Forums Latest Members

Does anything look wrong with this watch?

1. jbtb077 Dec 12, 2022

Hey all! I'm looking into purchasing this watch. Judging from the pictures, everything seems fine, except for the crown (which I'm unsure of). I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this, though! I'm no expert, and it would be great to get others' opinions. Looks like the watch dates to the 1940s, but I'm not sure of any other details on it other than that.

Thanks all!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 12, 2022

You’re okay with the dial damage? It’s also a very small watch.

Syzygy and Fallout Boy like this.
  3. Dan S Dec 12, 2022

Portuguese watch? As noted above, it's a tiny watch and the dial is very rough. Other than that, it could be legit. I maybe would have expected to see hands that matched the color of the rivet markers, but I've seen combinations like this before, and overall that's the least of my concerns about the watch. When the condition is so rough, worrying about details like the hands and crown seems a bit pointless.

More generally, my thoughts are that the watch would have to be extremely inexpensive, like less than $100 USD, and even then I'd think twice about being willing to invest in servicing the watch.

Edited Dec 13, 2022
    DaveK and Syzygy like this.
  4. Syzygy Dec 12, 2022

Patience my friend, patience.

I’ve been there, we all have. My advice, hold off, stick around here, learn what to look for (search’how to fish’) and save your money for a nicer example, you’ll find one in due time. This one is pretty rough…that said, see my latest post on WRUW (a piece collectors would run from, but for some reason I dig it).

if you love it, buy it, but IMHO, you can do better for the same amount with a bit of patience and research.

bardamu, DaveK and Foo2rama like this.
  5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 13, 2022

Dial looks original (not refinished). Hands look correct. Crown is incorrect. As others have said, the small size and worn dial significantly lower the demand.

BlueHands and Tony C. like this.
  6. BlueHands Dec 13, 2022

My tiny example (28,5 mm) with same hands and in nicer condition.
    Copper.JPG

bardamu, bubba48 and DirtyDozen12 like this.