Do you sell your vintage Omega with (or separate from) it’s correct Bracelet and End Links??

Just my opinion. But if someone's "On a budget", buying vintage watches might not be for them...

Spoken like someone who sells top of the line vintage watches for top of the line prices.😀

Just my opinion. But if someone's "On a budget", buying vintage watches might not be for them...

Are you on this planet?

So if I set myself a 30k budget for watches this year and decide I'd rather buy 3 heads only, rather than 2 heads + bracelets, then I'm being fiscally irresponsible and should consider a different hobby?

Spoken like someone who sells top of the line vintage watches for top of the line prices.😀

That's correct. Quality always comes with a premium.

I've sold watches where people don't want to pay the ask, and we've done a deal based on a reduction and me keeping the bracelet.

Don't really see the problem... bracelets and straps are ultimately consumables. 😉

Are you on this planet?

So if I set myself a 30k budget for watches this year and decide I'd rather buy 3 heads only, rather than 2 heads + bracelets, then I'm being fiscally irresponsible and should consider a different hobby?

I would always prefer to have the complete package. And I would pay more for a complete/correct head + period bracelet. Always pays off in the long run. But that's just me.

I was just reading @jordn 105.003 private sale thread and he has a dilemma.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/14-000-usd-omega-ed-white-speedmaster-105-003-65-serviced.73771/

Whether, in order to complete his sale, he breakup his fine 105.003-65 from the correct 1035/506 (1968) bracelet. I’ve thought about this issue as well and I’ll throw it out to the multitude.

To me, unless the watch and bracelet are CONFIMED original issue, I can certainly understand why breaking up these items can be preferable. Many vintage bracelets and end links are needed by collectors. Many watch buyers prefer straps or already own a useful bracelet to use with a new purchase. Perhaps a wouldbe buyer only has the funds today for the watch head only.

From a seller’s standpoint, breaking up the combo can lead to both an easier sale and for a higher combined price.

I can hear the grumbling out there in OF land. Why not just breakup the watch into parts as some only need the bezel or dial. I believe the bracelet is different. I personally don’t consider the bracelet and/or end links (especially if they have been sourced separately by me) to be an distinct part of the watch.

Opinions??
I'll illustrate with pics: I only have 2 speedies which came (on what I believe to be) their original bracelets. The racing is on its original 1039 for sure.
Well, on the latter it would not make financial or collector sense to split watch and bracelet (same goes for the perfect DON). On this 145.012-68 it would be a shame to split them as well, but if I had to sell I'd consider it (only 99% sure the bracelet is original plus the value of the package is more closely related to the bracelet). Here's my real life answer @gemini4

I would always prefer to have the complete package. And I would pay more for a complete/correct head + period bracelet. Always pays off in the long run. But that's just me.

Fine.

But what I want to know is, am I ok to carry on collecting vintage watches or as I don't have unlimited funds (and therefore have a budget), do I need to stop immediately?

Fine.

But what I want to know is, am I ok to carry on collecting vintage watches or as I don't have unlimited funds (and therefore have a budget), do I need to stop immediately?
*insert inevitable "you need to give me your watches" joke here*

But really, I agree with David. Silly to bring up budgets in this conversation (remember #ThreadDrift). It is important to realize that many people have different budgets and make decisions based on that budget. Simple.

Fine.

I don't know. Send me a copy of your tax returns and I will evaluate.. 😀

I don't know. Send me a copy of your tax returns and I will evaluate.. 😀

That's what HMRC keep saying.

That's what HMRC keep saying.
But on a serious note, if you can spend 30K on watches, then you certainly can afford the bracelet = only makes sense (to me at least) to go a head and buy the bracelets as well as they appreciate in value just as fast (if not faster) than the actual watch head. So no real reason leaving them out of the deal. Again, in the long run it always pays off.

Since bracelets were often (but not always) dealer options, I see no reason why they can't be sold separately. In the rare case that it's a confirmed fact that the bracelet is original to the watch, then they should stay together.

..... and you should make the buyer sign a waiver, in blood, that they will NEVER EVER break up the pair.

Since bracelets were often (but not always) dealer options, I see no reason why they can't be sold separately. In the rare case that it's a confirmed fact that the bracelet is original to the watch, then they should stay together.

..... and you should make the buyer sign a waiver, in blood, that they will NEVER EVER break up the pair.
Weren't all Speedmasters sold on bracelets? Aren't you a Master of Speed, Dennis?

I think the OP question is more about a seller and whether the seller would split the pieces, not about whether buyers can afford the asking price though.

Weren't all Speedmasters sold on bracelets?

You're asking the wrong person that question, but I suspect you know that. 😉

Aren't you a Master of Speed, Dennis?

Only when I'm late for work and give each of the 4 gerbils under the Toyota hood a double shot of espresso.

But on a serious note, if you can spend 30K on watches, then you certainly can afford the bracelet = only makes sense (to me at least) to go a head and buy the bracelets as well as they appreciate in value just as fast (if not faster) than the actual watch head. So no real reason leaving them out of the deal. Again, in the long run it always pays off.

But I'm not looking for it to pay off in the long run.
I don't care about it paying off at all (although I'd rather they didn't drop to the point where they're worth pennies on the pound).
I buy watches to wear, so if I can buy three watches and rotate straps/bracelets rather than two watches I may do that.

I'm kind of playing devils advocate here as I don't think I've ever actually asked someone to sell me a watch head only when the bracelet was available. The point is, I don't agree that if you can afford the watch head, the cost of the braceket is inconsequential.

Leaving the somewhat touchy subject of budgets and fiscal responsibility aside for a moment, I am of the opinion that you sell it whichever way makes you the most money.

As a novice collector of what some of you would definitely consider entry-level vintage pieces at best (let’s say 1970s non-Speedmaster Omega sportswatches), I highly prefer buying with original bracelet. Granted, the issue is not as salient as with popular vintage Speedies because of the far lower prices involved.

Still, whenever I sell a watch, I’m emotionally done with it and just want to make the most possible money to bankroll a new purchase. If that means splitting it up, so be it. Heck, I’d part the whole thing out if it were worth my time. Putting it the other way around: if I’d have issues splitting it up, then apparently I’m not done with the watch in question yet.

In practice, I typically advertise a reasonable head-only price and a price with bracelet - which is the head-only price plus whatever I could realistically get for the bracelet separately. People tend to buy them with bracelets more often, again likely because of substantially lower value. Still, no package deals and the customer decides. Don’t see why that wouldn’t work the same for five figure (or high four figure) pieces.
Edited:

I know of OF members who have acquired, over the years, all correct 2915 and 2998 examples with proper brackets/end links but will only wear their watch on a leather strap. The bracelets remain unused in storage, gathering dust for years. If and when the watch moves on to the next owner, the bracelet will be available for the next wearer.