Forums Latest Members

Does anyone know more about the vintage brand Richard?

1. iamvr Nov 27, 2020

Hi OF members

It's been a week of the extremes for me. Yesterday I received my first vintage Constellation found here on OF. However, on the same day I closed the deal on the Connie, I also bought following watch on an auction site and paid CHF 87 (or approx. EUR 80).

It's a Richard (ref 91431) with a bumper movement. According to the seller, it's from 50ies.

1-2.jpeg

Of course it has some obvious flaws, but I like to the overall looks of it and it runs smoothly. What do I want more for that price.

I'm more interested in the history of that brand. I tried googling it but you always get referred to Richard Mille. Some tie it to the brand JeanRichard, which belongs to the Girard-Perregaux group, based in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.

Does anyone know more?

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks!

rbob99 and janice&fred like this.
  2. Canuck Nov 27, 2020

Mikrolisk shows the Richard name was used by many firms. There were millions more names found on watch dials than there were actual watch manufacturers. Many indistinguishable watches were assembled from off the shelf components, then names were applied that were likely only meaningful to the seller. The bumper automatic and the rose coloured dial could mean it is a watch from the 1940s.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280#sucheMarker

sheepdoll, felsby and janice&fred like this.
  3. iamvr Nov 27, 2020

Many thanks, @Canuck, for the link to that database. Comparing the logo design I found a match with Richard SA, established in Morges. Based on mikrolisk in 1943, according to the Swiss trade register in 1941. And it was apparently taken over by Longines in 1978. I like the story.

4. janice&fred Nov 27, 2020

It reminds me of the Daniel Jean Richard watches of old.

All I see is a super watch at a bargain price! :D

felsby likes this.
  5. iamvr Nov 27, 2020

I agree, it levels down the average purchase price for the week quite a bit :D

janice&fred likes this.
  6. janice&fred Nov 27, 2020

Oh I hear ya. Every time I buy a bunch of watches in a package deal because I want to keep the high end one, I end up getting more excited about an interesting cheaper one in the bunch!

iamvr likes this.
  7. magicolo Mon. 8:48am

Hello. I’m from here specifically now to know this specific ref code or model for this watch in addiction to the maker, like chronograph or Swiss made or kind stuff. Can someone help simply to give here can easily buy or know an specific link of this beautiful 1950s model? IMG_3305.png

8. LesXL Mon. 1:29pm

@iamvr any advice/help you can give?

magicolo likes this.
  9. iamvr Mon. 2:22pm

Well, first and foremost, don't buy the watch :)

Regardless of the brand and its history, the condition of this watch is just very poor with water damage to the dial, polished case, probably wrong hands.

As for the brand, of you check the link shared about, yes, Richard is a Swiss brand. Richard SA, based in Morges, Switzerland, was acquired by Longines in 1978.

Regarding the movement, I guess it's a Valjoux 77 as in this similar example in 18k that I just found with a simple Google search.

s-l1600-21.jpg s-l1600-22.jpg
    https://www.ebay.ch/itm/115748566592Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

ketiljo, LesXL and magicolo like this.
  10. magicolo Mon. 6:50pm

I can’t give more details that just because I try to find the model, above all to because it is really hard specifically, but I believe for @iamvr this model is specially from 1950s and it’s an incabloc watch but I hope can easier try to make a special deal from apart, can give more information and of course have some simple advices for how can I find this specific, sorry, to say in jewelry what kind of model I hope to say and finally the reference code to this maker. But in other words, I’m ask my self so only just you give me more details specifically from this model to simply search in Google and find some more results available. But i so only say, because it’s mine perspective to see clearly this things…

11. magicolo Mon. 7:02pm

@iamvr if you have some photos specially in backside of this watch I agree.

12. iamvr Tues. 2:10am

It's not my watch and not my listing, so I don't have any other pictures. Why don't you ask the seller of the watch you're interested in to open the case back and send you pictures.

magicolo and LesXL like this.
  13. magicolo Tues. 4:00am

Where? In the seller of eBay it you send or any jewelry specially in Switzerland?

Where is the best option to see the pictures of the watch I sent to see in more details when I was talk ing (model like 79348, ref code like you post at top in this topic) and more references?

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Tues. 3:45pm

These are somewhat generic watches.

Here is a very similar piece using the Valjoux cal 77.

IMG_3053.jpg IMG_3049.jpg IMG_3051.jpg

magicolo and sheepdoll like this.
  15. magicolo Wed. 5:51pm

I like. Do you know this model (like 5 numbers
    77xxx i believe) you sent and mine i demonstrate?

I’m try to find, even if it's on some website they know to find out the model and reference number or even to buy... I’m confess I’m just trying to find where to buy only to know about this watch it really very interesting as to see.

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Wed. 9:18pm

The Valjoux cal 77 movement was used by many, many (probably dozens) of makers.

Try search using "Valjoux 77".

magicolo likes this.
  17. magicolo 9:14am yesterday

IMG_3403.jpeg
    I refer in one model I found similar (I put here), but it isn’t the same brand, it’s a Venus 170 Chronographe Suisse. As the name it isn’t Swiss made, but the numbers, as it can see are the same.
    I see the point, it isn’t but is actually like similar.
    I don’t already say, but i found this watch (Richard) in auction in catawiki selled by Erwin Dekker, but it sold by 250€ in my currency.

My question is: How can I really possible find that? Can I really find it in a watch shop? Is it worth it, if at all?