Forums Latest Members

Do we need a min. Post count before creating a thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 24, 2016

I'm sick of those "just found this watch in a drawer, tell me how much is worth" (the ones with out hello and thank you...)

Verbatim copy of an entire 1st post:

Where I can get an appraisal for a Omega Watch ?

Your thoughts on e.g. needing at least 10/20/25 posts before earning the "create new thread" privilege?

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2016

Not going to happen. Over kill.

3. cvrle1 Sep 24, 2016

While I am really new to OF, I dont think your idea works in general. If number of needed posts is low, like you said 10-20, it opens up a can of worms where people will on purpose post junk replies to every message they can, so that they can get to that magic number. If number is high (like 200) that kills the forum, as no new members come, as they cant post an ask questions.

Now, in regards to manners and please and thank you, that I agree on. When I do post a thread where I ask for help, I do try to show that I did some research, I post what I think and do say please and ty. That to me is basis of civilized communication. I am not going to go up to someone on the street and just start talking, I will say hi first and thank them for help if any was given. Unfortunately, as mentioned before by many others, this is lost on people these days.

Dmaskeze and Traveler like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 24, 2016

@al128 You would only get 10 useless posts before the one thread that annoys you.

Have a 10 post rule on a fishing forum I am on and I doesn't work

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 24, 2016

How about a twist. Anyone who signs up has to send me a watch before they can start threads. I will determine, based on the quality of the watch and in my own absolute judgement, whether said new joiner is allowed to post or not.

Would that work?

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 24, 2016

Yeah everyone send your fake and uncle watches to @oddboy :thumbsup:

7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 24, 2016

It won't work unless the watches come to me.

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 24, 2016

I got a guy, goes by the handle 3v3rcl3ar. He can pretty them up then we sell on ebay. For profit.

9. ulackfocus Sep 24, 2016

Just like life, some things on the internet suck. The difference is you can choose to ignore the sucky stuff on the internet..... unless you're a moderator, then you have to slog through it without telling the offending thread starters to ____________ (fill in your favorite pejorative phrase).

noelekal likes this.
  10. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 24, 2016

Isn't that part of a forum SW?

Or would swift Australian hands have to do the mechanical work?

11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 24, 2016

Don't worry, I did that earlier for you ... :D

Sorry for the unsolicited co-moderation but I wanted to be really mean and grumpy for once in my life ...:whistling::whistling::whistling:

ulackfocus likes this.
  12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 24, 2016

Make it a 10 post/10 days rule ... Whatever comes last... :whistling:

13. ulackfocus Sep 24, 2016

..... and you have a nice memento of the occasion now. :cool:

kingsrider, Spacefruit and al128 like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2016

Making it harder for new members isn't something we're ever going to be in favour of, the only reason the 200 post rule is there is due to fraud risk

15. Dr. Arnaud Sep 24, 2016

To be honest, if your plan is to fraud, I don't think that the 200 post limit would be a problem for a motivated person.

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2016

When I say not going to happen, I mean NO.
    Just like Ashley said, it is not something we wish to do.
    Falls under the "This is not a democracy" Category. So, sorry proposal rejected.

SmokyT and Archer like this.
  17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 25, 2016

The less rules the better

W@nkers are usually easy to spot, and what many people don't seem to realize, no one is forcing you to read a particular thread, and especially not to reply to it.

Personally I try not to reply to a thread when tired, drunk, jet lagged or pissed off. I have learned to repeat to myself, what are you adding to this debate that will make everyone feel better?

So if there is a nonsense thread - don't reply.

18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 25, 2016

Hey and it took me less than 24hrs to figure it out... ;)

19. Lapanouse Sep 27, 2016

You could detain and "pat down" new members. Especially if they Look different from you.

kingsrider likes this.
  20. jimmyd13 Sep 27, 2016

I'm a newbie here (Hi all!) and I do see that I can't comment on certain threads as it is because of insufficient privileges. I am, however, active on a number of other forums all of which endure the same "need help/advice/valuation" posts. When I have a little spare time I am more than happy to answer those posts where my experience allows or spend a coffee break researching a piece that I've not seen before.

If you decide to create restrictions on initial posts you may well find that you'll turn away prospective members who have something to add and the result will be a smaller, insular, community as existing members drift away and are not replaced with new blood. For myself, if there had been numerous restrictions on posts when I joined, I would simply have moved along to another forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.