Forums Latest Members
  1. IanES Oct 22, 2019

I have a speedmaster triple date Automatic. I got it with a silver colored dial, silver subdials, silver battons and steel hands.

As I got older I could no longer see the time without my reading glasses.

I had the watch service BY AN AUTHORIZED UK SERVICE DEALER and requested that they also change the dial for a black one. I can now tell the time at a glance.

But. Do I have a frankenwatch? Would Omega reject a request for an extract? It certainly isn't original anymore? Maybe the dial is a modern one or a service dial?

2. asrnj77 Oct 22, 2019

I can’t see your picture:)

DaveK likes this.
  3. IanES Oct 22, 2019

Sorry. I didn't post a picture. Just asked if the fact that an AD changed the dial now means that I now have a frankenwatch. After all, it no longer matches the records at Omega.

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 22, 2019

Three different questions.

Yes, as soon as you're pretending it to be something it is not. But you can cal it modded ;)

You have to try to find out. Why would you need an extract for an automatic triple date Speedmaster?

Maybe you could post a picture to get a better answer to this question :)

connieseamaster and DaveK like this.
  5. IanES Oct 22, 2019

Sorry. Don't have a picture of the original silver dial. This is the one fitted by AD.

tripledate1024x768.jpg

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2019

Based on the photo, yes this is now a frankenwatch.

Omega allows conversions of watches, but it must be a complete conversion from one model to another model where they both share the same movement. To the best of my knowledge, Omega never made a watch like the one you have now, with a black dial, Cal. 1151, and a silver polished bezel. So you have a mix of parts from different models, which is something Omega doesn't condone.

Cheers, Al

kkt, kov and IanES like this.
  7. IanES Oct 22, 2019

Thank you very much Al. That's the kind of info I was hoping for. :)

My big mistake was not asking the AD to return the original silver dial.

8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 22, 2019

The only record Omega have of your watch is the movement number and the case reference it left the factory in.
    They won't give a toss if it has a tartan dial when you take it in to be serviced.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2019

Sorry, but this is not correct. First, there is no movement number, as these movements typically didn't come with serial numbers. The 7750 based watches of this era only had serial numbers if they were COSC certified, and the 1151 was not.

On these watches the serial number is on the outside of the case back, and that serial number will coincide with a watch reference number. In this case it's a guess, but the watch likely started life as a ref. 35213000. It now has a case for that reference, a serial number for that reference, and a dial from a ref. 35205000. Dial doesn't match the serial number, reference number, or case number (35213000 and 35205000 have different vase numbers and case backs).

The first thing I do when I get a watch in, is check the serial number to see what reference it pulls up, and I'm quite sure Omega does the same. Even without doing that, as I've said that dial doesn't go with that case.

If taken to an Omega service center, they will likely tell the OP that it has to be changed back to what it was, and they will charge for the parts required to do that. Again that is the policy clearly stated in Omega's customer service documents. Of course policies don't always get followed, so there's a chance it might not happen, but if the service center is on the ball, they will want to convert it back.

10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 22, 2019

Let me get this straight Al.
    So you are saying that Omega will only service a watch that has been modded in some way if the customer agrees to pay extra to revert the watch back to the way it originally left the factory.
    Isn't that the sort of practice that Rolex is so often slated for?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2019

Here is the relevant Omega policy...

"As a rule, OMEGA restores/reassembles all OMEGA watches to their original condition. If the movement is not of OMEGA manufacture, services will have to be refused.

OMEGA reserves the right to restore a watch to its original condition even after receipt of the approval of the estimate if, during the service process, the timepiece reveals not to be of origin. It will be decided on a case by case basis if the necessary work and components are offered free of charge or against payment. If against payment the customer will always be contacted before the work is carried out."

And yes, I've seen people on forums say that when they sent in their modded watch to a service center, Omega made them convert it back or they refused to service it.

As noted above, who pays is handled on a case by case basis, but my gut tells me this is going to be related to the costs. So for example if you send in say a 25318000 that has had sword hands installed on it, since Omega replaces hands at service anyway and it's included in the pricing already, they will just put the proper skeleton hands on the watch at no additional charge. If they have to replace something more costly, such as a dial that worth several hundred dollars as in this case, I doubt they are going to do that for free.

Now are there examples where people have sent in modded watches, and no one caught it? Yes I'm sure there are, but the policy is to bring the watch back to the factory spec. if possible.

Regarding what Rolex gets hammered for, the list is long...so this is probably on it, but at least Omega doesn't steal your parts as Rolex does.

Cheers, Al

12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 23, 2019

In my case, Omega left my modded Speedmaster alone... and the guy who bought it converted it back to a 57 Replica!

Tom