Forums Latest Members

Does my cal 2500c need service? Help me reading this chart

1. HV1D83R6 Aug 6, 2022

Hello

I have purchaced an Omega with cal 2500c. Its 12 years old and i dont know its service history.
    Chrono24 has tested it in some sort of machine and states its running fine. It has come up with this chart i cant read. Can someone help me out :)? Does it need service?

Its running + 2,5 sec pr 24 hours.

cheers

922CFE20-D827-42F2-B4D5-61B5C300B048.jpeg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 6, 2022

Its been regulated well it seems but the Amplitude looks low and beat rate isn't great so it might well need work. I wouldn't be happy with that result personally. That is irrelevant really. If it hasn't been serviced in 12 years, no bits of fancy paper can overcome the fact it needs one. I would ask them a more relevant question of when was it done last. I assume this is something you are looking to buy? Best to include the service cost in your budget unless you have recent service proof.

3. HV1D83R6 Aug 6, 2022

Thanks for the reply...
    I have just bought it knowing that it might need a service.. But i guess i could have been lucky that it had already had one recently.

What is a good ampitude number and what is a low/bad one?

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 6, 2022

I'm not a watchmaker and it may differ for coax stuff but in general numbers around 300º are good news. I see you have a few in the 240s which is low. Also your beat error isn't good. Ideally there should be zero and I see you have as much as 0.3ms. Again not a disaster but maybe suggestive of a movement not quite fully on its game.

5. SkunkPrince Aug 6, 2022

0.2ms beat error isn't necessarily as bad as my colleage @padders implies... but that it runs well on a timing machine doesn't mean squat. There is no substitute for having your watchmaker lay eyeballs on the movement using microscope.

I always assume that I don't know anything about a watch until my watchmaker personally inspects. I know it is perhaps hard to find a good watchmaker, but the good ones will inspect and not necessarily charge big money when you can and will form a relationshup with them.

I have an anecdote: I had a CK 2627 that was running fast into minutes a day, after service. I brought it back, they said "it's running right on the machine". I never went back, because if you tell your customer that a watch running minutes a day fast is fine? You're an idiot.

To summarize, find a recommended watchmaker and ask for a visual inspection, "is there any oil in the pivots?"

As @padders said, "[M]aybe suggestive of a movement not quite fully on its game." is good advice. You never know until an expert tells you so.

Don't ask us, find a watchmaker.

ChronoB likes this.
  6. Duckie Aug 6, 2022

I can't add anything to what SkunkPrince has offered.
    If it doubt, get the watch serviced by a reputable watchmaker.
    Where are you situated?
    Some pics would be nice:thumbsup:

Always keep in mind that a Timegrapher can indicate that a watch needs a service but it can't necessarily tell you that it does either.
    Only a close visual inspection by someone experienced can confirm;)

SkunkPrince likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 7, 2022

Can you prove that is for the watch by a serial number on the bottom of the paper ?
    Just saying….;)

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 7, 2022

If they were going to fake it, wouldn't it have been better to give a healthy result? ;)

9. HV1D83R6 Aug 7, 2022

I like to think that not everybody cheats

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 7, 2022

We all like to think that.

A Timegrapher output is not a service record, so to make sure, send your watch to a watchmaker and have it serviced. You'll probably receive another report but this time you will know that the service and the document are genuine.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 7, 2022

Readings from a timing machine are not sufficient to claim that a watch is okay. It would need a visual inspection under magnification by someone who knows what to look for to determine the need for servicing.

Generally if the watch has had a service, the seller would say so. In fact they often claim it’s been serviced when it hasn’t.

If you plan to have Omega service it, additional wear parts will not cost you more money, so as long as you don’t end up with a flooded watch, you can wear it until there’s a problem.

Duckie likes this.
  12. Gruesome Aug 10, 2022

Just to be a contrarian, none of the numbers seem to indicate a problem to me: horizontal (CH and CB) and vertical rates ('Gang') and amplitudes align well (no outlier position, and close enough -actually, the rates are very close- between horizontal and vertical), the absolute amplitude values do not seem too low to me, the average rate when worn is good, and 0.1 to 0.3 ms beat error ('repere') does not seem excessive to me either.

As Archer says, there is no downside in waiting until a problem develops.

13. Dan S Aug 10, 2022

The numbers look pretty solid, but that doesn't mean it has been serviced. And if there was any history of a service, you can bet that the seller would have mentioned it.

If you are the type of person who likes to have things well-maintained, you can pay for a service. If you're the type of person who likes to use things until they break, and then have them fixed, then you can do that.

14. HV1D83R6 Aug 10, 2022

Thanks to eveyone for posting.
    Have now talked with the local Omega dude and showed him the numbers.
    He says the watch is fine and i should leave it alone until it shows signs of weakness. The price of service will be the same no matter what, he says.
    Very nice and honest guy.

15. Duckie Aug 11, 2022

Excellent:thumbsup: