolex GMTIIC Master 116710LN
    Rolex Datejust 41 Rhodium on Jubilee
    Omega PO Titanium 42mm
    Omega Speedy Pro 3570.50
    Omega Speedmaster Tintin
    Omega Speedmaster DSOTM
    Bremont MB2

So, would two racing dials be redundant? Is the new racing worth giving up the DSOTM? Would a new white dial round out the collection better? Would love some insight from the group - thanks in advance.

2. Riviera Paradise Aug 26, 2017

Great collection you get there! I would trade the Speedy Pro Tintin for the Speedy Racing MC white dial, you already have a Speedy Pro. You would get the Racing theme in your collection AND a white dial sports watch. I would not trade-in the DSOTM, it has become a modern iconic Omega piece and nothing else in your collection has that stealth darkside vibe.

Bushido likes this.
  3. Bushido Aug 26, 2017

@Riviera Paradise has pretty much summed up my opinion. A white dial Speedy Racing will compliment the DSOTM very well! If the only option is either the Racing or DSOTM in your collection...I'm leaning towards keeping the Dark Side as it sits pretty unique within your watch line up.

José9 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  4. w.finkenstaedt Aug 27, 2017

Why on EARTH would you give up a Tintin or a DSOTM when you can give up the 3570.50? There's enough variation between the Tintin and the Racing that you can easily own both.

Personally I'd rather keep the rarer models and give up the common; you can always buy the common back later. Tintin at least will be harder to source, and you'll lose way more money if you decide you want DSOTM again (initial depreciation + cost of buying it back over what you sold it at).

5. Riviera Paradise Aug 27, 2017

From a watch retained value perspective I completely agree with you, but from a collection motivation POV the OP might prefer having just one "racing" themed watch and hold onto the pure classical Moonwatch, especially if he is into the whole NASA / space program thing. Perhaps this was an incorrect assumption on my part.

I personally always had a thing for Tintin comics so I could justify keeping both the Tintin and the new Speedy Racing, with the Tintin more a homage to the comic book than a true "racing" themed watch, perhaps with a FOIS instead of the classical Speedy Pro for additional variety.

I think most would agree though that flipping the DSOTM for the new Racing would not be the best move.

Df13 likes this.
  6. CTS-V Aug 27, 2017

No no no on the Tin Tin.....liquidate the 3570.....

7. Df13 Aug 27, 2017

If you're going to do it, I say move the Tin Tin, although I'd probably just keep what you have...that being said, if that was really my collection, I'd sell everything but the 3570.50 and just buy a Patek to pair with it. :)

8. karalhoin Aug 28, 2017

The DSOTM is a very unique watch. Like it or not, it's a first of its kind and it's stil innovative even today, plus it keep looking brand new, the thing is fully scratch-free.

I don't wear it everyday and thought about selling it (had an offer at 100% if what I paid for it new) but it's one of a kind, I ended up keeping it. I have a Submariner on order and I already know that one of the things I'll miss in the Rollie is a ceramic dial. That shiny glow is unique. Plus a lot more resistant to fade and corrosion.

Pretty much the only thing I don't like about it is that it's a bit too thick.

Edited Aug 28, 2017
    José9 likes this.
  9. LBH23 Aug 28, 2017

Thanks for the insight so far. I would certainly like to hear more opinions, but probably not going to make any move. Trading the 3570 does not help much because the new Speedmaster Racing would be way more expensive. And I do not want to have two 44.25mm watches in the collection, I tend not to like large watches, so having the DSOTM or the Racing will work, but not both. Seems not too many in favor of trading the DSOTM towards the white dial racing. That is really what I am left with; but a white dial would add something to the collection....

10. karalhoin Aug 28, 2017

I think it goes beyond color and design. The DSOTM is much more unique in terms of engineering and innovation. The Racing is just... another nice stainless steel watch, with a white dial...

José9 likes this.
  11. Riviera Paradise Aug 28, 2017

Yes, I believe the DSOTM does represent a significant mark for Omega in terms of full ceramic case innovation, though I believe most of that ceramic innovation might actually have been undertaken by sister Swatch company Rado. For the new Racing the black ceramic bezel on the white dial version uses 5 layers of baked enamel and you also have the anti-magnetic 9900 movement (see photo below from ABTW on the new bezel manufacturing process)
    Omega-Speedmaster-Racing-Master-Chronometer-2017-aBlogtoWatch-18.jpg
    I don't own a DSOTM, but I do think it looks very cool, and I have often tried it on at my local OB. I have heard some owners complain about getting tired of the watch's glossy look over a period of time (the majority seem to love it). IMO the new white dial Racing look's more sophisticated at a distance and DSOTM looks superior close up.

This really is a subjective call for you, @LBH23. I would certainly recommend doing live wrist watch test with both and some side by side comparison...the white dial does wear bigger (which is pretty true for any white dial watch), and you don't seem to be 100% comfortable with large watches in your collection...so you might be trading a watch that wears smaller (DSOTM) for a watch that wears bigger (white dial Racing).

12. ras47 Aug 28, 2017

Personally, I'd ditch the Hulk. I hate the colored Subs - Hulk, Kermit, Bluesy - they really turn me off. I know I'm in the minority with this, but I just don't like 'em. I'd keep all the Speedys and the GMT. The Bremont is not a fave of mine, but i can still appreciate it's appeal. The DJ and PO are classics so I'd try to hang onto them as well.

José9, Riviera Paradise and Df13 like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2017

Yep - the DSOTM wasn't even the first ceramic watch in the Swatch group, let alone the first anywhere. You can buy ceramic quartz watches for a couple of hundreds dollars (a friend of mine bought his daughter a pink one last year).

14. Df13 Aug 29, 2017

I totally agree about colored Subs, but, then again, I've never purchased a watch without a black (or occasionally silver) face, so I guess I feel that way about all watches. :D

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  15. Watchmutt Sep 4, 2017

How about you give up the watch that is the easiest to buy back later. I had a few watches that I hunted for, sold/traded, and then regretted it, because now I can't find them for anywhere near the price I bought them for.

ras47 likes this.
  16. ras47 Sep 9, 2017

That's a good way to go. Part with whatever is easiest to replace should you get nostalgic for that model down the road.