Forums Latest Members
  1. Farmer1906 Aug 20, 2014

Looking to make an offer, but I just wanted some experts to take a look and see if they notice anything wrong that I missed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. repoman Aug 20, 2014

Movement looks really clean, like its been serviced recently (at least to my eyes). Serial # hard to make out, but looks like 26,xxx,xxx which would be right, inner case back markings look good, dial looks good, hands are right type but look a little too good (like they've been replaced), bezel looks great, case is a bit rough (err, has a lot of character). I'd say this watch is a nice '67 and can't see any reason not to go for it.

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 20, 2014

the battle scars on the caseback and the new hands would make me think twice.

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. Farmer1906 Aug 20, 2014

Keeping the condition in mind. What do yall think a fair value would be?

5. Davidt Aug 20, 2014

Depends on the price. As above, the dial and bezel are nice, hands look replaced and although the case back has a few marks, the rest of the case looks honest and unpolished.

The hands could be 'aged' by a competent watchmaker to match the dial.

At at the right price I'd go for it.

6. initialjh Aug 20, 2014

condition is fair. Yes - hate those scratch marks - careless.

replaced hands but yes, it's a go-er for me.

7. Davidt Aug 20, 2014

Checkout speedmaster101 website for a nice up to date price guide.

I'd hazard a guess at $3.5k. Possibly a bit more if it's been serviced.

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. JohnSteed Aug 20, 2014

Check a couple movement screws if they seem a bit loose? Like immediately by the Serial#.

IF hour plots are not relumed then seems decent at around $3600 or so BUT note those price movements have been going up for good examples. Seeing the smudge? near 6 o'clock I'm guessing possible relume....so I'd stay away if that can't be clarified. Although....Relume not a bad thing to some IF done right

9. Davidt Aug 20, 2014

I don't know. Isn't that how the plots often look with a bit of moisture?

10. JohnSteed Aug 20, 2014

Hr plots at 4 and 5 o'clock don't seem to show the step. But yeah Davidt3449, I guess you could be correct. But I'm trying to balance the look of the plots with the rest of the dial, i.e., that smudge. I remember someone somewhere saying that the smudge (if that's what it is) could be there because of how the dial was handled in a service.

Still ... It's a decent (edit: nice) watch

Davidt likes this.
  11. Farmer1906 Aug 20, 2014

Got confirmation that the hands were replaced. He's wanting 3800. I'm going to hold off unless I can get him down.

12. JohnSteed Aug 20, 2014

Have a conversation with the seller ... if possible.

13. Farmer1906 Aug 20, 2014

Appreciate everyone's input. I think I'll hold off unless I can get him way down.

And the search continues.

14. JohnSteed Aug 20, 2014

Remember Speedy prices seem to be trending up ... GLWYSearch

Spacefruit likes this.
  15. Davidt Aug 21, 2014

If the dial has been relumed, I'd pass. If it's original I don't think 3800 is that bad and if the seller will budge somewhat, personally, I'd be tempted.

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 21, 2014

There is no doubt this is not nice enough for me to want to buy - because I am lucky enough to have one or two. However there is a massive shortage of nice watches at the moment. This one as a poor case, new hands, and that movement may be cleaned and oiled but the pushers still show dirt on the tubes, so they were not replaced - leads me to ask, who did the work? Quite possible it is a good watchmaker, (al archer for example does not replace pushers unless required or requested). If it is not then it will need a $600 service.

the dial is not the nicest, and frankly if we are having conversations along the lines of is it re-lumed or not, then that has to raise flags.

Now all of these issues are price issues. Very often the answer is to buy a watch like this and find replacement hands, clean the case a little, and make it an ongoing, wearable restoration. This in itself can be one of the most pleasurable ways to own a speedmaster.

Some money talk, off the top of my head, without thinking too hard....(so there may be holes in my financial thoughts):

for me, with the issues, I would want to buy at $3000. If I spent $200 on hands, then 600 on service, we are up to 3800. On eBay I expect this watch would be bid to $3500 to 3800 depending if there were some over-snipers or not! That would net the seller about 3100-3400.

its not the best. It's not even an honest example. But it is an example and it's out there for sale.

Anyone can look at a watch and go, "oh, it's not up to condition"

it it takes a little skill and experience to say what a watch like this could be worth....and I don't always get it right!

good luck with it, let us know!

JohnSteed, davidswiss and TNTwatch like this.
  17. diggin5 Aug 21, 2014

I've seen this watch in person (at Sansom Watches) and know the watchmaker that serviced it. Both are top notch, especially the watchmaker's work. He is excellent, local, and specializes in Rolex and Omega intricate movements. I've had him work on some of my stuff. The watch is in nicer shape in person, the camera exaggerates the case scratches and the dial condition as usual. I wasn't a fan of the nylon strap he has with it, but that's an easy replacement. $3800 for a 321 movement on an original Speedy isn't bad today, just out of my price range so I didn't buy it. If you're going to wear it as an end user, or as a solid watch investment, this one is only going to go up in value it seems.