Do I have a sick watch?

Greetings fellow forum members. I have a Seamaster Pro midsize 2551.80 which has been behaving a bit strangely of late and I was just wondering if anyone out there can suggest possible causes. Please forgive me if this post is a bit long winded but I feel that some background info is needed.

My watch had been serviced by Omega about 2 years ago and been running pretty consistently at about +4 seconds a day on the wrist, resting dial up overnight. About 2 months ago, I went overseas to Singapore for the first time in three years. I was going from a southern Australian winter to the tropics. On my first morning there, I hacked the watch and synchronised it with the local network time. To my great surprise, after the first two days it had gained only 4 seconds. This continued for another couple of days and then it started to suddenly lose time so that after eight days, it was -1 seconds slow. The only thing out of the ordinary that I did whilst I was in Singapore was go to Universal Studios on that first day and riding on some roller coasters with my kids. I've previously been on roller coasters with this watch before without any problems.

After I returned home I re-synchronised my watch to local network time and it went back to being its usual self, running at about +3.5 seconds a day on the wrist and +4.5 seconds a day on the watch winder. I have been wearing this watch for the past 8 days and it has started playing up again. After the first 5 days, it gained 16 seconds. So, running at +3.2 seconds a day. On the morning of Day 6, I noted that it was only 12 seconds fast compared to local network time when it had been 17 seconds fast the previous evening. In other words, it lost 5 seconds overnight despite no change in my daily routine. Later on that day, after 6 hours, I noticed that it was only 10 seconds fast compared to network time. The following morning, Day 7, I noticed that the watch seemed to have stabilised at +10 seconds compared to network time. This morning, Day 8, it is +13 seconds compared to network time so it seems to have gone back to it's usual self.

I know that this watch is, by definition, still running to within specs (-4/+6 secs a day). However, what concerns me is this erratic behaviour and whether this could be a sign of something untoward going on inside. Has anyone else here experienced something similar with any of your watches? Many thanks in advance for your responses.

It all sounds like the watch is running within reasonable expectations even if it's not what you're normally accustomed to.
If in doubt take it to a good watchmaker to give it a thorough look over when convenient. Until then I wouldn't be too concerned.
Where in Oz are you located?

It all sounds like the watch is running within reasonable expectations even if it's not what you're normally accustomed to.
If in doubt take it to a good watchmaker to give it a thorough look over when convenient. Until then I wouldn't be too concerned.
Where in Oz are you located?
Thank you for your advice. PM sent.

I don't see anything there that is terribly unusual, other than the loss of 5 seconds overnight. Did you by any chance store the watch in a different position than normal?

I don't see anything there that is terribly unusual, other than the loss of 5 seconds overnight. Did you by any chance store the watch in a different position than normal?
Hi Archer. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
No, the watch was not stored in a different position to normal. I always have it resting dial up on my bedside table overnight.

The fact that the abrupt difference overnight was 5 seconds makes me wonder if you misread the time. That’s incredibly easy to do when visually comparing to a time source. Did you check it multiple times, or just determine a single 5 second difference?

When I want to make sure I get the time difference as correct as possible, I take a pic of my watch in front of the time source. That way I can compare again and make sure.

In this case, the watch reads 12:55:10, but time.gov reads 12:54:56 (so my watch is 14 seconds fast). I think you may have misread the watch as 12:55:15 (for example) — i.e., 5 seconds off.

Just a thought. Unless it continues to make abrupt jumps, I think this might be the culprit.

Not an Omega but I had an unusual spike with my 2 year old ZEP not too long ago, but since it went back to normal after that don't feel having it looked at:

The nearer you get to the equator, the faster you are moving. This means that time is slowing down for both you and your watch in relation to the rest of the world. The real Dr. Evil would know this.

