Forums Latest Members
  1. Kja Jan 31, 2017

With the speedy Tuesday coming, I feel that omega has finally fully embraced their online fans(i.e. us!), so being that in Every vintage omega forum it seems "don't send it to omega" is the major theme.. Anyone think this is not good for omega? There policy on vintage has always been wrong but now I feel they need to change it or be seen as terribly "fake" by pretending to care about vintage omega but not truly showing it by being honest about what they can and should do..
    The days of ruining the value of our watches which there bs quip about it running the best,waterproof,etc. is tired, and now it's time for even omega to admit it!

2. cvrle1 Feb 1, 2017

They gain absolutely nothing by admitting this. I would go as far as to say they feel that they are doing what they should, and arent doing anything wrong as far as they are concerned. As far as I know they are upfront on what will happen, and never guarantee that watch will look the same, or that they will use vintage parts for service on vintage watches. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that they should keep going this way with vintage watches, but they havent done anything malicious or shady as far as I know. Odds are that number of people that send their watches in to them to get service on is heavily tilted towards new, or newer watches than vintage ones, so watch will look relatively same when it comes out as it did when it came in.

Just my 2C :)

jedical, nonuffinkbloke and Foo2rama like this.
  3. wsfarrell Feb 1, 2017

At least Omega returns old parts. Rolex doesn't.

kov, watch3s, Etp095 and 3 others like this.
  4. Kja Feb 1, 2017

I think for the most they are doing a good job, I'm talking about that 3%, the $30,000 watch that the owner loves and has no clue that they could destroy the value, to me this is very wrong. Especially when a lot of these newer watches are celebrating the old ones, this newest speedy tuesday for a well regarded vintage trader, it is clear that they are embracing the vintage watch world now.
    I think for that 3% watch, say a pie pan that will lose its dial.. Or a speedy that will never have its lume again, they need to be upfront and tell people they cannot maintain its true worth if they service, or absorb some of these guys like archer that can service them correctly. Maybe as a vintage division. They could even start manufacturing old parts again. Either way I feel the Gray area where NOBODY online recommends their service is really not a good look for them.
    This is maybe just an idea more than a critisism, I just wanted to put it out there on their forum, I think they have a great opportunity here, and they always talk about wanting to be number one, well OWN the vintage market and you will be seen on par with the crown. Just my two worthless cents.

Watch_n_Wrist, SpeedyPhill and marcn like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 1, 2017

Omega does not want to do restoration work. I'm with @cvrle1 they are doing what makes sense for them. I see no business case for them to change.

jedical, cvrle1, Lonestar and 2 others like this.
  6. jurisevac@ Feb 1, 2017

Go sometime in OMEGA for the information, and restoration they have.

7. mac_omega Feb 1, 2017

??::confused2::??

nonuffinkbloke, joso and Jhh834 like this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 1, 2017

Help you they will...

9. Faz Feb 1, 2017

Simple...like it or not, they are in the business of selling new watches parts and service. The vintage crowd is a tiny drop in their bucket. I think the fact that they acknowledge their past and heritage (extracts of the archives) is quite honorable.

Cheers,

rsteabo, Lonestar and Jwit like this.
  10. jurisevac@ Feb 1, 2017

Omega will carried restoration and service of your watch,against misleading attempts,OMEGA is the best for you watch.

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 1, 2017

The force is weak with this one...

12. jurisevac@ Feb 1, 2017

They have price list for battery watch service padders.

13. dialstatic Feb 1, 2017

I disagree. Their policy simply isn't in line with what most of us collectors want. Keep in mind that we are a relatively small section of their target audience (and not a very profitable one at that). Most people just want to send in their damaged vintage watch and get it back like new and functioning to spec. Omega provided this service for watches that are many decades old - which is amazing if you think about it.

For obvious reasons I'm never gonna let them work on my watches, but I have people for that. I applaud Omega for the service they offer.

cvrle1, Mouse_at_Large and Jwit like this.
  14. Screwbacks Feb 1, 2017

reworking or restoring vintage omega watches by omega themselves is not profitable much less generate sales for them.

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 1, 2017

I think it is pretty simple really, if you want it to look literally brand new, send it to Omega. If you value patina or originality then don't. STS are a useful happy medium offering factory levels of service but with a sympathetic ear with regard to leaving originality be. I have heard that Omega Bienne can do amazing restoration work with older pieces but would I trust a 50s or 60s piece to a local OSC? Probably not.

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 1, 2017

What about other makes who service their heritage ( e.g. Porsche classic car service with maintenance & parts for all cars since 1948 )?
    Omega's policy isn't in line with the classic & vintage watch collector... a well thought service could be profitable :confused:

17. jurisevac@ Feb 1, 2017

It is pretty simple, for discount, I have to bring or send some members and friends collectors to my service and my discount is bigger,and faster repair for the project I have in my garage.I have heard that.

18. joso Feb 1, 2017

Made my day:)

padders likes this.
  19. simonsays Feb 1, 2017

I think even collectors want different things. Until recently lots of us have been guilty of happily getting a watch 'Omega Bienned" to look like new and being thrilled with the results. I think people are becoming more educated, and sympathetic to restoring watches, and what once was seen as an unacceptable defect is now patina. You have to be very specific with your instructions to the watchmaker, which is where STS has a huge advantage over Bienne.

20. brunik Feb 1, 2017

Rolex always gave me the changed parts... you just need to state in the cotation doc.

At least with me always worked.

watch3s likes this.