Forums Latest Members

Disappointing aborted transaction with forum member

1. noiseboyuk Feb 10, 2018

I hope it’s ok just to ‘vent’ on this forum.
    I’ve always stood by my word and agreement in all sales and purchase transactions. My word is my bond and up to now I’ve found the same attitude amongst us watch collectors and enthusiasts. Of course, sometimes things go a bit wrong, but always get sorted out fairly and amicably.
    Anyway - cutting to the chase.
    I found a watch on eBay that I fancied as a bit of a ‘project’.
    I asked the seller if he had a buy it now price and after a bit of negotiation we agreed a deal.
    Very shortly afterwards he aborted the agreed deal - it didn’t take much to discover that he’d had a couple of decent bids on eBay and saw dollar signs.
    I was a bit ‘miffed’ that he’d backed out, but hey, s**t happens.
    So - today I’m looking through the sales forum and there is the same watch with a link to eBay but with a sales price on the forum of €800 (note to the mods - the seller only had 97 posts).
    After a couple of PM’s a deal was agreed (again) and I received a Paypal payment request - but for the wrong amount.
    Before I could query the Paypal request, I received another PM from the seller saying that he’d received a better offer and he was aborting the agreed deal with me again !!
    I realise that I was a bit naive and ‘once bitten twice shy’ should have been my moral - but after all my previous enjoyable, honest and honourable transactions with fellow enthusiasts, I really didn’t envisage such behaviour.
    Anyway - rant over - just be careful if you ever consider dealing with ‘Virro’.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 10, 2018

Seller would have had to have had prior approval to post the item for sale. Regarding the aborted deals: Personally, I would have stuck by the original deal as a matter of integrity. Of course, not everyone feels the same.

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 10, 2018

I agree that, a deal is a deal. From what you describe, you had a Virtual Handshake and IMO all that was needed was your payment.
    As double dealing as the seller was, did he ask you to match the better offers?. If I understand correctly you were in the deal before the other offers.

4. GordonL Feb 10, 2018

me likewise. call me naive or just plain stupid but I think my "word" is worth something.

5. repoman Feb 10, 2018

Once a deal is struck, a deal is a deal and the seller should honor it. To back out because of a higher offer afterward is the kind of thing that would prevent me from ever doing business with such a person. There is a "Seller Profiles and Review" section of the forum for just this kind of thing.

6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Feb 10, 2018

Hopefully we hear the sellers side. @virro

George.A and GordonL like this.
  7. cristos71 Feb 10, 2018

I noticed this listing too. I don't really understand how it is possible to run a no-reserve EBay auction and also have it for sale here with a fixed price?

What happens to the top Ebay bidder when a deal is struck here? I could understand an EBay BIN/Make an offer listing which is more a classified ad.

Having said that the EBay auction is for "Private bidders" with no details shown and I have my opinions about that modus operandi....

8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 10, 2018

My .02...you are probably much better off. Sounds like a seller that is not honorable...which generally indicates you would have had other issues after you purchased. Count yourself fortunate that you didnt buy the watch and move on...there are plenty of other options available.

The best advise I can offer is buy the seller not the watch.

Kmart, cosmofox, watchknut and 15 others like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 10, 2018

I have not sold here yet. But I’ve been a regular buyer. When I do sell ... I will put goodwill in this community first. As should we all.

jB1128, Kmart, sdre and 12 others like this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 10, 2018

@noiseboyuk You aren’t exactly squeaky clean either. The whole thing about tapping up ebay auction listers for their bin price is annoying and an attempt to prey on their ignorance. I am sure any other bidders on that item have a less than charitable view about you. This time you hit someone with less scruples than yourself but be aware that both practices look a little sharp.

MaiLollo, vintagestuff and Kwijibo like this.
  11. GordonL Feb 10, 2018

Fair point. If you fly with the crows you'll be shot with the crows (as my old school headmaster told me many years ago while he gave me 6 of the best...)

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 10, 2018

No idea what this means but it seems supportive in spirit :thumbsup:

mayankyadav likes this.
  13. noiseboyuk Feb 10, 2018

Accepted - you are of course quite correct.
    But in my defence, it was only an enquiry that turned into a deal. I’m pretty sure that eBay allow auctions to have a ‘buy it now’ option added at any time.
    Incidentally, the deal agreed was by no means a ‘steal’.
    Had the sellers response been different, I would have bid in the normal manner and possibly won the auction for less than the agreed price - who knows.

Traveler, repoman, sdre and 4 others like this.
  14. MikeMan2727 Feb 10, 2018

15. glownyc Feb 10, 2018

They do not.

Still don't agree with how the seller handled things though.

16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 10, 2018

In defense of the OP. I, and others OFers, message ebay sellers to inquire about a BIN price.
    I attempt to ask very early in their post. Ebay allows a seller to end an auction and make a direct deal..... thru eBay.
    Alternatively, many members list on eBay but will make a deal off of eBay as well.

In defense of @virro, I had a hassle free transaction, last month, with Victor.

So I guess I am neutral.:)

But eBay does allow a sale to be canceled if there are no bids. A BIN sale can then be started.

Edited Feb 10, 2018
  17. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 10, 2018

Ebay has the option to end the auction and sell to the highest bidder.
    To end a listing early and cancel all bids or sell to the high bidder:
    1. Go to My eBay > Selling and find the item.

2. From the More actions drop-down menu, select End My Listing Early.

3. If there are bids on your item, choose how you want to end your listing.
      • If there are 12 or more hours before the end of the listing, select Cancel bids and end listing early or Sell item to high bidder.

• If there are fewer than 12 hours before the end of the listing, your only option is Sell item to high bidder.

Note: If your item has no bids, you can skip this step
    4. Select the reason you're ending your listing early and click End My Listing.

18. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 10, 2018

And you will pay a 10% penalty based on the highest bid.

19. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 10, 2018

Not if you sell it.

20. MikeMan2727 Feb 10, 2018

The sneakiest of sneaks cancel all bids first and then end the listing.