Forums Latest Members

Do Speedmaster collectors also collect autographs?

1. pdxleaf ... May 3, 2020

Speedmasters are interesting watches aside from their space heritage. The NASA connection adds an undeniable allure. That connection may inspire a space collector to become a watch collector. It may also inspire a watch collector to become a space collector.

Are there OF members who also collect astronaut autographs or other space memorabilia?

I inherited my first Omega from my God-father, great-uncle. It was his retirement gift. That started the special connection for me with Omega.

Later in life I became interested in Hamilton watches. My mother received a Hamilton for her high school graduation. I started collecting Hamiltons seriously before I became interested in Speedmasters.

I was 12 when Apollo 11 landed. My father was in Vietnam so my world consisted of Vietnam and Apollo. Right before the landing, my mother announced that we were getting a color TV to watch the landing. That was a huge purchase for our family.

I didn't join the Speedmaster craze until recently. Like many others of my generation, the 50th anniversary brought back alot of memories. I dug out my old scrapbook where I cut out every news article on Apollo 11, from Newsweek, Time, Look magazine.

The anniversary made me more astonished with what they actually accomplished. Still today I am continuing to be amazed at the bravery, nerve and intelligence they displayed. With a desire to learn more I started watching youtube, which led to watches used in space.

Long story shorter, I purchased Astronaut autographs before any Speedmaster. My first vintage watch was a Sekonda with an engraving to a Russian major from his comrades. It is still a treasured watch.

I now own a new 1861 hesalite speedy and just purchased a beautiful 145.012 from my AD's private collection.

I have have focused my watch purchases on space watches.

Are others interested in autographs also? Are watches more interesting, or is there an equal interest between Speedmasters and other space memorabilia? Or are you not interested in autographs at all but only interested in the watch?

2. TLIGuy May 3, 2020

My apologies to anyone tired of seeing this.

I have an interest it the connection between watches, spaceflight, and use autographs to document historic manned spaceflight events. I collect space flown items as well.

Speedmaster Collection here.

HiRiz Panel Revised 25 March.jpg

3. 8100_RPM May 3, 2020

I've actually been looking into getting autographs of the men of who have walked on the Moon. Sadly, only four of the twelve men are still alive.

4. pdxleaf ... May 3, 2020

H-O-L-Y C-R-A-P! That is spectacular. Smithsonian is calling.

Hard to absorb it all.

5. pIoNeErOfThEnILe May 3, 2020

[​IMG]

Scooterino36, murph and Mad Dog like this.
  6. AdamS May 3, 2020

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 3, 2020

I charge $200 an autograph but I only sign -74 and -76 casebacks.

8. TLIGuy May 4, 2020

9. pdxleaf ... Nov 5, 2022

This just arrived today. Fliteline medallion (with case) flown on Gemini IV.

Pretty, pretty cool. I love our watches, but this is a different level.

20221105_153635.jpg 20221105_153422.jpg 20221105_153532.jpg 20221105_153708.jpg