Forums Latest Members

Discarded watch - any value?

1. lawler Dec 2, 2022

My partner has been given a watch that no-one wanted as it was just going to be chucked in the bin.

I am not sure if it’s got any value attached to it now but the mechanism seems to be working fine - just the front looks a bit worse for wear.

Google seems to suggest that it’s a LeCoultre Momovex Calibre 916 made back in the 70’s in the US. It also seems to have an interesting parking meter alarm feature which is shown by the ‘P’ on the dial.

Anyone got any idea whether it’s worth repairing or whether it should be binned?

860702AE-5733-4CE1-92E5-01D5F9C55968.jpeg C9796527-F43D-40BD-AA0C-9C4B918B1AC1.jpeg 2284A924-59D4-4F52-8B37-2AE83F9FF766.jpeg
  2. ghce Dec 2, 2022

Keep keep keep.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 2, 2022

Just send it to me, I'll strip it and re-cycle all parts into their appropriate bins so that ecological aspects of responsible disposal can be maintained.

Well, maybe......:D

Eve, noelekal, Scarecrow Boat and 9 others like this.
  4. janice&fred Dec 2, 2022

Why would the only alternative to holding onto the watch be discarding it? Seems extreme or at the very least overly dramatic.

Eve, Waltesefalcon, Duracuir1 and 3 others like this.
  5. morethan1 Dec 2, 2022

these threads are always hilarious. there I said it.

Larry S likes this.
  6. lawler Dec 2, 2022

Well it seems to be worth getting the face repaired and having it serviced so I will take to Russell Talerman in Bond Street next week to see what he suggests.

The movement seems to be running fine and the parking alarm function is an interesting quirk, so once repaired I will probably keep it to wear.

Thanks all for the advice!

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 2, 2022

There is a mint example on Chrono 24 for $4400 USD. So yea, don’t “bin” it.

8. lawler Dec 2, 2022

I tried searching for the same watch but couldn't find any listings.

Would you mind sharing the link?

9. Jonathan40 Dec 2, 2022

You might be in for around the £800 - 1000 mark to get it back into top condition, Ensure they explain to you what they are going to do with the dial as less is more in this area.
    Lovely thing and enjoy it when it’s been cleaned and services

10. lawler Dec 2, 2022

11. Kraal90 Dec 2, 2022

Someone tried polishing the road outside their house with the dial

12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 2, 2022

Don't get too excited at these multi-thousand dollar price tags.

Firstly, your watch has a heavily damaged dial and is missing at least one part (the seconds hand) and looks like it might be missing something on the winding rotor. It may be missing more. Secondly, the prices you see on Chrono24 are the asking prices - not the sold prices. Assuming they weren't freshly listed (which most watches on Chrono24 aren't), that means nobody wants to buy them at those prices.

Your watch is certainly worth money. The brand and model are well loved. I would expect its worth to be in the hundreds. Maybe 350$-$450? A little more or less. But don't take my word on it. I'm not knowledgeable enough on these for a confident estimate.

Check Ebay's sold prices for a more honest representation of value: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=alarm+LeCoultre&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udlo=&_salic=1&_ipg=240&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_in_kw=1&_dmd=1&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_stpos=12901-1658&_odkw=Momovex+LeCoultre&_osacat=0&_samilow=&_sop=12&_ex_kw=&_samihi=&_udhi=&_sadis=15Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Dec 2, 2022
  13. lawler Dec 2, 2022

Thanks all - and yes I am certainly not getting excited by the larger figures being mentioned.

I learnt the hard way previously buying a UG Polerouter which I couldn't source a motor for which needed repair - which then sold at a loss.

That's why I wanted to check whether it is even worth trying to get repaired or not. I don't really just want to chuck good money after bad!

sheepdoll likes this.
  14. sheepdoll Dec 2, 2022

There are some of us who have drawers and bins full of similar watches. Threads on such watches too. Such as the in for a penny in for a pound thread.

Even worse is I have parts that are over a century old and possibly some which are over 2 centuries old. Disposable watches have only been about over the last 50 to 60 years. Most watches were built to last passed down the family. Which did not go over well when mass production took hold after WWII and millions (Billions?) were made.

Still one reason I hate to get rid of a watch, is that someday I might need that part for something, or else find the parts I need to fix the one I have. And while I am a steampunk, I hated seeing watches used for art. On the other hand that might be the best use for some of the pocket watch parts I have.

A bit of an unrelated non-sequiter --
    I once heard quantum mechanics described as loading fine Swiss watches into two cannons. Then firing the cannons at each other. One then attempts to determine how the watch works by picking up the pieces and attempting to re-assemble them. Perhaps some sort of demolition derby can be done with old watches.
    I have also had an idea when seeing some auctions of watches by the pound, of mixing such watches with cement and using as an aggregate instead of stones. The old Benicia Arsenal did this with some of the civil war ordnance. Sparkled in the sunlight.

noelekal likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 2, 2022

Point I was making, badly, I guess was that the watch isn’t trash.

16. Dan S Dec 2, 2022

It's going to be a personal choice. In general, it's a desirable model. However, the dial is probably beyond salvaging, and that is a large part of the watch's value. If you restored it and sold it, you would likely lose money. In your place, if there were no sentimental value, I would sell it to someone who wanted the parts.

17. ghce Dec 2, 2022

Or find a replacement dial NOS or 2nd hand.

Dan S likes this.
  18. lawler Dec 2, 2022

Thanks all.

Any idea of the worth just based on as it is - for parts or for someone to take on for a restoration project?

19. mayankyadav Dec 2, 2022

I just saw an ad of this watch on a FB group with same pics and a claim that this keeps good time. I hope its by you as the last name matches.
    Probably a good idea to sell it instead of trashing it.