Forums Latest Members

Do New manual Wind Watches Have A Break In Period?

1. aesguerra Feb 11, 2017

This likely qualifies as the "dumbest question of 2017 to date", but given that my FOIS is my first NIB Omega, I'd rather as a stupid question that just look stupid because I didn't ask and the watch went kaput.

This question comes after three winds-to-the-stop, something I typically do just before going to bed. I always marveled at how buttery smooth the winding was on my bought-used 3366.51 when compared to my Sturmanskie Gagarin. No give when I turned the crown and what I thought was a good amount of resistance as I wound it.

Now for the FOIS, I'm not saying it's hard to wind - it's still an easy enough affair to wind her up. It's just noticeably stiffer.

I'm assuming it's the norm and that extra resistance will melt away once the main spring has worn in, but if any of the experienced hands here think otherwise, by all means please chime in.

Thanks,

Alex
    San Mateo, CA

Edited Feb 11, 2017
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 11, 2017

It was tough to wind my TinTin for a couple of months, but it's noticeable smoother/ easier now. I suspect it has to do with gaskets/ seals in the stem.

Jwit and Foo2rama like this.
  3. aesguerra Feb 11, 2017

Much appreciated. I figured as much, but better safe than sorry.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 11, 2017

Yes - not related to the mainspring, but the seal in the crown breaking in.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. aesguerra Feb 11, 2017

And that's why YOU are the Omega Qualified Watchmaker here. :cool: Thanks

Edited Feb 11, 2017