Forums Latest Members

DOXA Sub 300 Black Lung Reissue

1. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Sep 30, 2017

Looks like Doxa is reissuing the Sub 300 Blacklung. Preorders tomorrow. Just some teasers on IG right now.

19D2F05E-F288-4625-AB2B-63D4B81202B0.png AA6AF6E3-5EC1-4804-9310-42188AC62685.png 2D8DB292-6C3D-494F-BDD4-EFADA2EFBB8B.png
    Kmart, Emeister and R3D9 like this.
  2. R3D9 Sep 30, 2017

Love the Doxa aesthetic. Wish I was in a position to pull the trigger.

Waltesefalcon and Jwit like this.
  3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Sep 30, 2017

Completely in the same boat. Hoping to pick up an original Sub 300 sometime in the next couple years. But I am somewhat enabling a member here to jump on this

4. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Sep 30, 2017

Pre-Ordering has just (?) gone live. At least I didn't see it when you first posted this.

Thanks @Jwit :thumbsup:
    I've just ordered one. :cool:
    I really can't be trusted with the internet and a credit card. ::facepalm2::
    Haven't even thrown the rum into the mix yet today. :whistling:

Kmart, R3D9 and pascs like this.
  5. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Sep 30, 2017

Now off to WUS to check out the "buzz". :rolleyes:
    Not that I give a monkey's about the opinions there.:D

6. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Sep 30, 2017

Do you have a link? Trying to forward it and can’t find it for some reason. Congrats!

7. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Sep 30, 2017

http://www.doxawatches.com/SUB300-Black-Lung.html

Official Doxa statement on WUS:
    "Due to the special place this watch has in our hearts, and in the heart of every dive watch Enthusiast, Connaisseur and Collector, we wanted to give DOXA returning customers and vintage dive watch collectors who are close to DOXA, the privilege to acquire one of those 300 pieces before the official announcement is made on October 1st. by sending a private invitation email. Up till now, that is 1 hour after the first email was sent, more than half the edition has been pre-ordered.

The official announcement will be made tomorrow and the website will be updated accordingly."

I'm a "Connaisseur" !!!! :p

blacklung.jpg

Thanks again for the heads up ;)
    Hope your enabling works out.

Speedy Tuesday presale gets a mention in the WUS thread :)

Edited: to add less cropped photo, showing "U.S. Divers"(?) knife and Calypso regulator as props.

Edited Oct 1, 2017
    Kmart, tyrantlizardrex and Jwit like this.
  8. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Sep 30, 2017

For anyone interested. The preorder price is $2190 USD with a $500 USD deposit(not sure if it’s refundable or not)

@Emeister do you know if the deposit is refundable? I’m trying to enable @Kmart but he’s dead asleep. If it’s refundable I would totally jump on it for him

Edited Sep 30, 2017
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 30, 2017

Please note that pre-orders are final and cannot be refunded, yet the deposit can be used towards any other DOXA SUB model..

Jwit and Emeister like this.
  10. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Sep 30, 2017

Jwit likes this.
  11. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 1, 2017

Thank you! I was out and about at bars last night trying to find it and obviously was not at full capacity.

12. keywerd Oct 1, 2017

I'm in for one! Weird they add an extra 100 USD for VAT on the initial deposit...

Jwit likes this.
  13. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 1, 2017

Jwit likes this.
  14. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 1, 2017

Did the extra $100 show up on your invoice? Can I ask where in the world you are?
    I'm in Australia and just got charged the US$500 plus a "flat rate" US$45 shipping fee. Not sure if I'll be up for an extra FedEx fee when the time comes.

Must say I'm a bit confused by all the Europeans getting charged 20% VAT (upon delivery). Do all other Swiss manufacturers have the same issue shipping to the EU from Switzerland?
    I expect I'll be up for 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax) / Customs Duty + FedEx document fees but can't complain if those more 'local' are getting hit double that.

15. keywerd Oct 1, 2017

I expect it would have - that was for a UK billing address and perhaps based on my IP address. I went back and switched to a US billing and shipping address and then it came back down to $500 although even at the final confirmation screen it was showing $600 before I confirmed the order.

