Forums Latest Members

Does A Vintage Watch Need Service If It Keeps Good Time?

1. mementomori1983 Jun 17, 2013

So I got around to timing my Cal 565 Geneve Admiralty by leaving it at my desk for 40 hours, and it timed at +1 second for that timeframe. The service history of the watch is unknown.

When my watchmaker opened the watch past Saturday, he stated that the watch should be serviced as the "insides look sticky" (not really sure what he meant). But if that's the case, wouldn't the watch be running slow?

My question is, is service warranted for a vintage watch if it is keeping good time? I'm a relative newbie to this so I'd appreciate some second opinions. :)

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 17, 2013

Do you only change the oil in your car when the engine starts knocking?
    If you value the timepiece, think of servicing it as an investment or as a sign of respect for the craftsmanship.
    If it's going to be used, treat it like you would a good woman...........service it regularly !!

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 17, 2013

If you hang around here long enough, you'll see it repeated all the time...always have a watch serviced. Remember that when the "regulars" here see your new purchase, we have no way of knowing (like you) when it was last serviced. Just because a movement looks clean doesn't mean that it is in perfect condition.

For my part, I can tell you that I've not had every watch I've ever purchased immediately serviced. But I don't wear my watches every day. At most they get one to two days a month of wear. Some much less than that. However, all have at least been inspected by a watchmaker at to the condition of the movement and whether it is safe to run on an occasional basis. I observe the timekeeping using an atomic clock app when I wear watches that haven't been serviced. When I notice a significant change or inconsistency in timekeeping, then off it goes.

You've had the movement inspected by a qualified watchmaker and he's given you his verdict. Now it's up to you whether to follow his advice or not.
    gatorcpa

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2013

If it hasn't been serviced recently I'd get it taken care of, watches can be adjusted to keep good time even if the movement is in fairly scummy shape, having it cleaned and oiled protects it for years to come, and on vintage pieces that's what's important.

On modern watches some say don't service until it needs it, but on vintage, if you're wearing it frequently, it needs to be serviced on a regular basis

5. mementomori1983 Jun 17, 2013

Thanks guys. I think part of the issue is that I don't quite fully trust my watchmaker yet. This was the same watchmaker who took 3 tries to fix a jittery sweep second hand on a Cal 550 I once owned. He also told me that the second hand for my Admiralty does not exist, which is why I had to order it through Archer's help. So when he tells me that I need to service my watch for $300+ parts, and I go home and time the watch at +1 over 40 hours, my immediate reaction is doubt.

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 17, 2013

Now we are getting to the roots of the problem.
    Dr. Freud would question your service inquiry and ask if you were not, in fact, voicing a reluctance to expose yourself to your watchmaker !!
    Much of what this forum is about centers around having to expose yourself to strangers and those who wish to do evil.
    Search for peace with your choice of watchmakers and all will be well.

7. mementomori1983 Jun 17, 2013

I see my inquiry as not being different from someone going to multiple doctors for 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions on a condition. But I thank you for your analysis of my psyche! Not many places where one can get psychology and horology advice at the same time. :D

stretch8090 likes this.
  8. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jun 17, 2013

Hmmmm... sticky your movement is
    Service it you must

[​IMG]

sarir97 likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 17, 2013

We do Proctology also, through ebay transactions.

stretch8090, Eric_navi and Spacefruit like this.
  10. ulackfocus Jun 17, 2013

Speak for yourself. :eek:

The movement could have gummed up / dried up oil and a layman wouldn't know, and a mainspring might be powerful enough to drive the gear train despite the poor lubrication.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 18, 2013

Timekeeping is not a reliable indicator of the need for service. I have opened up watches that kept time very well when I checked them on my timing machine, only to find a mess inside.

I'm not sure what your watchmaker means when he said the movement looked "sticky" but if you don't trust him, find someone you do trust.

As an aside, I always chuckle when people think watchmakers are trying to get business from them. While I'm sure there are some cases where this is true, most watchmakers I know are so busy they certainly don't need to lie to people to get enough work. If you are good at what you do, you will be so swamped you won't need to lie to keep busy!

Cheers, Al

Awetaylor, Als 27, sarir97 and 2 others like this.
  12. mementomori1983 Jun 20, 2013

This is exactly the answer that I needed. Thanks Al.

13. John R Smith Jun 21, 2013

Having said all of that, $300 seems an awful lot for a service. Here in the UK one could expect to get it done for $150 if it is just a clean and lubrication.

14. Hijak Jun 21, 2013

I had a guy here in Chicago try to charge me $950.00 for a service and some minor repairs (replacing auto gear, set bridge and timing washers)

He told me his normal fee for service was $450 on manual wind and $800 for automatics...

15. ulackfocus Jun 21, 2013

In what currency? :eek:

16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 21, 2013

My rule of buying is that if the seller says it has been serviced; it hasn't been unless there is an invoice to prove it. Now I know that shoots me in the foot with most of my watches (because I service most of them myself) but there again, I don't sell them because I like collecting watch storage boxes.

Since one of my two trusted watchmakers butchered a NOS 1960s Zenith - allegedly a temporary replacement whilst the regular watchmaker was on holiday - I am down to one and he is reputed to be the best independent in the UK (with a backlog to match his reputation) I guess what I am saying is that for £150 you could get a good service or a wreck. Personally, I'd rather pay £200 - 250 and get a guaranteed result.

17. Hijak Jun 21, 2013

US dollars...This is why I'm going to talk to Archer (Al)