Forums Latest Members

Does "Tiffany, Meister, or Turler" add a lot of value ?

1. chipsotoole Sep 21, 2017

Hi Omegoids,

As you all know the above names are of resellers or bespoke jewellers who, on receiving the goods back in the day , would often add their name to the dial before selling to the customer from their boutique(s). This was done as far as I know up to about 1973-74.
    I know this is a tricky thing to evaluate, but do they add significantly to the watches value. Is it because of rarity or is the the value of an extra brandname on there.
    Let's say you've got 2 chunky Omega Geneves with loaded cal 1481 from the early 70's in identical decent condition, both with original bands. Not particularly sought after either in terms of design, calibre or rarity. Market value of the standard one might average out somewhere around 250-300 UK pounds. How much more might a "Turler" or "Meister" addition push the price up ?

2. tdn-dk Sep 21, 2017

I got this recently, a Ranchero 2990-1 ref. with Seamaster Meister dial. Did not pay a premium :)

IMG_7642.JPG

PhilN, tamura and chipsotoole like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 21, 2017

Depends what watch it's on ;) some it may, some it may not.

A Omega Geneve :whistling:. No

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 21, 2017

Typically, and all other factors being equal, a "double-branded" vintage watch will bring higher price. Why? Simply because it is more exclusive (i.e. uncommon). Parsing it out further, you may find that, for example, Türler and Gübelin carry a bit more caché value than some others.

PhilN and Vitezi like this.
  5. watchlovr Sep 21, 2017

As an owner of a double ref Speedmaster, I'd lovevto say yes but I'm not so sure.
    Maybe a few percent at the moment but who knows about the future?

Double name sports Rolex were once cheap.

6. mikechi22 Sep 21, 2017

That's fascinating. The extra script on the dial strikes me as so artless. I've stayed away from these...it's like the piece has been vandalized in my eyes.

noelekal likes this.
  7. Davidt Sep 21, 2017

Doesn't add any value whatsoever in my eyes. I'd actually prefer one that a third party hadn't scribbled all over.

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 21, 2017

Actually, I prefer double-branding to the ubiquitous, and arguably silly "automatic" found on dials. The latter had its (marketing) place when automatic movements were novel, but that was a long time ago. Also, while you are certainly entitled to your own aesthetic preferences, many double-branded dials are designed very tastefully.

[​IMG]

9. Rumar89 Sep 21, 2017

If I could find a Serpico y Laino DJ or DD that wouldn't cost me my right arm or my first born child I would be all over it.

(Photos shamelessly stolen from the internet.)

IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG

WhatYourWatchSay and Jwit like this.
  10. gminnj Sep 21, 2017

As is seen in the replies here, the answer is probably leaning toward being able to command a premium, but depends on a.) the watch/condition, b.) the co-brand and c.) the buyer.

There are clearly (many?) people who would not pay a premium for a co-brand, and/or would not want one at all, no matter the price.

Then there are some who are interested because of scarcity, or because they have high regard for the specific co-brand, or both.

As I've said on other threads, I'd be very interested in a Tiffany Omega, depending on how the brand was executed, the watch, etc., but less interested in Meister, etc.

All comes down to personal preference, I guess, but in general I would assume that there is a buyer out there for almost every co-branded watch. Just need to find him/her...

11. mikechi22 Sep 21, 2017

Now, I have to say that Türler Genéve was actually nice, but these two? The co-brand seems so carelessly applied. It's really interesting that there is a market for such a thing and that it actually commands a premium. Not my thing, but more power to y'all!

12. ryanbk Sep 21, 2017

I'm on David's boat here completely...

13. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 21, 2017

Tiffany seems to be the only brand that consistantly adds appreciably to value on most watches...the others not so much.
    But generally I wouldn't pay a premium for any name on a dial, and prefer them without.

14. valjoux72 Sep 21, 2017

Not an easy question for me. If a watch is rare it doesn´t need a double signed dial. But sometimes it is the icing on the cake...

I have two Universal Geneve watches with double signed dials.
    The Altesse underline on the first one is difficult to read already and not so special...
    2017neu.jpg

Total different on my Polarouter, the "Joyeros Chantilly" makes this one even more special...

s-l1600.jpg

gminnj likes this.
  15. Rumar89 Sep 21, 2017

It's more the story behind Serpico y Laino that hooked me. Two Italian immigrants set up a jewelry store in Caracas, and managed to sign an exclusive distribution agreement with Rolex. This was back when Venezuela was the richest country in South America. The business folded in the '60's due to political instability.

Anytime I find a watch from an unexpected location, it always makes me wonder who at the time was buying it.

mikechi22 and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  16. momosono Sep 21, 2017

For some reason I've always had a faible for vintage watches that had Cuervo y Sobrinos (Habana) on the dial, but I never bought one due to bids going too high or asking prices being too optimistic. (In my eyes of course).

Rumar89 and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  17. WhatYourWatchSay Sep 21, 2017

Here in Ontario, Canada I've seen a lot of Turler co-branded Omega watches over the last 20 years, usually priced much higher than they're actually worth. I have to wonder if some weren't redials with the Turler added to create sense of higher value.

plexyforever and gminnj like this.