Forums Latest Members

Diver 300 8800 erratic time keeping

1. Bimmerman77 Sep 29, 2019

Hey everyone. Here is my dilemma, and I hope someone could help me. I purchased my SMP 8800 in December from my AD. It has consistently running at +.5 to +1 day up until about two weeks ago. Now it’s at -1 to -3 a day. Watch has never seen impact, dropped etc. I’ve tested it in my timegrapher, and the results are showing -2 out of the 6 positions, -1, 0, and finally a +2. Any idea what could have caused the slowdown? It splits wrist time with my 5 digit sub and 2254, both of which are running great.

NomDeLaNom likes this.
  2. cjoedaniel Sep 29, 2019

Mine was was ticking away just fine with known positions to self regulate.. So I had it at +0s.Then 3 months in the tolerances changed in the same positions. I attributed it to the change in ambient temperature as it got warmer. The tolerances were different but at least consistent. Now it is getting cold here again so I am curious to see if it will change back but I'm not holding my breath.
    I'm at +8s now after 7 months as my overnight crown up position is only getting me -.3s when it used to be more like - 2s. So harder to self regulate.

NomDeLaNom and Bimmerman77 like this.
  3. Bimmerman77 Sep 29, 2019

Thanks for your reply. I tried self regulate but it’s still running slow in all positions, which is strange bc the timegrapher tells a different story. I can deal w a fast watch, but the change in accuracy is what’s really nagging me

NomDeLaNom likes this.
  4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 29, 2019

Not likely.

Magnetism! I just demagged my 2254 Seamaster Professional. Some positions were -14. When I was done the positional variance was -1 to +3 with decent amplitude.

Your watchmaker will likely demagnetize for free.

iDevices have STRONG magnets in them. Don't set your watch on your iPad!

Tom

hick8711 likes this.
  5. Bimmerman77 Sep 29, 2019

I checked for magnetism but it’s not. Plus it passed the Metas testing. I’m going to test it again this week and see if i have to send it in.

6. cjoedaniel Sep 29, 2019

15000 gauss strong?

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  7. Bimmerman77 Sep 29, 2019

Yea my wife magnetized her Deville and it was 5 minutes fast. But it’s not a metas watch

8. cjoedaniel Sep 29, 2019

I also went from a bracelet to nato which can also affect timing because it just wears differently.

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  9. Bimmerman77 Sep 29, 2019

If the SMP came to me slow it would be a different story. The sudden change out of the blue is what has me worried. Almost a year of running fast then BOOM, it’s slow.

10. cjoedaniel Sep 29, 2019

I do remember mine going from perfect to slow at first at that 3 month mark but then it settled a bit and I was able to get back in the + direction.

Also rotating watches is tricky as it's hard to consistently keep track of wrist time/power reserve. I do notice if I'm wearing the SMP less and it's winding down, it does affect my rate.

Did you recently change something in your rotation?

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  11. Bimmerman77 Sep 29, 2019

No not at all. I wear each watch anywhere from 2 days to a week. I keep them on my orbita winders when not in use. My other watches that don’t get worn much stay in the watch boxes. I’ve tested it at 100% and 50% power, and it’s still slow. My other master chronometer, my AT 8900, has been running flawlessly for almost two years without a hiccup

Commisar likes this.
  12. cjoedaniel Sep 29, 2019

Sounds like you are very diligent about your watches. Hopefully things will slowing shift to the + side in the next few days/weeks. I don't use winders but I can see how having them could help with the power reserve issue. Is the SMP going into the same winder?

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  13. Bimmerman77 Sep 29, 2019

Yup same winder. My orbita has four winders and each is programmed independently of each other. I have the TPD correct so I’m stumped man. It’s the only piece I have that’s ever done this besides watches that needed a service from years of use.

14. Dan S Sep 29, 2019

Sounds like it's still running within specs, right? What do you think they would do if you sent it in?

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  15. Bimmerman77 Sep 29, 2019

Not sure. It’s technically within specs although Metas is supposed to be 0 to +6 for this watch. If it came to me this way I could live with it, but for it to happen out of the blue is strange. I’ve had good dealings with Omega service in NJ, not Miami, so hopefully it’ll get sorted out.

Dan S likes this.
  16. cjoedaniel Sep 29, 2019

Hmm I guess the only thing I can think of is that it may have taken a slight knock/bump at a particular angle while wearing.. That stuff happens and usually out of your control or goes unnoticed at the time.
    I try to be really careful but once in a while mine will get tapped at the edge of a desk or doorway.
    Anyway keep us posted on what Omega has to say.

17. Bimmerman77 Sep 29, 2019

Will definitely keep you updated. I don’t remember ever bumping this thing, but you never know.

18. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 30, 2019

Nor likely! The 8800 is much less susceptible to magnetism than the 1120 as it uses a silicon balance spring. I doubt that is the issue. More likely a knock, or a local lube issue.

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  19. Bimmerman77 Sep 30, 2019

Exactly. Plus magnetism causes crazy time discrepancies

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 30, 2019

It's likely just changes in wearing habits, and how much time it spends in various positions through the day. The change isn't all that significant when you take into account that the 8800 is allowed to have positional variation of as much as 14 seconds over 6 positions at full wind, and 16 seconds at 24 hours after full wind.

In contrast the old tried and true 1120 was allowed to have from -1 to +6 second average rate, with the positional variation over 5 positions to be 12 seconds at full wind, and 15 and 24 hours after full wind. I haven't done any sort of serious analysis on the difference here, but the 8800 is certainly not a particularly tightly tolerance movement. Not as bad as the 8700 series (the loosest in term of timing tolerances), but no where near as good as the 8900.

And as I've noted many times, the "0 to +6" range is for the average rate, so individual positions can definitely be well outside that range, and if your watch is spending more time in a slow position, you will get a slow overall rate. Also, be sure you are checking it to a known good time source.

Cheers, Al

Bimmerman77 likes this.