The nearer you get to the equator, the faster you are moving. This means that time is slowing down for both you and your watch in relation to the rest of the world. The real Dr. Evil would know this.
Yes, I'm an impostor 😁

It’s the gravity, I think. Local gravity is higher away from the equator - a lot of people don’t realize the the equator is 21 km farther from the center of the Earth than the poles. Since the OP’s watch was used to experiencing higher gravity forces, it was shocked when going to the equator. That caused oscillations in the time-keeping and it hasn’t been damped out yet.

😉

The fact that the abrupt difference overnight was 5 seconds makes me wonder if you misread the time. That’s incredibly easy to do when visually comparing to a time source. Did you check it multiple times, or just determine a single 5 second difference?

When I want to make sure I get the time difference as correct as possible, I take a pic of my watch in front of the time source. That way I can compare again and make sure.

In this case, the watch reads 12:55:10, but time.gov reads 12:54:56 (so my watch is 14 seconds fast). I think you may have misread the watch as 12:55:15 (for example) — i.e., 5 seconds off.

Just a thought. Unless it continues to make abrupt jumps, I think this might be the culprit.
Hi Donn. Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I did check my watch multiple times with the time source to make sure I wasn't misreading it. It's now +17 seconds after 9 days according to this website...

But only +15 seconds according to the "atomic time" app on my phone, which is what I've been using each day. Interesting how there's a 2 second difference between the two time sources despite both claiming to be "atomic time".

🍿 anyone consider magnetic fields. Those roller coasters have DC motors.

On the other hand it is easy to measure gravity which is the hardest force to explain. (temperature on the other is easiest to explain and hardest to measure.)
https://nasaviz.gsfc.nasa.gov/11234

-j

On the other hand it is easy to measure gravity which is the hardest force to explain. (temperature on the other is easiest to explain and hardest to measure.)

-j

Interesting perspective👎
Temp was one consideration that had crossed my mind.
But the DC motor issue may have played a rather significant roll on a transient basis now that you mention it👍

As the watch is currently running well I'm inclined to assume it's within the realms of normality for a mechanical movement.
Little aberrations in timekeeping happen at times even with the best of them😀

Hi Donn. Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I did check my watch multiple times with the time source to make sure I wasn't misreading it. It's now +17 seconds after 9 days according to this website...

But only +15 seconds according to the "atomic time" app on my phone, which is what I've been using each day. Interesting how there's a 2 second difference between the two time sources despite both claiming to be "atomic time".

most phones determine their “atomic time” from the GPS receiver. In order to solve for the GPS position, a time bias with the atomic clocks on the GPS satellites is solved for in order to correct for the local phone time.

However, GPS time is not UTC time. UTC time corrects the atomic time with leap seconds to align with minute changes in earth rotation. GPS does not do this, so is off by 30(?) seconds at the moment (not sure of the exact value as I write this. I bet your phone fixed that several years ago but leap seconds have been added since then (we even subtracted one recently). This could explain the bias.

doesn’t matter that much for tracking time-keeping of a watch as long as you are consistent. I use the UTC because it is currently “official” time. But people are pushing to make GPS time “official” because they think we shouldn’t be adding/subtracting leap seconds.

-j
Thanks for your suggestion of magnetic fields. I was actually wondering if sudden jolts on the roller coaster could have caused a tiny bit of movement on the regulating arm, or if acceleration forces could have caused the hairspring to coil up or uncoil etc. Temperature was another factor I was considering, as I was going from a daytime temp of 10deg Celcius to 28deg Celcius.

Thanks for your suggestion of magnetic fields. I was actually wondering if sudden jolts on the roller coaster could have caused a tiny bit of movement on the regulating arm, or if acceleration forces could have caused the hairspring to coil up or uncoil etc. Temperature was another factor I was considering, as I was going from a daytime temp of 10deg Celcius to 28deg Celcius.
A few years back the AMICA group (Association of Music instruments Collectors association aka player piano collectors) Had a convention in south Dakota. We toured the Homestake mine. They keep the tipple operational as there are deep physics experiments. The drums have like a mile of cable on them for the lifts. While we could not ride it, they did operate the cable system.

When we got back to the Hotel. Everyone's key card was erased!

-j