Forums Latest Members

Does anyone collect art? What is hanging on your wall?

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 22, 2020

I have a big carving of a rhinocero that weighs a ton bought when playing rugby somewhere :whistling: many years ago. ( have the horn but always tell guests poaches cut the tip off )
    67D975B6-3196-4F26-9DAE-52AC87CACDAD.jpeg

ahartfie and pdxleaf like this.
  2. rpludwig Jul 22, 2020

Vermeer's became an obsession for us after traveling Europe and viewing his works, although originals are a bit out of our budget! Quality prints, dry mounted and nicely framed works for us. girl w/Pearl earing, astronomer, mikmaid, geographer, the artist and a couple more hang around the house, mixed in with some sailing art.

3. ViperStripes Jul 23, 2020

I like Paul Oz and have his Original Terminator piece (4ft square) and a Lewis Hamilton print.

The originals and "embellished" prints really have to be seen in the flesh to get the thickness and depth of paint.

https://www.artmarket.co.uk/artist/paul-oz

Terminator.jpg paul-oz-still-i-rise-6-pozx0045-R.jpg
    RCINPHILL, Dan S, Wryfox and 3 others like this.
  4. wsfarrell Jul 23, 2020

In addition to Eyvind Earle, I also collect a little Jim Buckels--another artist in the "magical realism" school.

buckels2.jpg

buckels1.jpg

5. barmy Jul 25, 2020

Not on a wall, but, in a curio cabinet. Inuit carvings. Many ivory, but, some soapstone or bone.

IMG_5032.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

When in the arctic visiting. We asked a local carver to create something for us and this is what he came up with

IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5037.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

6. Wryfox Jul 25, 2020

We have 150 pieces of art, spanning 500yrs of history. Love every bit but believe it or not this is my absolute favorite. We made a donation to the animal rescue league on the island of Bonaire. They painted this for us.....

1595712398990357023258395301508.jpg
    RCINPHILL, Dan S, rcs914 and 3 others like this.
  7. CaptainWinsor Jul 25, 2020

Reminds me of the works of Leon Dolice from New York in the 30s

8. JPE.88305 Jul 26, 2020

RCINPHILL, Olaa, George.A and 4 others like this.
  9. JPE.88305 Jul 26, 2020

Some fun prints for the toy room
    image.jpg image.jpg

YYTIN, RCINPHILL, ahartfie and 7 others like this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 26, 2020

11. Nono01 Jul 26, 2020

Does this count? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 26, 2020

Are these pictures yours? They’re terrific!

Nono01 likes this.
  13. Nono01 Jul 27, 2020

yup, all of them. Thank you very much :)

ahartfie, Nobel Prize and Baz9614 like this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 27, 2020

Well, to answer your question; it does count.

15. Japanred Jul 27, 2020

I’ve enjoyed reading this thread. I’ve never actually had a dedicated home office but we are having an extension built soon so for the first time I will have my own space that can be filled with things I like. I’m thinking that there will be lots of models, ranging from my favourite cars to those little Fallout Bobbleheads. A few pictures on the walls etc etc. I’ve not really given it much thought yet but this thread has really inspired me.

16. rcs914 Jul 27, 2020

This is my favorite Kelly Freas illustration:

[​IMG]

PauloSummer likes this.
  17. rcs914 Jul 27, 2020

So for myself - we don't have any real "art" hanging on our walls. My tastes and my wife's tastes don't mesh particularly that way. I do have two pieces that I like hanging in my garage. One was painted by my grandfather in 1961 when he was stationed in Brazil - I always liked it more for its Polynesian feel (I'm a huge fan of Polynesian Pop/Tiki). The other is a parrot that my mom had hanging on her wall. I think it came from a garage sale, but it was well done and I always liked it.

IMG_20200727_121333.jpg IMG_20200727_121352.jpg

This last piece is one I picked up for $10 at one point, and I thought it was pretty neat - it's an original page from "The Illustrated London News"- April 11th, 1857. Available for sale or trade should anyone want it! Whoever originally purchased it got it at The Map House in London, and paid 40 Pounds for it, in 1985.

And because I've never done it, I pulled it out of the plastic I took as best of a picture I could of the printing on the back of it.

IMG_20200727_121628.jpg IMG_20200727_121937_1.jpg IMG_20200727_122024.jpg

18. jsducote Jul 27, 2020

I've stopped by the Map House on each of my trips to London over the years. 40 GBP in 1985 GBPs for that print is a bit much. Recommend Altea Gallery or Bryers & Bryers for old maps & prints if you decide you want to make a set out of it.

19. rcs914 Jul 27, 2020

I have to say for being newsprint, whatever they used was some pretty amazing quality paper, and the print quality is fantastic. I mean it's 150 years old and isn't faded.

20. Walrus Jul 29, 2020

This is another picture I have up. Tag sale find I think it was a whopping three bucks, might have been two-fiddy I don’t recall. The old scene just caught my eye and everything you bought the money was going to a charitable cause so we picked up some items to support them.

anyway cool idea for a thread and it’s interesting to see people who have acquired “real art”. I bought some pieces off an art student when I was visiting China and a couple years later he became a bit popular in China. I have those put away I’m going to give them to my wife’s family in China. Funny they laughed at me when I bought his art on the street and then called me two years later to say the guy made good. Not Banksy good but I guess good enough where my wife’s family could hang or make a few bob notes.

My state is pretty crappy, taxes and energy prices along with ridiculous regulation etc ran out a lot of businesses so we aren’t known for museums etc but we have a couple that have a Van Gogh and will get Monet etc on loan. I make a point (pre virus) to visit a couple times a year and sometimes you will find that painting you can sit in front of for hours. I kind of get lost in them. I’ve been to several exhibits in NYC, Toronto, Beijing and Shanghai and it is amazing taking in the works of art. One of my wife’s friend is a very talented artists, we were looking at some sculptures and I asked her how, as an artist herself, does she think a dude (or dudette) can create such perfection from a block of marble. To give a little background she grew up in China and is a devout atheists as her parents taught her all religion is bad supreme power rests in the party Her reply was “it must be some greater universal power how could man alone create something like David etc” interesting answer from an atheists. I was listening to the Beatles on the way home today and I realize I got lost in the song. It was just so good it wiped away all the BS I had running through my mind.

sorry I know this is a too long didn't read post but many times I’ve heard interviews with musicians, writers, painters etc and often they will say they can’t explain where their best stuff comes from. It’s a craft, they say they can always sit down and write a song to fill a contract but the best stuff just flows through them.

perhaps when we take our last breathes, it won’t be an omega or seiko we think of but a certain song, piece of art or line from a book or a scene from a film that moved us. I like watches and what not but they don’t allow me to transcend the BS in my head, it’s usually art, music, books or a movie like gone with the wind (along with meditation) that allow me to do that. Ok enough now, I’m writing a book here, I gotta see if anyone is talking about real shit like that hot hodinkee travel clock.

image.jpg