16. simon.pearl Oct 1, 2017

Beautiful looking Doxa but I’ve heard too many horror stories over the past couple of years about Doxa’s QC and customer service to gamble on one. Shame as I’ve wanted one for a long time.

17. Ninja2789 Oct 1, 2017

I've been a big fan of vintage Doxa for awhile. They couldn't take my money fast enough with this black lung remake.

Kmart, Jwit, Emeister and 1 other person like this.
  18. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 1, 2017

Same story. I've appreciated the vintage Doxa Subs since I've been into watches.
    I've been slightly suspicious of "modern" Doxa, as per @simon.pearl 's post above. I don't think they'll ever shake that QC/Customer Service, Swiss/Chinese "cloud". Afraid that's just the nature of the internet.

With this "Black Lung" I immediately looked at it and thought "how could Doxa screw me over in the near future if I bought one?".
    Truth is it's taken them 15 years since the original SUB300T reissue to get to this stage of producing the watch I actually want.
    In that time I could have, like many others, plumped for the 300T (with very strange lugs), or the 1200T which was described for a long time as the closest you could get to the originals, or a myriad of alternatives that just didn't sing to me.
    Only last year the 50th Anniversary was brought out which this Black Lung is incredibly similar to.
    I'm not sure if there was a deposit system for those but many fans had to pre-order and wait six/seven months. There's more than a few that are a bit disappointed this weekend that if they'd known the Black Lung was coming out they'd have bought a 50th anniversery SeaRambler (silver dial) and waited for this one to get the Professional (Orange dial).

It was only three days ago that Doxa announced via WUS that the 50th Anniversary Professional was now sold out.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f34/doxa-sub-professional-50th-anniversary-sold-out-4540849.html
    That thread was started 2 days earlier and presumably, before editing, was pushing for buyers not to miss out on the last seven Professionals.
    I'd be upset now if I was one of those buyers.
    There was a similar "urgency" back in October 2016 :cautious:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f34/very-few-sub300-professional-pre-orders-left-3687562.html

There was also a Dec 2016 "assurance" that there would never again be another 50th Anniversary.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f34/sub-300-production-numbers-3838346-2.html
    Only One.JPG
    Whether it was an honest statement (which it is, literally :rolleyes:) or if it was knowingly vague in response to a specific question is open to interpretation.

Anyway, bottom line is I fully expect to be a one time only customer of 'modern' Doxa and this watch is the one I want.
    I can see future improvements to the crown and endlinks as a distinct possibility on future models. I also have little doubt that the Aqua Lung logo will reappear on Sharkhunters, SeaRamblers and quite possibly Divingstars (yellow dial). There may even be a Conquistador with HEV, but I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with my Black Lung.

This whole internet marketing / limited edition thing is certainly quite interesting to watch live. ::popcorn::
    Seems Analog Shift and Fratello, in particular, did more of the work than Doxa themselves.

There still seems to be people believing that this is limited to existing or preferred customers.
    The power of Marketing and Chinese (Swiss, honestly) whispers ;) :p

Edited Oct 2, 2017
    Pun, Kmart and pascs like this.
  19. pascs Oct 2, 2017

Have put my order in yesterday for that Doxa look I have always wanted :thumbsup:

I nearly bought a vintage Doxa a few years back but the seller then became extremely abusive because his paypal wouldnt accept my payment, this left me so angry that I stopped looking at Doxa completely - weird I know but I just couldnt get that negative feeling out of my system..............until now :D

Kmart and Emeister like this.
  20. lwong Oct 2, 2017

I'm down for one too. A vintage black lung has been on my 'legit' grail list for the longest time, but I've not had the fortune to encounter any in the wild, or be at the right place at the right time. Resigned, I was close to committing on the 300T reissue, but I'm glad I held out as I had a gut feel this might be around the corner. The black-background aqualung logo really seals the deal for me.

I agree its likely that the aqualung logo will see a renaissance amongst future Doxa models, but I hope they stay true to heritage and retain this as the sole model with a blacked out logo. Naturally I'm also motivated by self-interest to preserve the exclusivity of the reissued black lung...

Similarly I would not put it past Doxa to resurface other iconic variants such as the Poseidon and Army. Which makes me wonder, whether at some point people will start sitting up and paying attention to this hitherto under-the-radar brand.

Kmart, Emeister and Jwit like this.