Forums Latest Members

Do you ever buy watches with non stainless /chromed cases? Nice looking chronograph

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 2, 2016

So I understand stainless steel cases are more desirable.
    However sometimes a watch comes along which does seem very appealing despite a chromed case.
    So what do you do then?

And what do you think of this one? I've been wanting an "orange" dial chronograph for a while, but I thought it could be a redial as some numbers look inconsistent (also I'm not in a purchasing phase).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-VINTAGE-WATCH-ANGELUS-CRONOGRAPH-NICE-PATINA-/262404499108?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&nma=true&si=wj7q9dqkZ77j%2FxMR0yOsthtD%2BaU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'm curious, however, about the general matter:
    would you buy a chromed case watch if you liked it and the price was right?

Thanks and best regards,
    S

Northernman, trackpad and RawArcher like this.
  2. Hijak May 2, 2016

Prefer S.S. cased watch but with right watch have no problem with it!:thumbsup:
    Love my late 40s Certina...can't get enough of this dial.::love::
    Wrist Shot, 4.JPG

NT931, Alpha, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! May 2, 2016

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 2, 2016

Looks original and that's a nice dial. ::love::

Syrte likes this.
  5. littlesheep81 May 2, 2016

Yup, couldn't resist this one. Nickel chrome case.

image.jpeg
    Syrte likes this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 3, 2016

I agree with others – while SS is clearly far preferable, chrome cases in good enough condition with really nice dials are fair game.

Chrome cases that already show wear, however, are not attractive to my eye.

Syrte likes this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 3, 2016

That Angelus dial looks original to, and has an attractive patina for sure.

Personally, I don't prefer chromed cases, unless they are in top condition, and then I worry about a chip.

This Zodiac was one I sold a while back, best one of these I'd ever seen even to this day, but no regrets for me.

image.jpg2_zpsfj7sngxd.JPG

8. trackpad May 3, 2016

$_57.JPG
    Gold plated. Same issues with value, collectability and durability that keep a lot of people away.

I picked this up a few months ago on eBay after falling in love with the dial. Funny enough it's received more interest and compliments on the wrist than any other watch I've ever worn.

This morning in fact I was dropping off a watch for service at Omega's flagship here in Dubai, and even though I wasn't wearing it the clerk remembered me precisely because of this watch which he noticed and inquired about a few weeks ago. He came over to get more details this time, and wrote down the name so he could try and track one down.

So to answer your question...at something like $220, what a fantastic investment! Mostly because I really love it. But also because if anything ever happens to it I won't feel incredibly sad. Well...not for the financial loss anyway. I will be sad. I really dig this watch!

I'm personally not spending anything close to $1000 on anything non-stainless or plated – but in the $150 to $500 absolutely. So many interesting designs and beautifully evolved patinas.

For me, affordable little watches like this re-ignite the purest aspects of being a watch lover – where I truly cast aside obsessive sleuthing around reference correctness, anxiety about provenance, price, potential for appreciation, long-term care or service history – and just ENJOY. A perfectly uncomplicated proposition.

ahartfie and Syrte like this.
  9. peatnick May 3, 2016

Mine says hi, believe the case was re-chromed prior to my ownership, but it looks good :)

[​IMG]

Hijak and trackpad like this.
  10. Hijak May 3, 2016

Looks great Nick!:thumbsup:

11. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! May 3, 2016

What does this mean? ::confused2::

Post farming?

post farming.JPG

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 3, 2016

These two Sea Wolfs of mine are chrome-plated, somewhat worn, too; and yes, less would be better...

But I love the dials.

Chrome was sorta 'in vogue' back then (at least, in moderate and lesser-priced watches), so I rationalize that it adds to 'vintage character'...;)

Photo Aug 17, 8 25 47 PM.jpg

GregH, DirtyDozen12 and Syrte like this.
  13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 3, 2016

Sure looks like it. Good catch!

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  14. Perseus May 3, 2016

If it was the right watch I'd be able to live with it.

15. abrod520 May 3, 2016

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  16. Northernman Lemaniac May 3, 2016

Never let a chrome case come between myself and a cool watch. ;)
    The Angelus in the OP looks correct. With a patina like that I think it's safe to say it has seen its fair share of nicotine smoke..... A proper @kyle L dial......

Hijak, dougiedude and Syrte like this.