Forums Latest Members

Don't we all wish the luminous stays perfect and not disintegrate into dust?

1. Wongo Sep 23, 2014

Its delightful to own this but I wish all the vintage luminous stays on dial.

image1.JPG
    Dogmann likes this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2014

You mean like dangerous radioactive dust:rolleyes:

3. Wongo Sep 23, 2014

It is alot of Radium there, pity radioactive dust don't grow like molds.

4. cristos71 Sep 24, 2014

Snap! :)

IMG_1196.JPG

5. Wongo Sep 24, 2014

Very nice condition. Strong movement too. Think these things can be use for another 50 years without change of parts, only problem for me now is when I wind, it slips. so something is not catching to another wheel or god knows what, don't trust a soul fixing clock... watch ok. Clocks... not tried.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 24, 2014

Just curious, shouldn't it be easier to fix clocks due to its size rather than watch? Spare parts might be a problem but other than that what would make it more difficult to fix than a watch movement?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 24, 2014

I would not say that clock repair is more difficult than watch repair, but it is a very different skill set. It's not just a matter of scale, but different mechanisms are often involved, tolerances are not the same, and the types of repairs typically needed are not the same.

Some schools teach clock repair along with watches, but those tend to be smaller independent schools that do not follow a WOSTEP or SAWTA curriculum.

I often get asked if I repair clocks, so I have to explain to people often that what I do and what a clockmaker does are not really the same things.

Cheers, Al

8. Wongo Sep 24, 2014

Al, My watch maker said in the past that the mainspring will give you a good deep cut if not careful.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 24, 2014

Yes, certainly more dangerous dealing with clock mainsprings than most watch mainsprings. I have seen photos of cuts that go to the bone from clock mainsprings...

But with either profession, the biggest hazard to your health is that the work is quite sedentary...