Forums Latest Members

Does Omega price increase impact used watches?

1. gyromiterob May 2, 2019

Maybe a dumb question, but looking for thoughts: With the May 1st price increase on Seamasters, will this trickle down to used Seamasters and make them more valuable?

2. SpeedyD May 2, 2019

Minimally i would expect. If anything it would help slow down the loss of value from new, especially if the watch is still under warrantee. But for regular non LE watches that are not going up and up, if the used watch goes up or maintains anything more than 1/4 of the price rise I’d be surprised. For more expensive watches where the increase exceeds the price of a service the situation might be a little different.

gyromiterob likes this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex May 2, 2019

In one word: No.

SCUCIVOLO and gyromiterob like this.
  4. Dohnut May 2, 2019

I’ve been keeping an eye on Watchfinder recently and prices were tracking at about £200/300 under pre rise list. They still are - suggesting they’ve adjusted their prices.

gyromiterob likes this.
  5. Matty1 May 2, 2019

I think there will be a lag for it to trickle down but the price rise was around 3-4% so hardly any extra value tbh.

gyromiterob likes this.
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 2, 2019

FIFY :whistling:

alam, Eve, gyromiterob and 1 other person like this.
  7. JFerraro819 May 2, 2019

I would say yes. most watches get cut in half when u go to sell. a higher entry price will lead the a lower resale hit. my guess is my seamster gained $250 in value

8. Eve May 2, 2019

I think most folks wont miss a chance to earn an extra buck.. A rise in retail price will always have an impact on 2nd hand market, especially on popular models. I am observing prices on the standard Moonwatch, and i must say they surely aint getting cheaper..

9. Evitzee May 2, 2019

It does in the long run. As new prices go up the used market will tick up as well. That's why you can't buy a Speedmaster from the early 70's at the price then in effect.....about $200 then, now about $1,200 with inflation.

10. speedyproftw May 2, 2019

Short term I would not expect to see much effect. I think the early Bond Seamaster 300Ms will eventually ramp up quite a bit in value, but I think that's still ~15 years from now.

nurseford25 likes this.
  11. jankymutt May 3, 2019

From the little bit of research I've done in my short time in this hobby it seems like the Bond seamasters don't hold as much of their value as speedmasters. I'm not sure if it's supply/demand factors (was the market flooded with bond seamasters) or is the alure of the "moonwatch" helping it retain more of it's value?

12. 77deluxe May 3, 2019

It’s gotta do something, but i don’t know if it’s drastic or even that noticeable.

13. Eve May 3, 2019

Probably because the "moon landing" is more interesting than a movie character jumping off helicopters :)
    To be honest i can not stand those Limited Edition Bond Seamasters with "007" Logo all over the display.. But i do find the standard Seamaster editions very appealing. Moreover i am glad they dont hold their value as much, so that i can still afford one, while the Speadmasters are so expensive that i can only dream about owning a nice vintage one.. ^^

boraxman likes this.
  14. tyrantlizardrex May 3, 2019

In one word: no

In four words: no it does not

FIFY.

15. jankymutt May 3, 2019

Haha, very good point. I jumped into this hobby with a 2018 Seamaster diver 300m last month and already bought a Speedmaster saphire sandwhich. I "need" a date and large second hand for my work watch, but LOVE the speedy dial, bezel, and history!

16. Eve May 3, 2019

I have a similar background like you! ;) My first omega watch was also a Seamaster Diver 300m. I think its an entry watch to Omega world for many people :)
    the same like you i am loving the date feature and the automatic movement of my current daily wearer (2254 Seamaster). Since i also wear it to bed, i love the legible lume as well..
    But this forum somehow infected me with the idea of owning a Speadmaster. Even though i know about all the disadvantages it has in comparison to my Seamaster, i guess i will never know for sure until i try.. Thats a dilemma that many face when signing up on OF.. probably it gets even worse once you purchased the first one :D

jankymutt likes this.