Forums Latest Members
  1. Rowdy Dec 14, 2020

I have been looking for an Aqua Terra "Skyfall" in 41.5 for a very long time. I came across one on ebay that was very much abused and looked like it had spent much of it's time on the wrist of a concrete worker. I was high bidder at $2700 usd. My intention was to send it off to Omega for a service, but after receiving it, I realized it doesn't need a service. For the past 4 days it is only -1 second. So, I spent a couple hours re-brushing the bracelet and also polished up the bezel a bit. This one will be a keeper. When it is time for a service, I will ask Omega to replace the bezel since it has some rough spots that Cape Cod couldn't take out.

AT Before Polish 1.JPG AT Before Polish 2.JPG AT Before Polish 3.JPG AT After Polish 1.JPG AT After Polish 2.JPG AT After Polish 3.JPG
    Wetworks, Happy, MauricioNO and 9 others like this.
  2. MtnMarine Dec 14, 2020

I watched this auction a couple weeks ago. Congratulations! It looks great and you got a very good deal! Enjoy it!

Turpinr and Rowdy like this.
  3. Rowdy Dec 14, 2020

Thank you. I was a bit concerned about the seller since he had such a low feedback, but after he sent additional photos of the movement, I could tell the watch was gen. Ebay also authenticated it which only took a couple extra days shipping time.

MtnMarine likes this.
  4. PRW Dec 14, 2020

Looks great, did you initially use scotch brite pads?

5. Rowdy Dec 14, 2020

The bracelet was so bad I actually used a small piece of sandpaper to get all the deep scratches out. I then used a gray scotch brite pad to go back over it. I don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner, so I dipped the bracelet in a small pan of boiling water to get all the grime and grit out of it.
    For the bezel, I taped over the crystal with masking tape and cut away the excess leaving only the bezel exposed. That allowed me to polish the bezel with a cape code polishing cloth without damaging the crystal. I used some dawn dishwashing liquid and a toothbrush to clean the watch head when I was finished.

6. PRW Dec 15, 2020

Good job, you should be really pleased with that result.

Rowdy likes this.
  7. griffith_500 Dec 15, 2020

Beautiful watch and great job with the polishing! Looks like new!

8. aleksejeremeev Dec 15, 2020

Yes, you did great. You are well done. I use 3m soft abrasive paper to remove scratches.

IMG_5752.JPG
    Turpinr and Rowdy like this.
  9. mountainunder Dec 15, 2020

You're so good!
    You're a craftsman.

Rowdy likes this.
  10. jeelan Dec 15, 2020

Great job on the polish and finish mate, must have taken some work.

That being said i must admit i really enjoy seeing watches that are worn - it always leaves me wondering what stories would be attached to those watches and what life they must have seen. Clearly the previous owner had no qualms about scratches and wore it though thick and thin....

Rowdy likes this.
  11. maskwp Dec 15, 2020

Wow, that's a seriously used AT it seems! I think your result is good but I would never polish any of my watches. I like to wear them and I also like signs of use as reminders of some good adventures ideally ; ) This summer I scratched the side of my AT while I was swimming with my kids in a beautiful mountain lake - that memory comes back every time I see the scratch. That's exactly what makes watches valuable to me. One more thing: I prefer to scratch my watches myself so I can understand your approach. Congrats to you AT, may it be a great companion for whatever you will do!

12. 3rdstringholder Dec 15, 2020

You attacked it exactly as I would have. Only I would have found a way to butcher the thing. I'm typically all thumbs when it comes to being intricate and delicate. Great job!

Rowdy likes this.
  13. aleksejeremeev Dec 16, 2020

That is why he did not polish the watch. HE took a watch in his hands and recalled his adventures. )))))

Rowdy likes this.
  14. janice&fred Dec 16, 2020

Or...The seller was disgusted with how he beat the thing up and sold it on Ebay to our OP :D

Rowdy likes this.
  15. Rowdy Dec 17, 2020

I can appreciate that. Being that I plan on keeping this AT for a while, I thought I would clean the slate and start my own memories with it.

Turpinr, maskwp, jeelan and 2 others like this.
  16. mz_cle Dec 17, 2020

Congrats! Wear it in good health, and make some great memories.

I love a well done date window, and the Skyflal AT has one of my favorite.

17. rohada Dec 17, 2020

I've found that a Dremel tool with the cloth material polishing wheel attachment works miracles in a few of my applications. I use the reddish polish that comes in the Dremel kit. I recently purchased a Tag Heuer Monza Chronograph and the polished bezel was scratched up, no gouges, but still scratched. Taped it off and methodically (patiently) did one side of the square bezel at a time and it did wonders. Looks new. Don't try to do everything in one pass. The other application was on my 2296.80 with rose gold. The bezel and links scratch easily and the same combination put an "as new" shine on it. Light pressure is your friend. I have performed wet sanding on one of my Omegas due to a deeper scratch and then worked it out with less aggressive abrasives, culminating in the above mentioned polish. Actually got comfortable with this process while buying, restoring, and selling stainless steel firearms. Watches are just on a much smaller scale. I use the above mentioned pads on brushed stainless steel and titanium and it works great.

18. IanF Dec 17, 2020

Great looking watch. Well done and enjoy!

19. aleksejeremeev Jan 4, 2021

Dremel is a good tool but it is necessary to make sure that the speed of the roller is small.